Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

e: Pat Hughes 2 SHG were not assisted by Gretzky, either. And only 1 of Messier's SHG was assisted by Gretzky (the other by Coffey).

Coffey/Mess/Gretzky on the PK seems unfair. Also makes me kinda sad there wasn’t 3-on-3 OT because the 30 seconds every Oiler OT lasted would have been crazy fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

N: Riley Nash to Toronto for a conditional pick.

V: Riley Nash is broken. :wtc:

Cap free playoff depth. He gets stashed on IR until the start of the playoffs and then they get an extra body they can use when cap doesn’t count.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Then he can be exposed to the Seattle draft.

He’s a UFA and the Leafs already have Kerfoot and Engvall as qualifying forwards. And I’m assuming if they trade one of them and need a forward, they just resign Spezza and/or Thornton for minimum rather than Nash who might actually want some money.

Arabian Jesus posted:

Cap shenanigans aside, someone that can chew up minutes when the Leafs have a lead is so unbelievably important to this team

Also a PKer that they don’t need to send out a FOGO guy to cover for doesn’t hurt.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 10, 2021

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I don’t know what to tell you except that all the reporting around the trade says that if you have a $5M cap hit on LTIR and a $2.75 cap hit on LTIR and you were at the cap when you placed them you should have whatever the sum of those two hits is minus the pro rated space you had to the ceiling, like this shows:

https://twitter.com/puckpedia/status/1380647822580621312?s=21

Which is more space than they would have had if they put Andersen on LTIR alone.

CapFriendly hasn’t updated properly because they haven’t added Andersen on IR, but the Leafs placing him on there retroactively has been confirmed. They also show the Leafs as having negative space at the moment which they can’t have period, so that page isn’t an accurate accounting of what the Leafs have.

At the very least, that tweet has an 18 man roster that doesn’t have Hutch’s bucks taking part of the Freddie room accounted for. And Barabanov taking Willy’s spot for a bit.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

fancy stats posted:

But Montreal's going to try and ice a lineup with 4 defensemen who can neither skate nor move the puck, so let's see how that shakes out for them.

Good thing for them the other 3 playoff teams in their division aren’t designed specifically to torch the gently caress out of slow defencemen. Oh, wait...

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

They're almost as capfucked as Tampa right? Like they're gonna need to jettison some more pieces this summer plus Seattle is gonna mix everything up so I guess I can see them going all in but I can't see Foligno being a huge difference maker

They are fine this off-season. Freddie sucking in a contract year kinda saved them as now they don’t have to worry about him asking for a raise. They are at 13 players/68 million next year with just Hyman looking at a major hike. Assuming Liljegren and Sandin take the 3rd D pair and Robertson and another combo of old local boys, Marlies and reclamation projects to fill out the bottom 6 they should be fine. Just need to find someone to platoon with Campbell for 2-3.

2022 will be the tough one as Rielly and Campbell will hopefully need raises and Liljegren and Sandin come off their ELCs.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I dunno, the hall doesn't look favourably on defensive forwards. It took Guy Charbonneau twenty years to make it in. Rob Brind'Amour hasn't made it. I think Bergeron is better than either of them, but only marginally. He's a step behind Datsyuk in my eyes, but he'll get in on his offensive contributions when he acrually retires.

Bob Gainey is likely the closest comparable to Bergeron, but he had four more cups and a Conn Smythe on top of everything Bergeron has. I think Bergeron deserves to be in the hall, but I don't think he's any sort of slam dunk. It could take a while.

Bergeron also has a billion Gold medals, including the 2 Olympic ones. He should also get bonus points from some of the voters for playing a key part in Crosby’s international legend.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

The Athletic has an article of people talking about what a nerd Jason Spezza is and it’s pretty great.

My favourite bit: Spezza on why he liked having goons in the lineup

quote:

Mendes: When Ottawa would dress a super tough guy, like, let’s say that they would dress Matt Kassian in the lineup, I remember Jason explaining to me, “Listen, you’re gonna hear a lot of people tell you, you add a tough guy in the lineup and everybody feels like they’re two inches taller, and that’s why we like it.”

