Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

The Golden Man posted:

Nah tikkanen just loving ruled

From the last thread about Gretzky assisting on the other 3 Edmonton guys in the top-5 of fastest shorthanded goals.

Tikkanen did it during the season Gretzky had just gotten traded to LA. Tikkanen's two goals were assisted by Kurri (and a second-assist on one of them by Lowe). Tikkanen just loving ruled.

e: Pat Hughes 2 SHG were not assisted by Gretzky, either. And only 1 of Messier's SHG was assisted by Gretzky (the other by Coffey).

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It is a crime that we haven't gotten a full season from Matthews these past two seasons. He was on a ~54 goal pace last year, and this year, he's on a ~62 goal pace. Both over a 82 game schedule.

McDavid is currently on a ~139 point pace.

These are both ridiculous numbers. I wish we could have seen them in a full season. Here's hoping this isn't their absolute peak.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I love this rumour, because supposedly people were arguing whether Tay Tay would get a first rounder, like, last week. But now, he's worth the Leafs two top prospects (who, I believe, are highly regarded prospects in the league), PLUS another prospect.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Keep in mind, that’s Leafs 1st will be the 32nd overall pick, so it’s basically a 2nd.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

WeaponX posted:

Yeah but keep in mind it’s 33 yr old Nick Foligno

You bring up a good point. His age makes him hungrier to win the Cup this year.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It is possible Chara is defending the blue line, too.

bewbies posted:

man getzlaf and eric stall are gonna be interesting HOF debates

Yes and...yes.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Kopitar has more of a case than Getzlaf/Staal, both of whom I think will make it, and he's going to get in the first go-around.

My thing is that if you don't believe these 3 will get in, then who post-lockout will make it in? These 3 are some of the best in the past 15 years. My guess is that there's typically 3 players inducted a year, so it shouldn't be an issue for these 3.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean... just going through draft classes since 2000:

2000: Lundqvist
2001: Probably no one, boy did this draft suck
2002: Keith
2003: MAF, Burns, Weber, Bergeron, maybe Staal, maybe Getzlaf, maybe Perry
2004: Ovechkin, Malkin
2005: Crosby, Kopitar, Letang, probably Quick
2006: Toews, Marchand, Backstrom, maybe Kessel
2007: Kane, maybe Subban, maybe Benn
2008: Stamkos, Doughty, Karlsson, maybe Pietrangelo, maybe Carlson
2009: Tavares, Hedman, maybe O'Reilly
2010: Maybe Tarasenko, but that's probably it

By this point everyone is midcareer so too soon to tell. I didn't realize Staal/Getzlaf were in such a loaded draft class, but the draft was barren for several years before that. Also interesting that Lundqvist and Luongo are pretty much the only Great Goalies of the 21st century and it's unclear if/when we'll see another one.

Please note I'm speculating on who I think is likely to get in, not who I personally think should.

Even with this list, though, it's 31 players. Obviously not every player on here is a slam dunk, but if roughly 30 male hockey players get in per decade (and again, I am just going by my assumption that roughly 3 make it per year), then I think it's a case where Staal and Getzlaf have a place in the Hall of Fame.

ThinkTank posted:

Bob Gainey is likely the closest comparable to Bergeron, but he had four more cups and a Conn Smythe on top of everything Bergeron has. I think Bergeron deserves to be in the hall, but I don't think he's any sort of slam dunk. It could take a while.

So, obviously this goes without saying, but I have never seen Gainey play. But, I don't think Gainey is a good comparison. Bergeron has much better offensive stats than Gainey, despite playing in a lower scoring era than Gainey. Some of this could be because Gainey played on an absolutely stacked Montreal team, so he didn't need to worry as much about scoring. But, Bergeron already has 400+ points than Gainey, and has played less games. I also realize sometimes Selke can be a reputation award, but Bergeron has 5 other top-3 finishes to go with his 4 Selkes, whereas Gainey only finished second after his 4 Selkes.

I think Bergeron is a slam dunk. He's going to fly in.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean... just going through draft classes since 2000:

2001: Probably no one, boy did this draft suck

I started thinking about Kovalchuk today, and I wondered if he stayed in the NHL, would he have made the HHOF? He probably would have hit 500 goals and 1000 points, which is especially good because he played most of his career in a low-scoring era. But, he didn't have a great reputation, and played most of his career with the Thrashers. He did have one good Finals run with New Jersey, but who knows what would have happened with the Devils if he stayed with the team. They have only made the playoffs once since their Finals run (on another note -- does anybody remember the Devils finals run in the 2010s??), and I am not sure how many more points he could helped them get. His contract would have made it impossible to trade him.

And, after looking at the 2001 draft, the only other player who is a big maybe is Spezza. I don't think he makes it, but I think he's worth a conversation. For someone who compiled a lot of points on some great Ottawa teams, he really lacks any Hart trophy voting, and if I recall correctly, most people attributed his line's success to Alfredsson and Heatley. When his career is done, he feels like someone who everyone will think had a very good career, but oft-injured and because of this, may be the reason he is left out. Oddly, for all of his injuries, he still has 1164 games played as of this post.

