Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It's an interesting division, and while the Rangers are back in the chase, their last two games are against the Bruins, who they are two games behind, though the Bruins have two games in hand which come after that, against the top two teams in the division.

Rangers are also 8 points back from the Islanders, who they play three more times. Their next game is against NYI, then a pair each against Philly and Buffalo. If they can stay hot, they might put themselves in that race and play head-to-head for a playoff spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
This was dope

https://twitter.com/HeresYourReplay/status/1383953008019480580?s=20

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

soggybagel posted:

Who was the hockey player who used to post videos on YouTube of regular guys trying to take the puck away from him and stuff?

not sure of the exact player you're talking about but I remember a few years ago the NHL put out some Go Pro videos where this type of stuff happened. I always really liked watching them.

the part with Malkin in this video is pretty much what you described
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouhLO73CXIw

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/CodySevertson/status/1383952903807770627

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Where's the clip where Holtby cheated to hide a puck that was already in the net from view by the camera?

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Where's the clip where Holtby cheated to hide a puck that was already in the net from view by the camera?

This the file pathway is //saves/winningteamgoalie

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

eXXon posted:

Lol, I miss those days when he was on the Caps. And that windmill save was amazing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Morning to the Toronto Maple Leafs, an organization who lost to a covid decimated pre-season level roster of an already terrible team.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1384117205126680576

Prior to their pause, I think Colorado was just 2 or 3 wins from officially guaranteeing a playoff spot.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Devils are in contention for last overall.

Buffalo is 3 pts worse having played one extra game. Ottawa also has played an extra game and is one point worse. Anaheim is one point ahead but has two games in hand, so NJ's winning percentage is 4th-worst right now.

However, they play in a really hard division and down the stretch they absolutely look like the only team with a possible worse roster than them is Buffalo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fawning deference posted:

The Devils are in contention for last overall.

Buffalo is 3 pts worse having played one extra game. Ottawa also has played an extra game and is one point worse. Anaheim is one point ahead but has two games in hand, so NJ's winning percentage is 4th-worst right now.

However, they play in a really hard division and down the stretch they absolutely look like the only team with a possible worse roster than them is Buffalo.

Buffalo is still a far worse roster than NJ even after the deadline and they play 5 more games against Boston, 2 against the Isles, 2 against the Rags they'll be lucky to split, and 2 at Pittsburgh. If Buffalo gets 2 wins in those 11 games it will be flat out stunning.

NJ gets 5 games against a certain unnamed Dogshit Garbage division opponent. They won't finish dead last.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Huh, it turns out Buffalo was merely a garden variety bad team all along and Krueger was an astonishingly terrible coach :wow:

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Good Morning to the Toronto Maple Leafs, an organization who lost to a covid decimated pre-season level roster of an already terrible team.

LOL. To be fair same thing happened with Rangers/Devils when NJ suspended for covid.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Otis Reddit posted:

LOL. To be fair same thing happened with Rangers/Devils when NJ suspended for covid.

Never be fair to Toronto

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/LeafsIastCup/status/1383966956055760900

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/WaveIntel/status/1384144813579112460

neat

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
eh, the devils deserved a much better fate then they got against the rangers. they haven't gotten a save from blackwood since his covid bout and their wretched special teams continually sap any momentum they can build up. their ability to drive play is neutered by their constant inability to finish. hischier's season was lost in a swarm of bad luck. poor jack hughes should honestly have 10-15 more points than he does now.

they're like the poster definition of almost good.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Weird season, yes, but they just essentially got swept by a non-playoff team. I consider the Rangers 'almost good' thus making the Devils 'almost total not suckasshole'. Still can't believe that they have Lindy coaching.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

TSN's Dave Poulin: 'Tremendous effort from top to bottom' for Canucks in return victory.'

This hagiography is getting a little ridiculous.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the Canucks got killed in that game but the Leafs couldn't stop hitting the post and had a likely goal called off because the NHL has lovely cameras.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's awful that the Canucks are being made to finish out their season at all, but it's very funny the Leafs lost to them (even though they didn't deserve to and that ref was an idiot to waive off that obvious 3-2 goal).

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Otis Reddit posted:

Weird season, yes, but they just essentially got swept by a non-playoff team. I consider the Rangers 'almost good' thus making the Devils 'almost total not suckasshole'. Still can't believe that they have Lindy coaching.

the 'almost-good' rangers are currently fifth in the league in goal differential

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

corn on the cop posted:

the 'almost-good' rangers are currently fifth in the league in goal differential

hanging 8+ on the Flyers twice can do that.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Parity, folks, ain't it swell?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am glad the Leafs are the Leafs. They make things entertaining.

