Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"I shaved and brought a high schooler home" is going to taint the anime comments thread for months to come with the poisonous discourse that poo poo will no doubt produce

Series I've read some of before and might watch if the anime version is decent:

Hopefully the nagatoro anime is good and we get plenty of noodly arms nagatoro and less of the exhibitionist class president

Combatants will be dispatched is hilarious but also incredibly mean and pretty uncomfortable at times, not sure if it'll capture the konosuba magic or not

Killing slimes for 300 years is cute and chill, I'm curious to see if it adapts well to animation since it's realllly slow and not a lot happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The mc is a nice guy who isn't a Nice Guy, he specifically goes out of his way to avoid the situation that she felt like she needed to do to have a roof over her head, but it still addresses the awkwardness of the situation. I don't know where the manga is now but it's an interesting drama, I think the last chapter of it I read had a confrontation with a terrible pickup artist ex. The comments for it on mangadex were a straight up trash fire of humanity and I can only imagine the anime's will be worse. Just the most vile deluge of "she's not a virgin so throw her in the dumpster" MRA types who absolutely will not under any circumstance consider her a human being because she used her body out of desperation to get shelter. I don't know if it as a series will stick the landing, but it's a decent drama that frequently confronts the issues headfirst rather than keeping them to the side.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 2, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait he's actively conversing with the girls? I figured it would be, if anything, one of those "don't talk to them, you might have to work in the same place as them but just don't interact" sorts of awkward situations, but now he's just another character in the series? Dude's a psychopath, she's just working at a 7-11, she could probably find another one to work at pretty easily. The series handles a lot of things relatively well but that feels like dropping the ball.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Maxwell Adams posted:

The Something Awful Forums > ADTRW > Spring 2021: No Way, Josei

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The 7th Guest posted:

wow not a single likeable character in combatants. they threaded the needle
everyone sucks in combatants and it's mostly about laughing at their misfortune. it's more about making them being shitheads funny, which hopefully they get better at adapting with the anime.

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah i guess so!!

it's also taking place on a fantasy planet like some kinda star ocean so they can just do konosuba with different idiots
the concept is they're literally sentai villains who are invading other worlds by sending in scouting parties to investigate the local civilizations/fauna and possibly sow discord to make it easier to invade. but they're all bumbling dipshits so you get Combatant Number 6 and his deadpan android helper instead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just found out that The Eminence In Shadow is getting an anime adaptation and boy I don't think I've ever been so excited for a goddamn isekai anime

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/dogemperor/status/1380201610954088451

the twewy band drummer thing wasnt actually drugs, it was email scams lol. like a nigerian prince type of thing. send me this amount of money and i will send you a larger sum, in the future
Which grandma caught on and turned him in

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 9, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Omnicrom posted:

You can probably just call him senpai, his actual name really doesn't matter very much.

As for the title character she really is something. I've not read the original source material, but I have some sense that she's trying to needle that particular uptight idiot into being slightly less of an uptight idiot. She pretty obviously has some kind of affection for senpai considering the way that Nagatoro just shut down the two faceless guys, but I wonder how much she's aware of it and if she really has any plan for what will happen if he actually does stop being a dweeb.

Also I keep watching the show expecting to smash cut into a flash forward of "and that's how i met your mother."
nagatoro and senpai have got a similar level of obliviousness-but-everyone-else-knows-it to uzaki-chan which only gets more apparent and with more side characters aggressively pushing them together as the series goes on. it's a gradual one but doesn't feel like a drag. The secondary characters eventually getting some development is nice too, like how her friend's family runs a gym. I don't really expect much of that in the anime but if we get to stuff like the Zoo trip and such, that'd be cool. unlikely we will, but it'd be nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
V8 is ok, too salty though. The spicy version is ok too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She mellows out a lot.

Also try not to call female characters that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Foghorn leghorn chastising characters with his ridiculous comparisons would be a meme I could get behind

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

What was the Nagatoro racism thing about, anyway?

I think people were saying the guy who people were posting tweets of was racist.

Because boy is he ever, jesus christ

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sindai posted:

Come With Me If You Want To Viv
yeah it's gotta be that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was intrigued by Tokyo revengers getting an anime and it was on my to-read list so I binged the entire manga up to chapter 203 recently.

It's really great for a good dozen volumes or so, but then both doesn't really do much but repeat it's main premise over and over, and does multiple things that make me just not give a poo poo about the plot or characters much at all for like 2 entire arcs. There is an "epilogue" at a certain point but then it basically goes BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! because it's a serialized shonen series and so won't end until canceled I guess.

