Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Oh, all the former Fox Sports channels already did their April Fools joke. By replacing their graphics with something that looks like a teenager in 1995 made it. There's a grey bar that just runs across the bottom 1/10th of the screen with nothing on it and they think they're espn now with spoiling results on a bar that takes up another 1/10th of the screen. It's just so bad to look at and it's distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's a way to distract us from the seething hatred of their stupid name and the mandated propaganda they spread during ad breaks.

I get that they want to make money from naming things. Fine.

But why are you putting it in the way of what people are paying to watch. Oh that’s right. Same reason it looks like a teenager did the graphic design. They have no idea what they’re doing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hahaha... oh. Welcome to Minnesota East. Can I interest Chuck in an overpayed forward or two?

That’s just not a great sign and I’m sorry for your loss.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mcvey posted:

There's no rule that says a coronavirus can't play hockey

Yeah, but the cap hit from its contract is just too expensive for anyone to sign. Really just need to kick it out of the league for the cheap head and chest shots it's been flying around. I bet DoPS won't even take a look at it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

It’s generally not a penalty to slash a stick unless you break it or get up by the hands. They’re just supposed to hold on better.

It can then be interference instead if you knock the stick out of the opposing player's hands.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

Refs almost always don’t interpret it as intentional because there’s so much legal stick checking allowed. You see it on crazy axe swing poo poo.

Yeah, you only see it once in a while. There's a lot of stick lifting and puck battling that happens, but every once in a while they'll get a defender for it when the attacker is holding their stick in one hand like a hot potato. Never once have I thought it was a good call and the player really should have been actually holding onto his stick. Pretty sure it's just something they use as a bullshit make up call.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mind_Taker posted:

That sounds kind of cool compared to other has-beens ripping top 6 guys for being "lazy" and then proceeding to heap praise on like Cal Clutterbuck.

There’s really nothing wrong with appreciation for both sorts of players either. But using one type to rip on the other is just a waste of breath. You want Clutterbuck to make some hits, play aggressive hockey and get everyone energized. You want guys like McDavid and Ovi to smash the puck into the net.

You want guys like Dubinsky to stfu with the off ice chirping and act like grownups. (Even if it’s kind of funny in a childish sort of way.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

grack posted:

Of all the concerns that I could have had coming in to this season, having to hope that members of the team that I cheer for don't literally die somehow didn't cross my mind.

When Marco Rossi showed up for his physical before getting to play this season after the world juniors, but then get sent home to Austria to recover four months ago, I didn't have any hope that this season wouldn't have people being wreaked unless it was somehow perfect at staying away from covid (which is basically impossible if you ever leave the house). Rossi is still in Austria and I don't think he's expected to play hockey anymore this year. Maybe next year? I just hope he gets to play again as a person.

As much as I have an intense dislike of the Canucks as a hockey team, I don't want to see any of the guys who play there being left injured by this thing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

My bet is that Torts wants to get fired so he can start contract negotiations right away. Plenty of teams out there with vacancies and Seattle is a complete wild card. Good time to be a proven coach in need of a new contract if you can get a head start.

Yeah, that's just what Seattle needs. I don't see this happening. Boudreau has a better shot at the job in Seattle and I don't think he's going to get it either.

I would like them to just hire someone already, but I think they're going to wait until after the playoffs.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

Today i listed to the NBC announcers wax on for 5 minutes about how Luke Glendening should definitely be on team USA in the olympics. Like holy poo poo, what

I too hate listening to Pierre McGuire. I don't even know if it was him, but it's the most likely candidate.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I can't even come up with sufficient hate-posting for that bullshit sweater. It overflows.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

It’s what happens when you score one goal. You’ve been fixed!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

lmao the Leafs "rebuilt" Galchenyuk (who has the same PPG this season with the Leafs as he had with the Wild)

Yeah, he’s not rebuilt. He wasn’t in Minnesota and he’s still not. He had some good games, but mostly they were just stinkers. I’d be happy for the guy if he can turn it around, because he did play well in Montreal so it’s definitely possible.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’d not have any problems if he did. But that’s like saying we’ve solved too many plastic bags in a landfill by recycling the first couple bags. When he can repeatedly do it for an entire season then he’ll have fixed that problem.

There were plenty of games last year where he looked fine, but one time does not mean the problems are fixed. Probably a pretty good deal if they can get him scoring even 20 a season.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

Let me be clear I do not actually think Galchenyuk has turned a corner figuratively or literally, Leafs fans are just excited because he looks better on that line than Jimmy Vesey or the ghost of Wayne Simmonds. Which he does, but you know... low bar.

