Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

This is a time of epic stories, a span of history that people shall talk about for the rest of time.

The problem is, we haven't written it yet - so we're going to use Microscope to do it. - Microscope can be found here

Microscope is a game where you write a history in a colaberative way, we will start by blocking out the event, then create a pallet, the we will fill in periods, events and scenes to build up the history.

I tried this as a CYOA a while back, but this time I'm looking for 3-5 other people to join me for a much more standard game. this is a lot effort OP, but here are the basics.

How will this work?
Well, the game goes in several stages, we'll be going in stage by stage, and it should be quick to begin with.
With the exception of 1, everything here has a tone - light or dark - is this considered a good or bad thing? this will set the tone further down the line.

1 - Define the big picture - this is the general feel of the history we are writing - are we telling the tale of a doomed race in a fantasy setting? the rise of AI in a cyberpunk, or galatic war in the far future? as long asit feels epic enough, it can work!

2 - bookend history - Now you have a setting, you have to restrict it a bit - add a beginning and and end to your history - its not the end of time, just this period we're looking at. So going with the doomed race from above, the start could be The death of the last true king and the end bookmark could be The last of the eldar race dies. - A lot can happen between these points, and they are still vauge, but we get a idea of what we are covering.

3 - Define Pallete - This is a list of things you do and do not want included, we will most likley play this one fast and loose, but its a good way of setting basic assumptions like "no FTL" or "Multiple sentiant races".

4 - Define periods - we now do a "first pass" and define several eras in our history - these are still broad, but will start to give some texture. such as "the wars of succession (-)", "The Reign of the Good king (+)" The Quickening (-)"

5 - Add Events - Events are things that happen within a period, and fill out more detail such as "The corination of the king (+)" or the "Death of the king (-)" - these are key things for the periods, and can then be played out in....

6 - Play Scenes - Scenes are where this will turn into a more nomal CYOA, as a scene is designed to answer a specific question - such as "how did the king die? - They are played out with a cast and end the moment the question is answered - but they often set up new questions that need new events to delve deeper into the story.

For now

Register your interest to play, and suggest the bookends of history! - the first 5 people in are good to go, but if there are a few more people, I'm sure we can add you in!
When we have some people, we'll vote on our favourate choice, then move on from there!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I love microscope and would love to play in this.

I'll edit bookends here when its not 7 am and my brain is working.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I'd like to play. I've never played microscope.

I'm confused about picking bookends -- I don't see what the big picture is.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sax Solo posted:

I'd like to play. I've never played microscope.

I'm confused about picking bookends -- I don't see what the big picture is.

What ever you want.

Bookends form the start and end of the period of history we are looking at, and they can be light or dark.

I'm going to suggest the following.

The taming of the hinterlands.

Start - The first explorer enters the hinterlands. (+)
End - The last threat is defeated, and the province is finally at peace. (+)

So this as you can see if vauge as hell, which is good, as it gives plenty of room for growth. Hell, this could work as fantasy, historical, post apocalyptic or sci fi, and it's something everyone can decide on in the palate.

But you can be a lot more specific on the setting, in fact you normally are.

So just throw out an idea with a defined beginning and an end, the rest we build on later.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've played this before, on here, but it didn't finish. Still, I know the basics, and I'm willing to try!

Here are my suggestions:

The revolution against the tyrannical Black King

Start: The Black King takes the throne by force from his father via a military coup (-)
End: Princess Serena takes the throne and begins a long campaign of reform (+)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I've never played microscope, but I'd like to give it a go. I'll get my overarching idea and bookends up later when I'm not away from my computer

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I don't think I have the gumption to add another game to my list, but i will read!!

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

This sounds interesting! Never played Microscope before, but I've heard of it, and the idea has always intrigued me.

I'm just gonna go full Tolkien on this one.

The Youth of the World, In Which Great and Ancient Powers Meddle Often and Openly in the Lives of Mortals

The Creation of the World (+)
The Great Powers Retreat and Mortals Take Charge (+)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Any more suggestions?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

What ever you want.

Well all right. Here's mine, lmk if it's too cheerful:

The city-state of the last year.

