Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s hilarious how he very blatantly had his stick slashed out of his hands but no penalty was called! That wasn’t the only time something like that happened to him last night, and I only watched the highlights.

Skinny :love:

It’s generally not a penalty to slash a stick unless you break it or get up by the hands. They’re just supposed to hold on better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jhet posted:

It can then be interference instead if you knock the stick out of the opposing player's hands.

Refs almost always don’t interpret it as intentional because there’s so much legal stick checking allowed. You see it on crazy axe swing poo poo.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Chad Sexington posted:

What call was he even appealing for there?

e: I guess Stall was doing some light spearing?

It wasn't much, but this seems to capture it.

https://twitter.com/brettfinger/status/1384676805802594304

e: Actually, Gourde was already appealing for a call at the start of that clip, so maybe he got wacked or something.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wonder what the refs called the actual penalty as? Delay of game?

The penalty is hilariously named "Participating in the Play Over the Center Red Line," and sadly also prohibits the goalie checking someone down the ice.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

CBJSprague24 posted:

That was his last goal, too.

Caps probably should have kept him for at least another year. He was still really good as a mid-roster player, though it's probably true he was asking for a lot of money for that role.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1389688908187906050

Kuznetsov loving up again. He had a not-very-mild case of Covid earlier in the year, of course.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm not trolling when I say I don't think Wilson did anything especially bad yesterday. Leaning on Buchnevich and giving him the business while he was pinned was scummy for sure, but didn't add up to much. Panarin had a bad outcome for losing a grapple with a much stronger guy whose back he jumped on. Slow-mo makes everything look absurdly intentional but I don't think Wilson really grabbed his hair or meant to brain him when slamming him down. I sincerely think Wilson has done things a million times worse, with real malice, and I think that really distorts how people see his actions now and creates these moral panic type things. On the other hand, it's fair to say he earned his reputation, so what are you gonna do?

The Rags statement is loving hilarious, though.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Looks like we may have another horrifying act of violence on our hands.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

How the hell can a player be forced not to get surgery to fix a medical problem? If I was the Players Association, I’d be screaming mad right now. Closest example of crap like this that I can think of is how two years ago the Washington Football Team did Left Tackle Trent Williams dirty by not properly diagnosing a goddam cancerous growth on his head that may have killed him some day. He demanded a trade and got it, it was a massive clusterfuck for the WFT. (In other words, business as usual for Dan Snyder…)

Standard Player Contracts lay out that you must allow yourself to be seen and diagnosed by the team's medical staff. If they say you don't need surgery, the player has to seek a second opinion as laid out in the SPC and so on. The team has some control over who is diagnosing players and determining appropriate treatment in part because they pay for the medical costs.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jhet posted:

You mean the same people who liked to ignore head injuries in the past? Seems like there's nothing wrong with this, right?

Yes, they'd be paying for the medical costs. That's what insurance is for though, and this seems like something that's covered by law somewhere. It's a bit too much like your warehouse general manager getting to decide if you need foot surgery after a box fell on it and broke 3 bones. That's a recipe for big lawsuits.

Yeah, to be clear I'm not defending management against the side of labor. This is just a big source of leverage that they have to control these things and part of why it's pretty crappy for players.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

So DC Mayor said Capital One Arena can go 100% attendance on June 11th. Seems kinda early and maybe not the best of ideas, but what do I know.

Any other cities going 100%?

I wonder if Monumental is going to require vaccination to buy tickets. Seems unlikely when they could instead make more money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I didn't pay attention to any of that stuff when I was younger. Makes sense. Looking the time timeline now, Cassidy was like 35 they first hired him, he probably just didn't have any real experience. Not making any excuses for him because adults who are 35 should generally know better, but athletes are dumb as poo poo.

A few years ago Brendan Witt offered a player's perspective on what one of Cassidy's issues may have been in those days:

https://twitter.com/RFCapsMoustache/status/828953674403741696/photo/1