Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Thankfully Salo isn’t still playing, not sure if he’d die from COVID or get strangled by his mask..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

goldrush posted:

Jim Benning is just so unbelievably loving stupid

Edit: actually at this point it's entirely believable and unsurprising

Problem is the ownership are so onboard with it all. If Benning was going to be not resigned because of his terrible terrible contracts then they wouldn’t have let him sign another. So that probably means he’s also getting an extension.

That said, I don’t think this one is as bad as others, I think Pearson will provide decent (slightly overpaid) value for the contract. He’s one of the few guys who can actually play defence, provided he doesn’t slow down too much I don’t think he will become a liability.

The problem is after all the other dead weights adding in even another 500k -1 mil of lost value is really limiting.

Let’s just hope now he doesn’t run out of time to sign petey and Hughes...

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He really, really can't afford to slow down
my biggest knock against his Pens tenure was that he was already just barely keeping up with the play
Great hands, smart enough, slower on the rush than Patric Hornqvist

Yeah agree and that’s the variable between slight overpayment and loui is. Normally I’d say I’m sure the team has done their analysis with fancy science stuff to track his skating technique and have determined he’s a lower than average chance to drop further (given the large amount of money they have thrown at him), but yeah I suspect the vibe of things has more to do with it.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Is Seattle’s management group expected to be sane? Like I somewhat randomly (I’m Australian, picked on uniforms, city being progressive/somewhere I’d like to visit, and liking the Sedins) chose to support the Canucks in like 2008 or something.

I don’t like to be a bandwaggoner, but man is it hard to support such a poorly run team. Like if I had deep family connections or the like sure, but when a factor of the team I picked was “Orcas are cool”, well you can’t get much cooler than a kracken..

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Dr Zaius posted:

A maple leaf is way cooler than a kraken. It's real and comes from a tree that also makes delicious syrup. You can't put kraken juice on pancakes.

Do they even have maple syrup in Australia?

We have maple syrup, but don’t have pancakes thus your point is moot.

But seriously I’d find it hard to jump to another team that had any sense of rivalry with Vancouver, thus new team entering feels like a limited time offer.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

So the Saturday night game against Toronto seems to be the valuable one for tv money, has a real potential to be huge blowout, straight into a back-to-back. Night 1 is McDavid getting a hat trick, night 2 whole team completely gassed and lose 10-0.

Bonus points if Holtby isn’t fit, so Demko starts night 1 and then quite rightly don’t want to feed DiPietro to the wolves (after his last start..). So Demko starts back to back and promptly injures himself.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

I need someone to explain the Buffalo Sabres to me. Just the whole thing. I don't understand any of it

They are a front for every other incompetent front office to constantly do really dumb stuff so you don’t complain about the regular dumb stuff your team does.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

JT Miller may not have played well consistently this year but I guarantee he’s redeemed himself to a lot of fans. Huge respect to him.

He also had COVID at the start of the season, even if he didn’t have many symptoms, a couple of % difference in max body performance would be huge for pro athletes. Alot of the criticism of him were based on some really bad back checks or other ‘lazy’ plays. Perhaps he was just gassed.

Wouldn’t shock me if at some point in the future someone manages to statistically show the drop offs in individual player performance post COVID fairly starkly.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

aejix posted:

I mean we'll just be able to point at Quinn Hughes headstone in a few months/weeks for that sort of analysis

Nah he won’t die, that would give you cap relief, just damaged enough to play like Loui.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

To be fair I think a dead rubber game between Ottawa and Vancouver that is worth 4 points is one I’d watch as a novelty.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Where's the clip where Holtby cheated to hide a puck that was already in the net from view by the camera?

This the file pathway is //saves/winningteamgoalie

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What do you think of Jonah Gadjovich's chances

Point that was made re him (and applies to heaps of others) on a podcast I was listening to is one of the most common types of players on taxi squads was your reliable defence first defenceman. Taking out atleast one minute eating D from each AHL team really opens it up.

Obviously still better to be scoring goals than not, but it might be because the players that have capped out his ceiling are no longer there.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

MoaM posted:

Put Edler's legs in a single cast with three skates as punishment.

Seems unfair on Toronto to give him a speed boost.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I get that the fact that you make >5 million a year would help you get over it, but it must be a bit of a poo poo thing to be asked to waive your no move clause so the team can expose you, knowing that your so over paid that another team doesn’t want you for free.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

McDavid with 3 more points. Needs 16 in his last 9 to hit 100

With 4 against the Canucks that’s pretty achievable.