Start: a convergence of bad omens across the city (-)
Finish: the collapse and death of everything (-)

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Humanity Spreads to the Stars

Start: The first human colonies are founded, light years away from a crumbling earth (+)

End: The last bastions of humanity fold in on themselves, abandoning space travel. (-)

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
The Age of Anarchy

Start: A weak king dies without any heirs, plunging a continent into chaos (-)

End: The realm is united under an unexpected banner (+)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

A new Threat emerges

Creatures of an unknown origin appear and threaten to destroy civilization (-)

The creatures are finally driven back or annihilated, allowing civilization to finally start rebuilding (+)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think that's everyone.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, we'll assume everyone voted for their own suggestion, so here is the list -

The Youth of the World, In Which Great and Ancient Powers Meddle Often and Openly in the Lives of Mortals
The Age of Anarchy
A new Threat emerges

I'm going to vote for The Youth of the World, In Which Great and Ancient Powers Meddle Often and Openly in the Lives of Mortals

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
e: I actually changed my mind, I want A New Threat Emerges, followed by The Youth of the World and then The Age of Anarchy

Junpei fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 3, 2021

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'm going to vote for Humanity Spreads to the Stars followed by The Youth of the World, In Which Great and Ancient Powers Meddle Often and Openly in the Lives of Mortals and then the taming of the hinterlands

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 3, 2021

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

My preferences:
  1. The Youth of the World, In Which Great and Ancient Powers Meddle Often and Openly in the Lives of Mortals
  2. A new Threat emerges
  3. Humanity Spreads to the Stars
  4. The Age of Anarchy
  5. The taming of the hinterlands
  6. The revolution against the tyrannical Black King
  7. The city-state of the last year

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, I was thinking table order would simply be the order we posted our ideas, then to select the lens we could either pick at random or make the person whose idea it was the lens and work from there. (Basically so I don't set stage from the start)

Grey Hunter
Junpei
Anchu
SaxSolo
The Cog
ForeverBWFC
berenzen

Sound good?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Sounds good to me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah sounds cool to me

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

The Youth of the World, In Which Great and Ancient Powers Meddle Often and Openly in the Lives of Mortals is my first choice, followed by The taming of the hinterlands.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

The Age of Anarchy
A new Threat emerges

Ordered (minus my own):

1. Humanity Spreads to the Stars
2. The revolution against the tyrannical Black King
3. The Age of Anarchy
4. The taming of the hinterlands.
5. A new Threat emerges
6. The Youth of the World, In Which Great and Ancient Powers Meddle Often and Openly in the Lives of Mortals

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

1. The revolution against the tyrannical Black King
2. A new Threat emerges
3. The Youth of the World, In Which Great and Ancient Powers Meddle Often and Openly in the Lives of Mortals
4. Humanity Spreads to the Stars
5.The taming of the hinterlands
6. The city-state of the last year.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

After ranking everyones choices from 1-7, then averaging out the sum of the values for those who did not pick everything,

The Youth of the World, In Which Great and Ancient Powers Meddle Often and Openly in the Lives of Mortals has won!

Phase 2! Pallate!

So while we're supposed to go around in order, I think we can get away with doing this quickly.

Should Include = Elder beings
Must not include = A unified religeon.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Grey Hunter posted:

Must not include = A unified religeon.

Could you clarify what you mean by this?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Should Include = Kaiju (Giant monsters)
Must not include = Resurrections

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Should Include = Magic
Must Not Include = Grimdarkness

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Should include: Interplanetary scale

Mustn't include: Special/magic bloodlines

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Should Include: Mortals struggling against great beings

Shouldn't include: a singular Great Evil.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Should Include: Well-Intentioned Elder Beings
Must Not Include: "Always evil" mortal races

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Anshu posted:

Could you clarify what you mean by this?

A single world spanning religon. I can see ho it could be read as "all religons are always at war with themselves"

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Grey Hunter posted:

A single world spanning religon. I can see ho it could be read as "all religons are always at war with themselves"

I was actually reading it more as... I don't know, something like "nobody knows what the cosmology is"

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Thought this might be of interest but let me know if you guys think its no good.

Should Include: Huge mountain(s) of smooth black "stone"
Must Not Include: This world will never produce steel.

ForeverBWFC fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 4, 2021

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, anyone want to add anything else? Or shall I randomize the lens for the first pass?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aRKz_i0YMvmmTU5_WUXrQME2R9_PGpLM5XUSxJx8gdQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

A Google Doc to track stuff.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 4, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ForeverBWFC posted:

[thought this might be of interest but let me know if you guys think its no good.

Should Include: Huge mountain(s) of smooth black "stone"
Must Not Include: This world will never produce steel.

The Must Not confuses me because of the potential double negative-must not never produce steel?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I just put steel on the list ;)

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

I just put steel on the list ;)

I think you mixed up berenzen and I

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

ForeverBWFC posted:

I think you mixed up berenzen and I

Nah, that's not person dependant, it's for when I randomize the lens...

the lens for the first pass is...... Anchu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Nah, that's not person dependant, it's for when I randomize the lens...

the lens for the first pass is...... Anchu!

Ah fair enough I apologise