Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Happy anniversary of the other Red Wings-Avalanche line brawl/goalie fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chh4z8pWk1g
(good stuff starts around 6:50)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

corn on the cop posted:

i was not aware bobby ryan was still playing hockey, but i guess that's what happens when there are effectively four leagues

He was on a 1-year, $1 million contract with the understanding that he would get enough minutes with the Wings to prove himself and then get flipped to a contender for a fourth round pick or something. I think he scored 4 goals in his first 4 games but then he turned back into 33 year old Bobby Ryan, and they're obviously not going to get anything for him now.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

FATALITY

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Red Wings point% with Mantha on the roster: .395
Red Wings point% without Mantha on the roster: 1.000

:thunk: (also they've now got a winning record against Carolina this year)

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Jeff Blashill is a feckless coward and will never do this, he had the chance last year to ice Christoffer Ehn, Dylan Larkin, Andreas Athanasiou, Adam Erne, and Madison Bowey as a 70-71-72-73-74 line and he never did

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

bewbies posted:

man getzlaf and eric stall are gonna be interesting HOF debates

I feel like they're more like high-end Dudes rather than HOFers, but if you're around that 1000 point threshold as a forward maybe Cups are the tiebreaker to get you in. I was just thinking about Anze Kopitar the other day, he's in this group too, being a captain for some time probably helps as well.

But if they all get in then Zetterberg is definitely getting in, and if Zetterberg gets in then the 2002-03 Wings will have iced a playoff roster that was more than 50% Hall of Famers, so that's what I'm rooting for. And they got swept in the first round lmao.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I just remembered that Andreas Athanasiou scored a goal and an assist in his first game after being traded from the Red Wings last year, then didn't get another point the rest of the year. Ominous...

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Completely unrelated but I was looking at the Capitals roster and saw Lars Eller is 31. I've been thinking of him as an old guy for years and he's the same fuckin age as me.

Seeing one of the takes on the Mantha-Vrana trade being that the Red Wings did well to get younger by trading away a 26-year-old was a big oof for me

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Has anyone asked the Oilers players how they feel about having to play the Canucks?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Are they gonna plop a big 8 in the middle of the ice when he retires, like they did with Gretzky's office?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

N: https://twitter.com/VogsCaps/status/1383835440457805827

V: feel like poo poo just want him back
(not really, but this is driving the part of Red Wings Twitter who dragged him for being lazy up a wall)

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

There was a real shot at all four Detroit teams finishing dead last in their leagues within the same calendar year before the Sabres frigged it all up in March.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

ThinkTank posted:

Also Patrick Marleau will set the all time games played record tonight and pretty much no one cares.

I don't think he came up in that brief aside we had about fringe Hall of Famers, but he's got to be a pretty fringe case. On the one hand, he's got the GP record, 2 Olympic golds, and he lasted long enough to get past 500 goals and 1100 points. On the other, he's won no Cups or awards of any kind, and has a career high of 86 points.

Seems like a no to me. All of his comparables on his hockey-reference page are in the HoF though, if that means anything at all.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In non-Tom Wilson news, the Sabres played their sixth goalie of the season in net last night, tying a franchise record. Michael Houser won his NHL debut, making him the second Sabres goalie this season to do so. It’d be cool if they could win games like that when they still mattered :rolleyes:

On a similar note, Thomas Greiss has finally figured his poo poo out just in time for the end of the season:

(chuckling softly at having a Vezina-quality April and still losing more games than he won)

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Zodijackylite posted:

Welcome back to New York, Dylan McIlrath.

You want Marc Staal back too? Veteran Leadership! For the low low price of a second round pick!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

grack posted:

This is how Koskinen's night went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyAYxB3drV4

The first two goals were nice shots, but the second two, yikes. Edmonton's defense certainly didn't do him any favours, either.

I'm gonna use my one allotted grouchy old man take to say that's what you get for wearing #19 as a goalie :arghfist:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

clean ayers act posted:

The wings will end the season with a defensman leading the team in points(25 as of now with 1 game left)
Christ this team needs offense

Hey, Vlad Namestnikov has scored eight goals this season! And three of them have been scored on actual goalies!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Congratulations to the Red Wings on becoming the first team since 1999-00 to finish a non-lockout season without a shorthanded goal.

Congratulations also to Jakub Vrana on finishing three goals off of the team lead in eleven games played

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

lmao

https://theathletic.com/2575969/2021/05/09/its-kind-of-gretzky-like-oilers-star-connor-mcdavids-100-point-season-puts-him-in-rarified-air/

quote:

“Four-point nights aren’t something that come regularly,” said McDavid, who now has seven of them this season.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

It's very funny/insane that the two longest tenured coaches in the NHL after Jon Cooper are Paul Maurice and Jeff Blashill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Mind_Taker posted:

Maybe it's just me but I think aside from a couple of elite talents like Hasek, Lundqvist, and maybe like Rask/Vasilevskiy that NHL goalies are pretty much all interchangeable. Like yeah I wouldn't trot out ECHL goalies or whatever but once you reach a certain skill level it seems like every goalie is just about the same.

This is basically what Dom Luszczyszyn found in his "Cup checklist" article last year that broke down the rosters of the last 10 Cup winners. A strong goalie is a nice-to-have, and you can be a contender with an average one, it really all comes down to them getting hot in the postseason (Cup-winning goalies played at a three-win pace during the season and a five-win pace during the playoffs). And uh, good luck trying to predict that.