Also I really hope you don't get attached to literally any named woman character in the series because they basically exist to be brutalized or murdered, sometimes repeatedly, and it rarely if ever feels well done. There's maybe one exception outside of hina, the main girl that takemitchi is trying to save in the first place, and even then hina is just kind of "there" in the story, she doesn't really ever get any focal time when not with takemitchi.

It's a shame. It starts off strong with some real likeable characters(draken in particular rules), but after a certain point it just bogs down in the same cycle and teases things for literally I want to say 7 volumes before ending things extremely abruptly and gratuitously, there just isn't a satisfying payoff.

I don't know where the anime will wrap up at but it'll probably be contained to the stronger earlier arcs, so at least this season will likely be worth a watch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
huh. I had no idea they greenlit a Tsukimichi anime. I dunno how much of it it will cover or if it will cover manga stuff only and not the LN stuff, but I'm interested.
https://twitter.com/myanimelist/status/1387555520400199680

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if I wanted to read about horrible monsters crushing societies and slaughtering children I'd just follow the news.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
honestly, is there anyone out there who WOULDN'T wipe out an invading army of genocidal religious zealots if given the opportunity?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dickwaffles...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

I knew slime was bad news when it made the badass oni girl into a boring normal waifu.
while I admit I'm basically only reading the manga out of habit at this point, she does get an okay fight against a necromancer(who apparently doesn't get purified by her and becomes her fanboy, which got a chuckle out of me) and Shion is, well, she's an oni with huge boobs in a business suit wielding a giant sword. I like it. I wish they'd kept her old design though, really imo it sucks a lot that for the oni upgrades it was just "look more like a typical anime human" and thus making them way more generic looking.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ooooo, that style looks good!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would read the manga anyways, I have high hopes for the anime but the manga is a 4koma style so it's never going to translate 1-1.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

marumaru posted:

Pretty true. Are there any examples of good 4koma adaptations?
I wasn't saying making an anime of a 4koma is bad, but rather it's generally a different pace or tone than an anime generally has.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
has to be shorts, there's so little substance in the series itself that they'd have to add quite a bit of anime-only content to stretch it out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aesop Poprock posted:

Do people here like Tokyo Revengers at all? I've read around half the manga and have been watching the anime which is like... literally just chapter for chapter what the manga is, word for word and panel for panel. I'm finding it entertaining but I'm wondering if it'll go total Butterfly Effect "you can't escape this poo poo" like it's been hinting at
I've posted my thoughts about it after binging the entire manga and it's very solid for a good 12 or so volumes, and then there is a point where a certain character dies and it goes off the rails extremely hard. For a bit more spoilery specificity: there is a character who is kept around basically for the express purpose of being fridged, they are around in the background a fair amount but get literally almost zero character development throughout the series because their only purpose is to be innocent and disposable, it's so blatant it's ridiculous. and they are barely referenced afterwards. the people who were responsible for their murder get more coverage than they do. it's bad

after that there's a good two full arcs that I was just like "this is just going through the motions and I don't give a single poo poo about any of this but I've trapped myself with the sunk cost fallacy", there's a good bit afterwards where it could totally end right there, but there's a moment where I literally think the editors were like "no, we have an anime airing right now, you can't end the series here" and so right back into the poo poo we went.

Also, the main character never improves. He never really betters himself beyind "I mustn't run away!!!", he just sits there and gets the poo poo beat out of him every single time until someone dives in at the last second to stop the blow that would kill him or whatever, you can set your watch to it. There is a series, Rokudou's Bad Girls, with a similarly wimpy protagonist, and there's an entire arc where he realizes he needs to knuckle down and improve if he's going to take on serious responsibilities. And he does! and it affects the rest of the manga, because he strove to improve his situation! but the Revengers protagonist barely does at all the entire time. It's purely shonen determination rather than improving himself. The situations get increasingly more absurd and the way they handle the villain of the series is just...I mean, this is a big spoiler, so don't hover over this I guess if you still care, but: when he's about to explain things, he becomes good friends with truck-kun. perfectly timed to deny any closure. it's bad

so basically, I dunno how quickly tokyo revengers the anime is going through the manga stuff, but it probably won't reach the point where it jumps the shark. that said, if there's a season 2 or it intrigues you to hop into the manga, I do not recommend continuing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Strange Quark posted:

devil is a part timer already got their s2 announced man

Really? When?

