Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i haven't kept up with anime much in the past couple of years but between shaman king and twewy now seems like a good time to get back into watching stuff as it airs... now to just hope both dont suck poo poo

other stuff im looking at: 86, odd taxi, shadows house, seijo no maryoku, and probably edens zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Depending on how this shakes out the song may end up lost media, which sucks. I wasn't really a fan of it myself, bc it really felt out of place compared to what the game's OST is like, but it still sucks to hear. A lot of really good musicians have gotten exiled for dumb poo poo like this (rip Hideki Taniuchi, your work on Kaiji was incredible), and the fact they're being silent on what the charges are past 'misconduct' is...unfortunately telling.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Finally got caught up on everything that looked interesting this season that's already airing. (Still waiting for TWEWY, 86, and Shadows House)

Mars Red rules, its style and presentation reminds me of ACCA a lot (in a good way), and it's definitely got me curious to see where it's going.
Dragon House Hunting is cute, agree with the sentiment I've seen from a lot of people that I'm not exactly sure how it's gonna carry through a whole season, but even if it ends up being essentially a fluff show without much meat I'll probably still watch all of it.
Odd Taxi is going to be interesting, but I'm waiting for that other shoe to drop so I can really get a feel for what kind of show it's wanting to be. Hesitantly my favorite of the season so far.
Vivy definitely has a lot of potential, but it also has a lot of room to absolutely crash and fail to stick the landing at any point- though the first two episodes at least give me hope it will. Great production values, an all-star group of people working on it... I've just been burned by anime in the past that by all accounts SHOULD'VE been great and just. crashed hard.
I mentioned it in the actual thread, but the Shaman King reboot had a really strong first episode, but I'm also incredibly biased as the manga was one of my favorites growing up.
I didn't know whether I'd like Saint's Magic Power going in, but there was just enough here to keep me interested- I got the impression there might be a plot thread that's more politics-y in nature (specifically, the implication that the other Saint might either be fake, or the Prince might be intentionally keeping her from her duties), but it's too early to call. Kinda wish we'd gotten some, like...actual characterization, though. It's loving baffling to me that there was literally zero interaction between our protagonist and the other woman summoned to this world (or, like. literally anything from her, period- did she even get any lines?), but again, only the beginning, so who knows.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

kirtar posted:

No, the other girl did not get any lines other than maybe a surprised gasp if that even counts. I don't think we've even gotten her name at this point.

hopefully we get something like that in ep 2 or 3, because like. you'd think even if the rest of the people at the palace dropped Sei like a sack of bricks that the other girl would still, you know, want to talk with the literal only other human being from the same world as her?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

honestly just something like 'they have an overactive imagination' or 'looks like someone never grew out of middle school' would work imo (if edgy doesn't, obviously)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Grouchio posted:

So Kirsten Sinema

i mean, politics would probably be more interesting if sometimes during senate meetings they started shouting about how their demon arm is threatening to break free if this bill doesn't pass or whatever, sure.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ok fine you all convinced me i'll start back arrow after i catch up on the rest of this season

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Here's my thoughts on the season now that we're like halfway through:

Still Watching:
OddTaxi - Favorite of the season still. Possibly AOTY, too. The way all the characters are interconnected and bounce off each other and the gradual deepening of the mysteries make me confident this is gonna stick the landing if nothing else. Gives me incredible Paranoia Agent vibes in the best way possible.
86 - Desperately hoping this will stick the landing, but so far so good. Possibly going to be in the top five for the year, if it can keep it up. I appreciate that it's actually one of the best critiques/dissections of fascism that we've gotten in recent seasons and isn't trying to both sides anything, at least from what I've seen so far. (Fingers crossed.)
Mars Red - Still very nice to watch visually. I really like seeing the combination of the supernatural vampire stuff set against the industrial 1920s setting, and I'm also appreciating that it's got a more mature tone with the action being an accent rather than the main focus. Very funny to see people who are mad it ISN'T an action anime, though. That said, the dub is loving insane- the decision to make the journalist lady and her boss have a weird cockney/valley girl accent hybrid in the EARLY 1900S IN JAPAN loving kills me any time they're onscreen because of how jarringly weird it is.
Vivy - Do I really need to talk about this one lol. It's good! We all know it's good. Not my favorite this season but I'm definitely enjoying it!
Shaman King - I was always gonna like this because SK was one of my favorite manga as a kid, and the adaptation is fine. It's okay! I dunno if it's gonna pick up any new fans that weren't already into the original, but depending on how it adapts future content...
TWEWY - Same vein as Shaman King. Even though trying to shove the entire story of the game into one cour is an insane undertaking, I was always going to like it because of how big TWEWY was for me when it first launched.

Dropped:
Dragon Goes House-Hunting - More of just 'put on hold indefinitely', if I decide I wanna ever watch any more of it down the line I might finish it up, but I've had my fill for now.
Shadows House - :shrug: I dunno, it just didn't hook me. I didn't dislike it, it's just not really my thing I guess? Gave it the old three episodes try and everything.
Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent - I just wanted a nice anime about making poo poo with magic, why'd it have to be a harem :eng99: Its not actually bad or anything, I just...am not interested in those kind of stories lmfao

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i liked rokka and wouldve watched a s2 :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The stuff I'm going to start watching for Summer 2021 are:

Sonny Boy (because that teaser episode sold me incredibly hard)
Battle in 5 Seconds (because I actually have read the manga and am really curious how they're going to adapt this)
Night Head 2041 (the other Night Head anime is on my plan to watch list, but is this like a remake/reimagining?)
D_CIDE TRAUMUREI (stupid name, but the PV looks neat and I liked the music it had for the PV. probably either gonna drop the ball hard or be a sleeper hit)

There's a couple whose premise I was kind of interested in but the PV did not sell me on it, so I'm going to wait to see the reactions and go from there:
Meikyuu Black Company
Vanitas Case Study
Detective is Already Dead

also im holding off on Scarlet Nexus til I can find out whether it spoils the game or not bc I was actually kind of interested in the game.