Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Gotta be the cheapest charity drive ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oshie KO'd his own goaltender with a shoulder to the head.

It wasn't like a scrambly play either, Oshie just straight up nailed Samsonov. What the hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKM2byew4lo

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oshie KO'd Samsonov and they put him back in net?

What in the gently caress was Laviolette thinking with that one?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Everyone yesterday cleared in case I missed that. Interesting move here though
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1378014845031870464?s=20

Why is no one claiming anyone is there just a gentleman's agreement or something

The Canucks already claimed two forth line scrubs, hopefully that's their limit this year.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Number19 posted:

https://twitter.com/risingaction/status/1378095265375158278?s=21

Whomever called Hughes being dead in a week might have been right :ohdear:

HARVEST THE ORGANS OF EVERYONE EXCEPT HUGHES AND KEEP THEM ON STANDBY IF HUGHES BECOMES ILL

maybe edler too

grack
Jan 10, 2012

VOTE1 posted:

Thankfully Salo isn’t still playing, not sure if he’d die from COVID or get strangled by his mask..

Salo would've already been dead

grack fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 3, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1378192182566342657

It's hard not to see the NHL cancelling some Canucks games (rather than just postponing them), the way things are going for them right now and how close we are to the end of the season.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

Edit: I still can't believe the Canucks ran a morning skate after a positive test result. What a loving unbelievably irresponsible thing to do. I don't give a poo poo about the season any more, I'm just hoping nobody dies.

grack fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 3, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Of all the concerns that I could have had coming in to this season, having to hope that members of the team that I cheer for don't literally die somehow didn't cross my mind.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jhet posted:

When Marco Rossi showed up for his physical before getting to play this season after the world juniors, but then get sent home to Austria to recover four months ago, I didn't have any hope that this season wouldn't have people being wreaked unless it was somehow perfect at staying away from covid (which is basically impossible if you ever leave the house). Rossi is still in Austria and I don't think he's expected to play hockey anymore this year. Maybe next year? I just hope he gets to play again as a person.

As much as I have an intense dislike of the Canucks as a hockey team, I don't want to see any of the guys who play there being left injured by this thing.

Ah, so a lifelong Canucks fan, then?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

triple sulk posted:

Cancel the season

:hmmyes:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Everyone even remotely involved in the decision to have that loving skate after Gaudette tested positive needs to have their asses fired. Holy loving christ.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

oh god please nobody die

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Is this the first variant with different symptoms like that?

They're not new, but from what I've read GI issues are more common with the Brazilian strain. Really worrisome.

NHL just needs to cancel the rest of the Canucks' season and redo the schedule so the rest of the Canadian teams meet the 56 game goal, or as close to it as possible. There's no way Vancouver can play for along, long time, and it's not even something the team should even be thinking about right now.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

triple sulk posted:

Cancel the season so I don't have to subject myself to the Flyers getting wrecked again tonight

It could be worse

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The NHL needs to quit loving around and cancel the Canucks' season. loving hell this is stupid.

This Jim Benning's fault, somehow.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think the Canucks should be forced into a The Replacements type scenario where a bunch of washed up has-beens and minor leaguers have to play

They're all sick as well. The Canucks' farm team (Utica Comets) hasn't played since March 10 and aren't scheduled to play again until April 9 due to COVID issues. The entire organization literally doesn't have enough players to field a roster at the AHL level and up.

Aphrodite posted:

In writing, probably. In practice? That would be a shitstorm.

They're not going to have a choice.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

you mean like loui eriksson-level talent?

I'm trying to imagine the Canucks fielding a team of entirely Loui Erikssons and I think it would be simpler to just forfeit every game.

I also think that I need to start buying whiskey in bulk, or at least in larger quantities than what's normally required for being a Canucks' fan.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

It is very funny just how terrible Daryl Sutter has been as an NHL coach in 2021

It probably doesn't help that Calgary's goaltending is absolute trash

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pfft, I could do that, give me a Selke trophy

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is Noah Hanifin any good? Some nights he flashes good skills, some nights it's like two days ago when his fuckups handed the Leafs three of their four goals. His stats are pretty mediocre but I go back and forth between "he's just a bottom pairing guy on a good team" and "Calgary sucks, he's better than his teammates make him look" and then to "that means he's only the #4 defenseman by ice time on a team that sucks".