I was catching up on the manga and saw some people textually screaming about how the l just ended and it's all ruined and the worst and the worst decision was made etc

But I am extremely excited for an animated alas ramus arc regardless

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah but you could just tag it tho

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah but you could just tag it tho

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

i only know fmp for its stuff in super robot wars v where kurz meets banjo haran and gets mad about how all the women want to gently caress him, but then banjo haran gives a big speech about what it means to be a true man and kurz shouts "Whoa... I have my first man crush... and I like it!"
I thought you were talking about Baran Doban, and hell, it still applies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LudgY-BaBMQ&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nagatoro is much more teasing and not so much bullying, her and senpai are great together. Theirs is a slow one but the progression for the two of them is really nicely done. More recently the manga has started fleshing out backstories which is interesting, although the latest chapter adds a new character that might just be a "series extending character" since things were getting pretty complacent and normal so we'll see how that goes I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also a severe lack of access to firearms, so they go with whatever is cheaply and readily available that can cause as much death and damage as possible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, they figured out all the stuff with gainax trying to sequester away the licenses to prevent them from being acquired by trigger or whatever? That's cool, that sounded real hosed up when it came up in the news.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nagatoro is a noodly feline

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kater posted:

Lmao spider really did it the crazy bastards.
What'd it do

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Have each of the In Charges sit in a bunch of silhouetted movie seats and commentate the rest of the world's goings-on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shinjobi posted:

Is this manga any better? Cause good lord I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to enjoy a series where the main character has less agency than the MC of El Hazard, which while an old rear end series at least managed to work around a boring uninteresting protagonist.
check my prior posts if you want more details on what I think the series drops the ball on but it only gets worse on the uselessness front. the other characters are pretty cool, Draken is easily my favorite, but the way it handles certain characters and situations is so terrible that I'm only continuing reading it just for completion's sake since one of the recent chapters said this is the final arc. Even if you marginally enjoy the series, it does mostly the same things over and over again, and there's a solid two full arcs after a specific event that are genuinely bad typical shonen fight garbage. It was setting up a pretty solid epilogue arc but decided to jump into ~one final arc~ which is just eyeroll-worthy.

the twist in one of the latest chapters that dropped recently is so awful and also damning of one of the main character's priorities that it's pushed the series into entirely unrecommendable for me. I put it in a pastebin behind the spoiler tags below, so I guess don't click if you don't want to be spoiled:

https://pastebin.com/EuFadmkj

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 7, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The United States posted:

What animes are like From Dusk Til Dawn levels of deceptive where they are completely one thing for half/a good chunk and then turn into something else entirely?
I suppose Scrapped Princess almost fits the bill? Been a long drat time since I've seen it but I recall enjoying it and the twist as well. I'm a sucker for that sort of twist though, I'd ask what other series do that but that'd just spoil those series :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dogsicle posted:

was vivy really going to poo poo a bed of 12 solid episodes with its finale though
attack on titan chapter 139

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
she's basically a nudist so I'm guessing they've toned her down a bit for the anime version

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh my god, uramichi oniisan is getting an anime?! That's going to be a hell of a show probably, in more ways than one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nitrousoxide posted:

What shows are people looking forward to for the next season?

like 75% of maid dragon, the other 25% can gently caress off(lucoa and iruru). it really sucks that you have these two great relationship stories going on with tohru/kobayashi and kanna's, and fafnir/takiya's, with elma hanging around occasionally, but because lucoa and iruru exist it drags down the rest of the series incredibly hard. lucoa could be a perfectly fine character, her mischievous nature could be great as the prankster of the series, but everything with her and shouta is just the worst. and iruru...no.

uramichi oniisan is really dark and funny so I am really eager to see if they pull off the anime adaptation. it's an extremely pessimistic portrayal of children's show production, and the main character is just unhappy as hell, should make for a lot of good clips.

I guess slime, though I haven't watched since the first season and the second season had a little self-defense genocide as a treat

tsukimichi: moonlit fantasy is one of the better isekai I've read with a fairly interesting premise(an unwanted human gets pulled into a hero summoning, the goddess thinks he's ugly and discards him in the wastelands, he begins building a society of the "undesired" like beastfolk, dwarves, elves in another dimension that for some reason he can access, etc). there's no way they'll get to the more overarching storyline stuff in even 3 potential seasons so it'll focus mostly on the comparatively mundane initial few arcs, but makoto's groundbreaking of the otherworld and tomoe and mio's antics should be fun if they pace it well. if it includes whatever side stories that follow the summoned heroes it'll be a loving disaster though because one's a goody two-shoes perfect hero lady and the other is the worst kind of weeb who becomes your typical "slave harem" Nice Guy heterochromia isekai protagonist with his goddess-granted brainwash ability. If it restricts their appearances to only when Makoto interacts with them I think it'll be a pretty decent adaptation. we mayyyyyy get to see the battle for the fortress which would be a pretty nice climax to a first season.

there was one or two others I was interested in but aside from that, the season looks pretty dull from what trailers I saw