Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/BDubi17/status/1378002925553905666?s=20

lmao that Dubinsky is still trolling Crosby even in LTIRetirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Mike Johnson does this pretty much every game he calls for TSN, rips bottom 6ers all game after a career as a defensive forward

That sounds kind of cool compared to other has-beens ripping top 6 guys for being "lazy" and then proceeding to heap praise on like Cal Clutterbuck.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think it was the Hockey PDOCast that mentioned how the Flyers are usually pretty mediocre by year’s end but they take the most hilarious, dramatic way to reach mediocrity.

Contrast that with like the Flames who are consistent and boring in their year-over-year mediocrity.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

/adds the Minnesota Wild to my enemies list

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Really thinking all those games against the Sabres, Devils and Flyers make the Caps' record look better than the team actually is. I would otherwise say the Caps are approaching their usual 2/3rds slump with the Isles eating their lunch again.

Their defense is just not very good.

That Brenden Dillon $3.9M x 4 years contract looked bad from the get-go but he has been even worse than I thought he would be this year.

I think the Caps are fine, but the Islanders are clearly a better team right now. They're just so drat annoying and structured.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Caps stank but at least Ovie socked a dinger.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ugh this trade deadline is going to be shittier than normal.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lmao thassa good tweet

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Sucks to hear about Lundqvist. I have a bad feeling the Siegenthaler trade is to make room for like Jonathan Bernier or some other mediocre to bad goalie.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The Washington Capitals can trade players for futures at the deadline but apparently its not fair to do that to the Canucks right now or literally any other time. What an absolute crap factory it is to be a Canucks fan.

To be fair to Jim Benning, no one is trading for depth players currently dying of COVID-19.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Uh I dunno about this move for Pittsburgh. Isn’t Carter cooked?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

That's what Siegenthaler was... Nobody really on the board that moves the needle in a non-dumb direction.

I’m kind of disappointed they didn’t go after Taylor Hall at that price. He’s a good play driver who can’t finish on a team that doesn’t really drive play but has good finishers.

Especially since Laviolette hates Vrana and there seems to be a hole in the top 6.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Brendan Smith scored a goal last night!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's a loving gorgeous drive, upstate New York ain't Nebraska.

I remain flabbergasted that Foligno brought back a 1st and Hall did not :lol::lol:

It sounds like Hall may have leveraged his NMC to go to his one preferred destination:

https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/1381618123527352321?s=20

Makes sense that his return was so lovely if that was the case.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Levitate posted:

Wow I am surprised the rangers aren’t on that list

That list being a list of teams with lovely goalies over the years probably explains it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jack Eichel decided to return to his home planet.

Note: Jack Eichel died on his way back to his home planet.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1382422608961024002?s=21

Yes please

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Levitate posted:

How loving petty do you have to be to challenge an offsides when you’re down 4-0 in the third and it’s a kids first NHL goal

Zodijackylite posted:

Lindy Ruff challenging a rookie's first NHL goal for being offside when it would've made it 5-0 with less than ten minutes left sure was petty.

This owns.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don’t even give a poo poo what happens in the playoffs I love the Washington Capitals Hockey Squadron.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

From the picture man:

Yeah the Rangers probably aren’t making the playoffs barring a miracle. kind of weird because they seem similarly good to some of the top 4 teams but I guess they just poo poo the bed a few too many games?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I imagine every coach yelling “Noooooo!” when Ovie is about to sock a dinger like Wolf Stansson yells when Keenan is lining up a knucklepuck.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/evolvingwild/status/1383964253149753344?s=21

:madmax:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Also I think Ovechkin was planning on playing in Russia for the 2004-05 season regardless.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Atlanta is going to get another expansion franchise and then it, like the ones before it, will be moved to Canada.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Do an XFL style dash for the puck instead of a faceoff

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Also I underestimated how much of a fan base Oshie has amongst HEART AND SOUL Caps site commenters.

To be fair Oshie has been exceeding most people’s expectations after signing his big contract. He’s still slow and a bit clumsy but he’s got 38 points in 48 games, including 17 goals and 24 even strength points. I don’t think they should expose Oshie just to get out from his contract since he’s still actually a good player.

If his contract becomes an albatross then just trade him to Arizona for a third round pick or whatever, but for now I’m all in favor of keeping him.

As an aside I was gifted a subscription to the Athletic and the Capitals coverage stinks.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

A sad day.

`,(

I was going to make a joke about Miller looking sideways to retirement, but the ascii face is better.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It's so weird watching those clips and seeing how far away from the goals are from the end boards.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ryan Reaves is probably the only guy in the NHL who has done and can do any damage to Tom Wilson.

So IMO the Rangers should trade Panarin and Zibad to Vegas for him.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Real_RobRossi/status/1389904199077572613?s=20

Any time you can have Matt Cooke give a take on a dirty player and publish it you gotta do it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Does Kuznetzov actually have any trade value given his contract, age and declining production?

Unless he's really a horrible human being or something it seems like Washington would be better served holding onto him and hoping he rebounds.

He's probably not worth trading if you're Washington since I doubt anyone would give up much for an enigmatic Russian, but he's been pretty good this year compared to prior years where he didn't give a poo poo about defense at all.

His point totals have been largely fine over the past few years: a shade below a point per game, right around 20 goals a year, produces at a first line level at even strength. And he and Ovechkin were the only two players who actually seemed to give a poo poo in the bubble last year.

Like Cartoon Man said I think they are just trying to light a fire under him.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lmaooo Tom Wilson is in the heads of so many front offices

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

TJ Oshie kicks rear end. Can’t believe they got him from St Louis for Troy Brouwer lmao

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It’s funny, to me, that Pavel Buchnevich is going to get suspended and not Tom Wilson.

https://twitter.com/nhlplayersafety/status/1390305459710566401?s=21

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

Cartoon man is the guy who blamed some Caps player's run of bad play on his girlfriend's instagram, how are any of y'all still taking him seriously

I follow the Capitals pretty closely and I’ve never heard of this.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

You don't get credit for pulling the player you shouldn't have let play, if that's the case.

They didn’t have enough forwards to ice a full lineup as it stood, with Ovechkin injured and Kuznetsov on the covid list. I’d bet the plan was to see if the fights all happened at the beginning of the game, and if they continued they’d just pull him from the game.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 6, 2021

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

In any other season fine but a) Washington's fate in any form isn't terribly impacted by that game and b) plenty of teams have gone 11/7 or even 11/6 this year

They were 11/6 with Wilson. Without him they would have been 10/6. Which means more since there were bound to be a bunch of stupid fighting majors and 10 minute misconducts, leaving the bench even emptier.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

drat if only there had been some way to avoid all the fighting

I mean yeah he shouldnt have punched the guy and he should have been suspended for a few games but given that he wasn’t suspended it seems pretty dumb to hold him out of the game and skate with 10 forwards.

Especially given how stupid the Rangers were guaranteed to play with him in the lineup.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Give that man the $10,000!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1390675963990642693?s=20

Still no Ovi, he’s gonna be held till the playoffs at this point. What the hell is going on with Samsonov?

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1390691255852617729?s=20

I guess they went out and partied a little too hard in New York.

Kuznetsov is good enough where he'll probably be back in as soon as he clears protocol, which should be soon since he already got COVID earlier this year.

Samsonov is going to be riding the pine until Vanecek screws up, which to be fair could be relatively soon as well.