I can't decide if he's an OK player that is underrated because his draft slot means he's viewed as a disappointment, or if he sucks and he only keeps getting 20 minutes a night because his draft slot means people will spend the next 10 years playing him and hoping he Reaches His Potential. He's been in the league six years but he's still only 24. I'm trying to figure out if he's likely to be one of those guys that suddenly becomes a Norris candidate at like 28.

Hanifin is decent enough but the Flames are a mess and their goaltending is brutal right now.

Signing a bunch of long-term Canucks to fat UFA deals is turning out not to be a plan for success.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

fancy stats posted:

Hard disagree.

Toffoli wasn't on the Canucks long enough to be tainted.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

reading the covid thread it's apparently the real nasty gently caress p.1 variant going around Vancouver right now so hopefully any Vancouver goons out there are staying safe and those infected recover quickly with no lingering problems

Vancouver is the world epicenter for the Brazilian P1 variant.

we're number one! we're number one!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

inferis posted:

Lmao so it was the practice they had after the first positive.

Something that literally everybody not in the Canucks' organization figured would happen. Just a monumentally stupid decision by everyone involved. FFS, they knew about Gaudette's positive test result and the fact that he'd been socializing with other players the night before the skate.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yeah, good loving luck with that.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nate Schmidt just got added to the protocol list as well.

Cool, cool

grack
Jan 10, 2012

inferis posted:

I thought the two weeks was from a negative tests? If it isn’t this could go bad.

Players have to have three straight negatives tests on three successive days after symptoms abate to leave isolation. They're then subject 14 days of medical monitoring and PCR testing, but can return to the club for skates/training/games etc.

Of course this is all pointless when you're still symptomatic, so that timeline is still a long ways off.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

inferis posted:

Oh so they’re planning to return with an ahl team?

The AHL team is also all dead (they haven't played since March 10)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

inferis posted:

Wait so how are they going to return in a week then?

They pretty obviously aren't going to return, the NHL is just desperately hoping that they don't have to cancel the rest of the Canucks' season so they don't have to cut a cheque to advertisers for the cancelled games.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

fisting by many posted:

source: Iain MacIntyre

Good job, idiot!

Just some great loving decision making all around.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

It was the Cactus Club lol

drat you Cactus Club! First you remove the duck clubhouse from the menu and now you're trying to kill the Canucks! :argh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Eh I feel like NHL management would be far more likely to punish a player for not back-checking enough or frowning in a interview than anything COVID related

Yes well the Canucks are provably run by a pack of phenomenal idiots, so....

grack
Jan 10, 2012

*holds finger under nose*

Yes I, a diehard Leafs fan, would love to see the Leafs pick up some grit and veteran presence in the form of Tanner Pearson and Brandon Sutter. What's that you say? I couldn't be grack, grack doesn't have a mustache!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I don't understand...Is he actively trying to sabotage the team?

*Looks at Jim Benning's history as Canucks' GM*

Yes, yes he is.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Duck Rodgers posted:

I guess gene sequencing is a thing, but is there any indication they've done that?

They've determined that the strain that the Canucks have is a variant through gene sequencing, BCDC is currently working on which variant they have.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Brian Lashoff still exists?

That's Brian "Worth a first- and third-round picks" Lashoff :colbert:

Edit: Damnit, MJeff

grack
Jan 10, 2012

goldrush posted:

Canucks gonna finish the season out with 19 games in 31 days after the entire team had covid. Seems smart! I think they have 25 stooges syndrome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0euMFAWF8

NHL's angry the virus didn't kill the Canucks, hoping the schedule will.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 11, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kilza posted:

March 24th. They had a week-long break and were supposed to play March 31st, but then, uh, yeah, the COVID outbreak happened.

Funny story, it's taken until tonight for Calgary to pass Vancouver in the standings.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

"Also, Horvat's lungs look he aspirated 6 litres of Silly Putty. We're still expecting the Canucks to play on Friday, though. Sign guys off the street, we don't care as long as we don't have to write a cheque to the sponsors."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Duck Rodgers posted:

Maybe gaudette felt bad and outcast from the team because of it, and asked to be traded to get a new start somewhere he isn't the covid outbreak scapegoat

Entirely possible. Gaudette's wife also got a lot of abuse over Twitter from Canucks' "fans".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Lol, Canucks traded Jordie Benn for less than a bag of pucks (6th round pick)

Winnipeg over paid.