He’s like, “No, we love it because we’re playing with only 11 forwards. That way, guys like me get more time.”

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

NHL: forces the Canucks to play
Canucks: hey Connor, what do you want the single game point record to be?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

DJExile posted:

oh goddamn

Dude is trying crazy poo poo just for fun now because scoring the normal way is boring. This one didn’t go in, but just getting a shot off is nuts.

https://twitter.com/tictactomar/status/1387582675914010624

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Why does the league keep hiring goons to head DoPS? At least hire guys like Paul Kariya, Marc Savard or Steve Moore if the only required qualification is “played in the league”. Hiring dudes who’s standards probably include “I’ve done worse, that’s fine” seems counterproductive. Hell, hire Lindros if you want some goon perspective.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm sure if we looked at other divisions you'd see a lot of this as well though. The NHL recycles coaches like no other league.

The North only has Maurice coaching the Leafs/Jets and if we count assistant roles DJ Smith on the Leafs/Sens. Tippett and Sutter have coached multiple Pacific division teams but no other Canadian teams. Green, Keefe and Ducharme were all Junior coaches who haven’t worked with other orgs in the NHL.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/Skillsy75/status/1389722566273687559?s=19

I don't have an opinion on his actions but I like his actions

If I were a player I’d want him on my team too. The league is too maliciously incompetent to protect players and some team is going to keep signing him so the only safe zone is being on his team.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Matthews currently has a 9 goal lead on McDavid with 4.5 remaining for Connor. You think Matthews feels safe if they ask him to rest one or two of the last three games?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It also helps that except that lamentable couple of years in Toronto, he has spent his entire career coaching in places the national media doesn't even know exist.

In Raleigh and Winnipeg all he has to do is blow the owners (metaphorically) (I think) and make friends with the local reporters and his job security is golden as long as he keeps grinding out .500ish seasons, which is the thing he was put on this Earth to do.

Even in Toronto he got something of a pass because he was left with the decaying core of the Sundin/Quinn era and saddled with the goaltending brilliance of Raycroft/Toskala. And being sandwiched between the Quinn run and whatever the hell Wilson/Carlyle was, he kind of gets forgotten about rather than being memorable either way.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What's weird about this is you'd think a guy who was known in the peak of his career for being an offensive player would know about moving the puck

“Pass it to the nearest Hall of Famer and get out of the way” doesn’t seem like a teachable skill.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koth posted:

It's like watching a bunch of adults play with one Timbits kid. How can that even be fun for him.

That poor goalie that has to act like he’s upset scored on while actively avoiding the puck.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

PLD with Winnipeg: 40GP 8-12-20
Patrik Laine with Columbus: 45GP 10-11-21

Huh. So Dubois had 1 for Columbus and Laine had 2 for the Jets for a total of 9 and 12. 4th pick in the 2016 draft, noted bust Jesse Pujujarvi beat them both with 15.

As a group, picks 2-4 scored 36 goals. Pick 5 Olli Juolevi scored another 2.

Matthews had 41 on his own.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

DJExile posted:

Buffalo and... it was either Edmonton or Arizona I think? played a game against each other really late in the season before the McDavid/Eichel draft and both flat out admitted they were trying to lose it and the league didn't do poo poo.

Probably the Leafs who were just playing out the string under interim coach Peter Horachek and would likely have played their division mates late in the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Considering how many teams are run by ex players, many of whom have their head up their asses, that could work out.

I get it, though. They're wholly unproven and even if they could be good, Aquellini being hands on could just ruin whatever positives they could bring Maybe they could be good scouts in Sweden?

Of the ex-players running teams, has anyone been dropped into it right away and been successful? Yzerman, Sakic, Blake, Robitaille all worked in various capacities in team front offices before moving up, Shanahan was the last competent DoPS guy and worked at the league head office for awhile.

On the other hand, I don’t think Linden had any experience prior be being out in charge of the Canucks. Lafontaine in Buffalo flamed out almost instantly. I guess Garth Snow was “successful” as he lasted 12 years somehow...