Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm curious to see how nagatoro differs from takagi-san, because the former seems a bit more extreme and the latter i thought was too gentle

odd taxi, shadows house interest me. combatants could be neat but also seems excessively horny so idk. i don't fall in for that generally speaking. i guess i'll see what the dragon looking for an apartment anime is like too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

placid romance owns

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wow not a single likeable character in combatants. they threaded the needle

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tales of Woe posted:

so it's in keeping with konosuba then
yeah i guess so!!

it's also taking place on a fantasy planet like some kinda star ocean so they can just do konosuba with different idiots

now i'm watching the dragon house hunting show. the celtic pop OP is a bop

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have no idea how the dragon house hunting show can sustain itself over a full season (maybe it'd be better as an 11 minute series), but letty is a sweet boy that deserves to be protected

i guess house hunting shows in general sustain themselves just by showing off neat houses. i'd be fine with seeing every jrpg monster's ideal living space

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also letty the dragon walks like the guy in the malt-o-meal commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YWNBqKpKHU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

psyer posted:

Farewell, My Dear Cramer - 01

Animation wise, it is fairly standard sports anime animation like Ace of the Diamond and others. Not great but passable enough. Story wise, it pretty much follows the manga with some changes here and there. It is a football sports anime about women's high school football.

The art is much better in the manga than the anime.

One annoying thing is how the layer the characters faces over fences.

wow they learned how to mask in Premiere

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got to episode 4 of MHA s1 and stopped. that's my mha sstory and i hope you enjoyed it

i got twice as far into phantom in the twilight so i dont know what that says about my taste in anime

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

based on the opening minutes of ep2, dragon house hunting is getting a "it's a comedy? let's put in language like 'come at me bro' and 'heroes are the ultimate cringe'" localization. can't wait for all the epic memery XD hope they make a freakin FTW "that's gonna be a no from me dawg" reference :twisted:

e: i was just gonna talk about, when's the realtor gonna realize that letty ain't got any money because he's a child? but i forgot that when the bad subs happened

anyway, looks like my initial hunch was right, that the show is largely going to be fantasy house tours and i'm all for that. at least the bad subs were only a couple of lines and it's not some Ninja Nonsense poo poo

....i say that and then the second half suddenly dials up the jokes/references to machine gun pace. feels like the show can't decide if it wants to be gentle comedy with a slightly mean edge like the first episode, or a wacky comedy with constant jokes/gags and 4th wall breaking like sleepy princess

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 11, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

esselfortium posted:

Which English word you would use to translate "chuunibyou"?
LARPer would probably work fine, but it's not 1 to 1 since LARPers aren't actually delusional. if you wanted to strip out any modern colloquialism you could just say "they're heroes in name only". but dearia already kind of says that, explaining that heroes are basically for-hire goons. "they are indeed cringe" is just some localizer hoping that shot will be clipped and spread on twitter

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

esselfortium posted:

This is the absolute last thing that any translator wants.
then I guess just translate it as i said it

if at any point letty says "wow! this house is truly poggers" i will leave my body

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

A very direct translation of a comedy is gonna be pretty bad. Needs localization to preserve a joke.
i agree, actually, i just disliked those couple of lines

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bass reeves was forced into fighting with his master for the south but it didn't last long because he was a better shot than his master and at one point he just clocked his master in the face during a card game and bolted

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's interesting because there are certainly aspects of it that do exist in the West, but we just never came up with a catchy term for it (as an umbrella term for all of them). Like people who think they're the reincarnation of Dragons or aliens etc.
otherkin

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Funi app also uses Roku's system subtitle settings. they're not as intricate as the settings shown above but you can remove the background, make the text larger, put an outline around the text, choose from a few fonts, etc

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

when will someone adapt bonnouji

i dont care that it ended a decade ago

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what happens if a person is hit by a truck and killed and sent to a fantasy world, but then struck by a carriage in the fantasy world and killed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i feel like i just wrote a gag manga biyori skit if that show still existed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm excitede for when myne in bookworm develops Read or Die powers and has to fight giant monsters made out of books

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

looks like they chose Die over Read

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't know if i would call my ex-arm watch a hatewatch but it was definitely watching a zeppelin crash over and over while going "wow"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ultimately for me, copaganda is copaganda... it doesn't have to be insidious or intentional, it just further pushes a message of 'police are the good guys who stop the bad guys'. in japan it might take hold differently than in america, but in america there's a huge percentage of pea brains that internalized that message as literally and childishly as humanly possible and it sucks. but our country also has a gun within 12 feet of you at all times no matter where you are, and our police are fitted like space marines, so naturally that kind of indoctrination is more dangerous here than anywhere else

so yeah, it is different. and i can grok that. people in japan did turn out and show up during the george floyd protests though, so they know what's up. it was pretty rad to see protesting all around the world actually

ninjewtsu posted:

well, they weren't really viewed negatively here until pretty recently i don't think! honestly if we're talking about american media i'm not even sure they're typically depicted negatively, so much as the recent political climate has shown a light on the difference between how cops are depicted in media vs how they actually behave
COPS was a huge show in america for a long time and had a pretty powerful effect. even parodies of COPS in the 90s did not specifically call out policing as problematic but just parodied the show format instead. closest you got was the Simpsons parody but that already was working off of Springfield police being incompetent in the series.

copaganda was successful enough that the rodney king trial and subsequent LA riots ended up not significantly tarnishing the reputation of policing. but i mean you look at how people still get more mad about property damage today than police brutality.. i dont really know where i'm going with this at this point. it just makes me angry i guess!!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 17, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there already is a recent not-batman anime, millionaire detective

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

A look at the plot synopsis on wikipedia though doesn't seem to suggest that they use gadgets/high tech devices to counteract powerful Quirks using quick wit, preparation and planning.
nah, instead it's a rich gently caress using gadgets and unlimited money to be a vigilante rear end in a top hat and everyone hates him

if you want someone taking down superpowered teens with preparation and planning, that's Talentless Nana

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

If they're going to make 40 anime in a year they're going to rapidly run out of actually good properties to adapt and we're going to be trapped in isekai bottom of the barrel hell forever.
i feel like the amount of isekai in a given season is generally overstated

like summer does have an absurd 9 different 'in another world' animes (two of them returning), but it also has 32 other shows... so.. idk. even in a season where it's dominant there are still dozens of other things to watch

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

i just want to know what the next fad will be
looks like there's another "goes back 10 years in their own body" anime this summer so maybe that's the next big thing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the next trend should be OG-style magical girl shows like sarutobi ecchan and chappy the witch

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kater posted:

There’s a Eureka Seven movie? Let that corpse lie dammit.
well no one watched listeners

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lupin: hey pops, d'ya ever wonder how i got these bars? *holds up gold bars*
zenigata: dammit dammit crap crap crap crap

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm just baffled how anyone has the time and energy to spend on something they don't enjoy watching :psyduck:
i watched all of ex-arm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The United States posted:

What animes are like From Dusk Til Dawn levels of deceptive where they are completely one thing for half/a good chunk and then turn into something else entirely?
blood-c