First Canucks goal tonight (Mete splitting the defence) looked like something McDavid does to good defenders, so who knows how those games will look.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I think either the direction should change in overtime so benches are on the defensive end, ie same as the third, there's no reason to want to not have players with lots of energy on the ice in overtime, I think that would stop a fair chunk of the boring back to neutral zone stuff.

If that doesn't work some form of backcourt violation if you take it back over the red line (or maybe your own blue line).

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

And it’s one thing to get lit up by McDavid and Driasaitl or something, but the goals were a rookie, a defence man who hasn’t scored in a couple of years, a rookie in his second game and a guy scoring his first point after being traded for a guy who was run out of town for spreading covid..

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

McEwan got one game, which is probably fair.

Howewer, this is seemingly ok:
https://twitter.com/RobTheHockeyGuy/status/1390496008035979264?s=20

I think it’s fair, and it’s good game management, if they both played the next game there’s a good chance one of them boards the poo poo out of the other, the games don’t matter - it’s good for both teams that it doesn’t happen. Could you give Nurse one as well, maybe but I think the more important thing is not having a player badly injured in a dead game if it escalated more.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I guess they are going to hope for some quick 4 game series in the north to catch up, which sure but so is the opposite, what if every north series goes 7 games, could have the winner of the division playing them sitting around for over a week..

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Koth posted:

Jets are 1-9 in their last 10 games. This reminds me a lot of two years ago when they also limped into the playoffs and lost in the first round to St. Louis.

Third place in each division is current on 75/75/73.. Winnipeg is on 59.

Think the north has the fewest 3 point games, but still that’s a incredible difference.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

He’d still be an improvement over the Canucks bottom 6.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

If they come in surely it’s as the public facing role, dealing with sponsors etc.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this seeming coming change is actually driven by calls from a few key sponsors saying wtf is going on.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

What a dumpster fire.

It’s like they imagine all is going great, but they just haven’t got the PR right. Maybe try and fix the bit where the team has the 3rd worst record over the last 6 years or whatever it is.

Don’t think the fans (of players) will give a poo poo if the management is non communicative or arseholes if they are winning games.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

this is exactly what it is. aquilini is one of those idiot message board posters who projects the latest crop of draft picks into being "solid 60pt 2nd liner" based on the 2g 1a game they had against north dakota. the canucks are gonna dominate once rathbone, juolevi and pod mature into superstars alright?

Or we could just trade them for other teams first line star, I’ve thrown in a 3rd and a 5th to balance the trade!

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/imacSportsnet/status/1394797677401972737

How do you commit 25 million and then not sign the guys preferred coach..

If Clark wanted to leave I’m sure he would have told Demko and he wouldn’t post this, so really wtf. I kinda can’t wait till Clark leaves and then Demko let’s in a few softies first game back - Twitter will go wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I think it isn’t that hard to make the Canucks a fun competitive playoff team. What I don’t see is the path to them being a cup contending team, there just isn’t the pipeline of talent left in the system, which is really damming.

Part of me thinks they don’t need that much more to get to the bottom half of the playoffs. Right now can you imagine doing opposition research on the Canucks, ok so top line (pretending Petey is in) yep we need to not give them lots of space, they are legit. Horvat line, well they are forced to spend the whole time hard marching against our top line so that’s not a huge issue. Ok now let’s look at the threats on the third and fourth line... and done. Let’s look at the defensive guys in the bottom six who could tie up our key scorers... and done (maybe Motte I guess..) net result is team that is super simple to match up against.

The Canucks have some good attacking defenders, obviously Hughes, but Myers and Schmidt are all guys who can spring a forward/jump up on the rush, and Rathbone looks to be the same. Obviously all of them have issues in their own end. However all can help an offence, but right now for most the game the guys they can spring are either playing conservatively (Horvat line) or have literally no ability to generate offence (bottom six). Canucks have some of the most attacking minded defenders in the league as a group but get gently caress all out of it. The amount of times I’ve noticed a Canucks defender make an aggressive pinch or nice breakout pass only to realise the outcome is more ozone time with almost zero prospect of a goal because of who the forwards on the ice are.

Having a legit 3C who can actually play tough minutes would do so much to fix the balance of the team. Motte and Highmore (or sub in your favourite member of the sea of granlund) is fine as a 4th line, Canucks just need a couple of pieces to push guys down to where they should be playing, half the lineup is playing above their level and it makes everything look 10 times worse..

Still need to fix the defence, maybe pump Rathbone with PP1 minutes next year and see if his trade value can be increased, he might develop into a fun player to watch, but he’s one of the few expendable assets as everything he (projects to) do well Hughes does better. There isn’t much else to trade..