The other day, we were discussing Brad Marchand, and I meant to say at the time, he has an incredibly weird career trajectory. He was always a good goal scorer, but he hit this other level in his age-28 season with his playmaking, and has looked like one of the best players in the league over the past five seasons. I wish it had happened to literally any other player but Marchand.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TonyAndrock/status/1384161368945750019

bring me the yam cork, chuck

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I am glad the Leafs are the Leafs. They make things entertaining.

The other day, we were discussing Brad Marchand, and I meant to say at the time, he has an incredibly weird career trajectory. He was always a good goal scorer, but he hit this other level in his age-28 season with his playmaking, and has looked like one of the best players in the league over the past five seasons. I wish it had happened to literally any other player but Marchand.

The Bruins have the most annoying luck. They whiffed on three straight first round picks in the deepest draft maybe ever but got off Scott free because their existing stars decided to simultaneously have nearly unprecedented late career explosions and their late round pick from 2014 emerged as one of the top goalscorers on earth. It sucks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pretty funny how the guy constantly making cracks about all Russian players doping is a Bruins fan

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

The Bruins have the most annoying luck. They whiffed on three straight first round picks in the deepest draft maybe ever but got off Scott free because their existing stars decided to simultaneously have nearly unprecedented late career explosions and their late round pick from 2014 emerged as one of the top goalscorers on earth. It sucks.

For all that luck though the whiffing on those picks has probably prevented them from winning another Cup.

I say probably because really who knows you could add actual good players in those pick slots and they could still lose in the playoffs because good teams still easily lose in the playoffs all the time

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
It's amusing how badly they whiffed, I mean DeBrusk is a player, but the next 3 draft picks after Boston's 3 straight were: Barzal, Connor and Chabot.

Looking at missed draft picks is a fun exercise when it's not the team you cheer for.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

For all that luck though the whiffing on those picks has probably prevented them from winning another Cup.

I say probably because really who knows you could add actual good players in those pick slots and they could still lose in the playoffs because good teams still easily lose in the playoffs all the time

Yes, if they'd taken the next three guys that were selected instead of who they did they'd have Barzal, Connor and Chabot in addition to Pastrnak, Marchand and Bergeron. That likely makes them a near super team for the next decade.

Still, given the opportunity cost they pissed away they've cup up smelling like roses and are as competitive as they've ever been despite being well past the point they should be in their current core's expected cycle. They could well win a cup this year with a pretty similar one that did so a decade ago. There aren't too many teams that can claim that.

Some teams just get all the luck.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1384148922340298753?s=20

:munch:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

DJExile posted:

Buffalo is still a far worse roster than NJ even after the deadline and they play 5 more games against Boston, 2 against the Isles, 2 against the Rags they'll be lucky to split, and 2 at Pittsburgh. If Buffalo gets 2 wins in those 11 games it will be flat out stunning.

NJ gets 5 games against a certain unnamed Dogshit Garbage division opponent. They won't finish dead last.
Have you watched a Sabres game the last 2 weeks? I dont know if its just a short lived dead cat bounce from firing Krueger or if the emergence of their young players is for real and will continue. But for now theyve done a 180 from how they were playing during the winless streak.

They just went 2-1-1 against Bos, wsh, Pitt. And they kept it close in the 1 loss. Its a big IF, but IF they keep playing like this I dont see why they cant close out the final 11 games with at least 5-6 wins. And pass a few teams in the standings.

CBJ is on a 9 game winless streak. NJ has 1 win in their last 11. Ottawa and Anaheim are also within reach.
Sabres are 6-3-2 since snapping the winless streak.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know, were people calling for some? I think the major covered Hathaway pretty well, and Wilson tried for a kill shot again but it didn't connect so that was never going to be a thing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Edler's got a hearing for the knee on Hyman, no surprises there. I don't know what the gently caress Edler was thinking on that play.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

grack posted:

Edler's got a hearing for the knee on Hyman, no surprises there. I don't know what the gently caress Edler was thinking on that play.

I... ugh... agree with Bieksa on the panel where I don't think he thought at all, it was just one of those 'oh poo poo this guy is gonna blow past me' and you move instinctively

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
The Rangers I definitely think are "almost-good". They've been filling up on some real dumpster teams. That being said, they're probably in playoff position if DeAngelo doesn't go full Q brain and if Quinn didn't try some stupid 2-headed goalie plan that was doomed from the start.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Can't believe they wouldn't punish Ovi for this display of gross indecency:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

thehoodie posted:

Can't believe they wouldn't punish Ovi for this display of gross indecency:

i was laughing at this during the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

not sure of the exact player you're talking about but I remember a few years ago the NHL put out some Go Pro videos where this type of stuff happened. I always really liked watching them.

the part with Malkin in this video is pretty much what you described
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouhLO73CXIw

I found it. It was Bobby Ryan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi2xk0aFPKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9sBdZDVKQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-3FH1I_hwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9rGdyKsjdk