Super low bar. Perhaps I'm just bitter because the price for his stay was Zucker, Addison, and a mystery first round draft pick this year. At least Addison looks like he has the potential to be good in a couple years, or maybe even after Seattle takes one of the MN top 4 D (which I think has to be Dumba, because the other three have either a C or a no-move).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The three Rasmii scored goals tonight

Rasmus Asplund
Rasmus Dahlin
Rasmus Ristolainen

Also Casey Mittelstadt is good now. He’s worked hard to overcome his handicap of being a part of the Sabres organization. But seriously, good for him.

I mean, he was good in high school and college too. Former Mr Hockey you have there. He was good during his one year at Minnesota too. I’d think the last two seasons under Krueger are more of a not-normal and with an actual coach and system he’ll be a decent player for a few years. He won’t be scoring 50 goals, but 50-60 points might be achievable.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

th3t00t posted:

I think Mitts was a chubby, physically underdeveloped teenager who had coasted by on skill alone his entire hockey career and then had a very rude awakening when he was called up to the NHL too soon.

It took a few years but he put in the work in the gym and the kitchen, put on muscle and lost the baby fat.

This is entirely on point. It doesn’t happen every year, but it happens often enough. The difference being most of the guys that sign when the college season is done go straight to the AHL to learn that bigger and faster game to make the step better and get the physical part down better. He’s got the hands and the head to be a good part, but some of them just need a little more help with not rushing into it.

I distinctly remember the Islanders doing it with Okposo, only they took him in the middle of the season he was having at Minnesota (and it incensed me then because he was playing and putting up top 6 points that weren’t replaced). At least they only played him 9 games so they didn’t burn that contract year? I just remember being really cranky with the timing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Oh, so they watch both teams skate? There was no penalty on this play. The game was otherwise filled with minor penalties, but nope.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

VOTE1 posted:

We have maple syrup, but don’t have pancakes thus your point is moot.

But seriously I’d find it hard to jump to another team that had any sense of rivalry with Vancouver, thus new team entering feels like a limited time offer.

Seattle and Vancouver have an automatic rivalry. It’s just built into the geography and no one likes being compared to the other one.

And then there’s Portland desperate to be part of the rivalry three way, but just so small and cute and isn’t it adorable that it thinks it’s a big city?

You should probably start following Arizona. No one has a rivalry with them.

E: We’d still take you following Seattle. Can’t really be that picky and it’ll be fun to watch a new team become serially mediocre.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 9, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mike_V posted:

Would appreciate if the Wild dunked on the Blues tonight so Doug Armstrong doesn't get any stupid ideas about buying at the deadline.

I would appreciate if the Wild dunked on the Blues every night. Armstrong will make plenty of stupid ideas reality in the off season anyway.

After the way they played in 5/6 of the periods against Colorado, I can see this being a really chippy 3 game series. I wouldn't be surprised to see good scoring either.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

Greg Pateryn is still in the league huh

Yeah. Injured most of last year and moved to Colorado for Ian Cole at the beginning of the season. He’s lost a step, but is still probably okay as a 5/6 and can kill penalties. I can think of worse at least.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

That’s the best trade related post all day.

This deadline is really boring.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I feel better that it’s apparently reasonably quiet in St Paul on the trade front. Deadline moves the last couple years have not been good.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

There’s talk of a condensed first round that might have some back to backs, so having two starting quality goalies may be the key to advancing.

Wouldn’t a condensed first round put them further ahead of the North division? I’d hope they use that to catch up the divisions to nearly the same schedule with the disruption.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Zat posted:

Oh neat, early hockey. Coyotes-Wild starts in half an hour.

Early hockey good. Reason for early hockey not good.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

I do! I was still in the midst of shifting allegiance full-time to the Caps, but that team was playing way above their heads that year. Parise was coming into his own. Clarkson was at peak nonsense. Henrique was a Calder candidate. Elias was still a massive playmaker. Brodeur started falling off a cliff (except in the playoffs!)

I remember cursing a lot during the last game of the Finals that year. The refereeing standard was completely different from the rest of that series and it killed the game in the first period. Compared to the rest of that series against LA it was a terribly annoying and boring game.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LumpyGumby posted:

https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1382442520072777728

Ahahahahahahahah:suicide:

...I wish I knew where my old :avsacide: gif went....I lost that and the Leafs and Flyers version...