But, you are right, there is literally no one else from 2001 that is even worth discussing. Arguably the third best player from the draft was any one of Hamhuis, Pominville, or Mikko Koivu.

I am in peak offseason posting form.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think it's Patrick Sharp. I also think he would get HHOF attention before any of the three guys you mentioned (to be clear I don't think any of them will, just that he's the most likely) due to being a three time cup winner with Chicago and an Olympic Gold guy.

I skipped over his name, apparently, but yeah, I agree with you. They are roughly all the same in terms of career value, but the Cups and Gold make Sharp's resume that much better. Even if Sharp may have been the 6th or 7th most important piece to that team (note: I am just guessing, I haven't gone down the list).

Chad Sexington posted:

I do! I was still in the midst of shifting allegiance full-time to the Caps, but that team was playing way above their heads that year. Parise was coming into his own. Clarkson was at peak nonsense. Henrique was a Calder candidate. Elias was still a massive playmaker. Brodeur started falling off a cliff (except in the playoffs!)

For some reason, although I know all of those players played for New Jersey, I never thought that their times lined up. I don't know why that is. I thought Parise was already gone, and Brodeur had already retired.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Guy's case is also hurt by a lot of good years tucked away in Dallas where no one saw him or cared. He also seems like the kind of guy that everyone loved and that counts so who knows, maybe in a slow year.

Remember when badbladcock benched him in his return to Ottawa to, uh, send a message? Boy what a piece of poo poo.

I would have also guessed that Spezza made at least one Olympics team, but nope! Looks like he was a reserve in 2006, and then was at the Summer Camp before 2010.

I don't think I have been so excited for a coach, and then disliked him so much within such a short span.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

entire league of dumb asses said Taylor Hall was broken but he has his 2nd goal in 3 games for Boston. I guess Bjork has been better so far, technically, for Buffalo though.

On a team that had a low amount of goals for, and a team full of players underperforming their expectations, and everyone just assumed Hall became bad after one season.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am glad the Leafs are the Leafs. They make things entertaining.

The other day, we were discussing Brad Marchand, and I meant to say at the time, he has an incredibly weird career trajectory. He was always a good goal scorer, but he hit this other level in his age-28 season with his playmaking, and has looked like one of the best players in the league over the past five seasons. I wish it had happened to literally any other player but Marchand.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

tinstaach posted:

I don't think he came up in that brief aside we had about fringe Hall of Famers, but he's got to be a pretty fringe case. On the one hand, he's got the GP record, 2 Olympic golds, and he lasted long enough to get past 500 goals and 1100 points. On the other, he's won no Cups or awards of any kind, and has a career high of 86 points.

Seems like a no to me. All of his comparables on his hockey-reference page are in the HoF though, if that means anything at all.

Marleau feels like a case where he had a very good career, but not one that I think gets him in the Hall. I am usually not opposed to compilers, but nothing in Marleau's career really screams worthy of induction. He did not have a great peak (finished top-10 in goals twice, never top-10 in points), and his 500+ goals and 1000+ points seem to be more the case of him staying healthy. And, his playoff stats are not good. It really feels like if the Sharks won the Cup, he has a much better shot.

Looking at his comparables, the closest looks like Andreychuk (not according to H-R, but my own judgement). And while he made it, it took him a while. I wonder if his 640 goals swayed more people? Maybe the same thing will happen to Marleau. Who knows?

e: Nieuwendyk is his closest comparable, but Nieuwendyk had 5 top-10 goal finishes, and a Conn Smythe trophy with his Cup.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I thought this was one of those cherry-picked stats, but no, it appears its legit. Lemieux did it for 15 seasons.

I can't think of anybody else who would have done it for that long. By my count, Howe did it for 17 seasons but not consecutively.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Marvel Dionne came very close with 15 consecutive seasons although was 1 point off being ppg in his rookie season and 2 points off being ppg in his 17th season.

A few guys like Bobby Hull did it if you include the WHA.

I didn't even notice that when I was looking at Dionne!

Oddly, for being one of the top scorers in history, Esposito wasn't a PPG as often as other top guys. I guess getting 687 points in 389 games (~1.76 PPG) will really help your career stats.

Sakic nearly had 16 consecutive seasons, but he had one year in the middle where he missed by 1 point.

I really believe Crosby will be thought of as the fifth best player all-time after the Big 4, if he hasn't already achieved that by now.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

The sun is shining, the playoffs are approaching, posters are melting down over nothing and the birds are chirping merrily from the treetops. Oh the simple beauty of the warmer weather and inexplicable raging about haters. Spring has truly spring.

I prefer to save my meltdowns for when someone dares suggest Panarin is a top-5 player in the league.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

He was "on" the Coyotes. Datsyuk was the same situation. Traded because of their cap hit, but never actually played for them.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

We should keep this until the playoffs.