I guess it’s good that they traded for Dubnyk then huh? He may be on the slope down again, but he’s at least a competent replacement.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Weaponized Autism posted:

I love that NJ is at 0.0004% but Buffalo is ~0%.

I thought Buffalo was mathematically eliminated or was that going to happen today with the Rangers winning?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Who wants to get in front of that bomb

John Tortorella.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

One from the UK for you. Shame there's no comparison between NHL and Elite League too ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSGDhMjim_Q

I mean. If they were good in the English league, wouldn’t someone have been picked up by now? I think last draft was the first time someone from England who played in England was picked? Everyone else grew up playing in Canada or the US if I remember right?

Could definitely be wrong about the details, but I remember a story last year that was all a big deal because of it being so rare.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Stretch Marx posted:

How have I not seen this before? Stumbled on it on reddit and it's almost a decade old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0dfLkzLMoU

The best comment there too.

quote:

Note: Sidney Crosby was not hurt during the play.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wonderllama posted:

They don’t call much in canes/lightning games presumably because they are letting two good teams “decide their own fate” but it’s hard to be sure without Tim peel announcing it over the arena mic

No, I've noticed this in a few games the last week or so with games from a handful of different teams. The standards for what's a call are swinging a little too much right now (even in the same game) depending on the crew you have calling the game.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

just behind him with a .922 is Cam loving Talbot.

Hell yeah he is. Then again, the Defending in front of him is going really well this year too. Breakouts and goal support aren’t hurting either.

Talbot has actually been really good this year too. It started a little slow and then he was out for a bit, but he’s been better than I expected him to be. After the not great goal tending last year it’s been much more consistent this season. (I still can’t believe it’s only been about a season since Boudreau got fired, it’s been over a year).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xzzy posted:

I'm not at all clear what his argument is other than a grown man sitting in a press conference being extremely mad that sacrifices have to be made during a pandemic, so he can gently caress off.

"Oh no, now I'm probably not going to die from a terribly communicable disease... where's my reward?"

He should just go hang out at the outlet malls that are packed so he can find someone who cares.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, it sounds like that's what they did and what he's mad about.

The NHL and NHLPA didn't have a clue when they'd get vaccines to the players when they made those agreements. They already had to tighten things up, and there's no reason to expect things to be 'normal' when the vaccination rate isn't 100%.

Entitled baby on a soapbox is what this is. Did he miss what just happened with the Canucks entirely?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The 4th spot in the west is looking a little similar too. Only the East is keeping the top 4 relatively close, but they have Buffalo, Philly, and NJ to all take points from.

The West schedule is officially extended to May 13 too with Colorado coming back off another pause.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

I think the closest comparison is the Western Division, with whoever comes in fourth place getting eaten alive by Vegas. I assume it's going to be St. Louis when the dust settles.

St. Louis has 3 left against Colorado, 2 vs Vegas, and 5 vs Min. I’d expect Arizona to win that race to lose in the first round. They just don’t have as many left against the top 3 in the West.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Old hockey arenas rule, why do people want restaurants and poo poo at a hockey game?

I don't know, for the not-hockey fans they take with to the games?

Can you still tailgate before the Islander games? I had a friend that moved back to Long Island that's a huge Isles fan, and he'd tell stories of people setting up in the parking lot. This is clearly before they moved to Brooklyn for reasons, but mostly from the 90s.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

They are fun to watch and if we go back to the old divisions the Central is.. lacking in entertaining teams. Colorado would benefit from having a team around that can put up a fight so they dont coast into the playoffs and get swept. :v:

You should maybe watch Minnesota more this year. They’ve been scoring much more than years past and have been a lot of fun most nights. They did go 3-5 with Colorado, but are 4-1-1 against Vegas too. Kaprizov is just a ton of fun to watch make good Defenders look ordinary too. I have no idea how he went in the 5th round, but I’ll take it.

https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/1385076279632830468?s=21

How is that not fun?

Edit: the Blues, Stars, and Jets are so very grindy though. Arizona won’t be much of an addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

I have fallen for the old "No Minnesota is good now that we have player X, just watch how fun we are" twice already, wont happen again. :colbert:

I’ve been following them since about 2003. This is the first time it’s been actually fun. It’s been such a grind for a long time.

I too have fallen for it before. (And will probably again.)