Another interesting thing about Crosby's season. If he managed to finish in the top-10 in points again, he'll tie Beliveau for 3rd all-time in top-10 finishes with 12. Howe has 21 and Gretzky has 16.

He is currently tied for 3rd with 9 top-5 finishes (Howe has 20 and Gretzky has 16), and tied for 3rd with 8 top-3 finishes (Gretzky has 15 and Howe has 12).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Bruins win today pretty much locks up the four teams making the East playoffs I think. The Rangers still have a chance but they'd have to win all of their final five games (against NYI, Caps x2, Bruins x2) and they also need the Islanders or Bruins to not end up with more than 68 points. Boston is currently at 66 and the Islanders are at 65.

The Islanders are the only team of the four that I don't find particularly interesting. I almost want the Rangers to squeak in and beat them out because any combination of Caps/Penguins/Bruins/Rangers seems like a fun playoff series.

I also feel like it'd be more interesting to see the Rangers in the mix, even though there's probably a <1% chance of happening.

I am just hoping we get to see a Toronto/Montreal 1st round. Last time it happened was in 1979, even though the Leafs/Habs have been in the same division since 1998. But, I guess missing the playoffs for a decade will hurt the chances of ever seeing that happen. By my count, they have both made the playoffs together 5 times since 1998.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I like that no one names Mr. Islander himself, Josh Bailey.

I was looking at his stat page the other day -- closing in on 1000 games played with the Islanders.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I always supported the Phil Kessel deal because Phil Kessel is, like, one of my top-3 favourite hockey players of all-time. And that's all I need to evaluate how good a deal is.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

clean ayers act posted:

The wings will end the season with a defensman leading the team in points(25 as of now with 1 game left)
Christ this team needs offense

Hey, Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, and Denis Potvin have done it!

Maybe Hronek is on that path?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It would be really funny if the three remaining Calgary vs. Vancouver games actually get played. I guess the only thing they would be playing for is draft lottery position? I also can't seem to find any information for when the playoffs actually start, so I am unsure if everyone is going to be waiting until after this series is done before they start.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am starting to think that Connor McDavid may be good.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Trading Eichel would be the worst thing Buffalo could do right now. Like ThinkTank said, he is in a higher tier than players like ROR or Stone. This is a guy who, if I am remembering correctly, was being considered as possibly making the jump to being a top-5 center in the league, if he wasn't already. He possesses talent and skill that is incredibly difficult to find in the draft, even if Buffalo picks in the top-3 the next few years. And, the players/picks they'd receive for Eichel would probably not be worth it (I use the word probably, but I am 99% sure it won't be worth it).

It really goes to show that you can draft can't-miss prospects like Eichel and Dahlin, but if you don't build the team infrastructure around these players, then it's all for nothing.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

They aren't really going to have a choice. Eichel has already made it clear he's had enough and is prepared to make himself a massive nuisance until he's gone. And they have until next deadline to move him before his NMC kicks in, which would dramatically reduce the return they'd get by reducing the number of teams even allowed to bid.

I mean the team can just tell him to pound sand but he's already made it clear his response to that is "I don't trust you with my health so I am not going to play/am going to play strictly in Chill Mode."

Trading Eichel for 25 cents on the dollar at best (because getting anywhere near fair value for a player of his caliber is impossible) sucks horribly, but it's still better than having a disgruntled star making $10M/year drifting through every game avoiding contact like the plague.

They can, and should, sit down with him and ask "What do we need to do to make you happy here?" but I'm pretty sure the only answer is "the Pegulas need to sell the team" which isn't happening, so here we are.

You are correct, and I should have added something like, "it's the worst thing they can do...but also they thing they are going to have to do."

But hey, when Thornton got traded in 2005, Boston soon became a great team, and also won the Cup. Maybe this will happen here. Maybe Mittelstadt will become the next Bergeron, and there is a Chara waiting to be signed in free agency.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I'd like to apologize for the disparaging remarks I made when the Canadiens traded Domi for Josh Anderson. While I still question giving Josh Anderson of all players a 7-year deal, at least he's scoring at the same rate he did when he hit 27 in 18-19.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Carwash oval office posted:

Was Maurice the Leafs coach after their golden Gilmour years? When they were a terrible team who grinded all year to miss the playoffs by one point?

Some quick research says yes he was. Those were such bad teams that got so much attention on our Canadian national networks. Darcy Tucker just can’t be the face of a franchise.

There was over a ten-year gap between the golden Gilmour years and when Maurice became coach. There was even another golden team in between!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

There appears to be a team missing…

Far be it from me to cast doubt on this list gifted to us by the Gods at NHL.com, but Bobrovsky on this list? Price? I will not stand for this Rittich erasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

So he could break the NHL record for highest percentage of a team's goals a player accounted for.

https://twitter.com/DNBsports/status/1393686622172975104?s=20

Ah yes, one of the most sought-after records that all fans were following.