Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
What I hope will happen is that when the Mavs get 360 no-scoped by Steph Curry to get knocked out of the play-in tourney, it will cause some kind of jarring realization that most of their 30 MPG guys are 20 MPG guys, and the 20 MPG guys are 10 MPG guys, and the Trey Burke guys are Guys You Shouldn't Give a Three-Year Contract To Guys. It feels like they value all of their role players a full letter grade above where they actually are relative to the league, especially defensively. Like they don't recognize that giant chasm between Luka Doncic and Useful Glue Guys that you're supposed to fill with good starters.

What I suspect will happen is the Mavs will sign a decent bench player a la Wright or Noel that will be a perma-DNP-CD by game 35 and prepare to get rejected by Julius Randle in 2022 when Mark Cuban no-shows because he's having trouble getting his new social media-enabled toothbrush to connect to the WiFi and Donnie Nelson falters when Randle asks why the the five-year plan is just a variety of different-colored question marks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This playoff run got me into the NBA, so much incredible borderline unwatchable basketball

https://twitter.com/Charlottean28/status/1383826231192264705?s=20

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dutchy posted:

What I hope will happen is that when the Mavs get 360 no-scoped by Steph Curry to get knocked out of the play-in tourney, it will cause some kind of jarring realization that most of their 30 MPG guys are 20 MPG guys, and the 20 MPG guys are 10 MPG guys, and the Trey Burke guys are Guys You Shouldn't Give a Three-Year Contract To Guys. It feels like they value all of their role players a full letter grade above where they actually are relative to the league, especially defensively. Like they don't recognize that giant chasm between Luka Doncic and Useful Glue Guys that you're supposed to fill with good starters.

What I suspect will happen is the Mavs will sign a decent bench player a la Wright or Noel that will be a perma-DNP-CD by game 35 and prepare to get rejected by Julius Randle in 2022 when Mark Cuban no-shows because he's having trouble getting his new social media-enabled toothbrush to connect to the WiFi and Donnie Nelson falters when Randle asks why the the five-year plan is just a variety of different-colored question marks

In this scenario, Cuban reads my complaints on his social media-enabled toothbrush's cyber dust app.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Unwatchable my rear end. Inject that poo poo into my veins..

Edit
Particularly scathing comments cause the tooth brush to extend slightly, inducing the gag reflex.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

Unwatchable my rear end. Inject that poo poo into my veins..

Edit
Particularly scathing comments cause the tooth brush to extend slightly, inducing the gag reflex.

every time I watch the clip of Tayshaun murdering Reggie I'm reminded that the final score in that game was 72-67

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Dutchy posted:

oh yeah I'm expecting this to happen too

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

update on MVP Tiers:
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1383983703005667332?s=20

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

morestuff posted:

every time I watch the clip of Tayshaun murdering Reggie I'm reminded that the final score in that game was 72-67

Eh. It's a hard line to spot. Some games had ultra low scores and felt like you watched two desperate fighters scratching out any advantage they could.

Some low scoring games make you question why you dedicate so much time to watching other people be rich and successful and exciting.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

This playoff run got me into the NBA, so much incredible borderline unwatchable basketball

Watching them absolutely smother and dominate other teams was incredible. They made the other team regret being born

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, I love low scoring games when every bucket is a huge victory because the defenses are stamping out everything. When it's two teams clanging lazy jumpers that's different.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I know no one cares about the Clippers but I find it interesting that they only have 15 games left, less than everyone else in the West, and only a couple of back to backs. So they’ll be relatively well rested heading into the playoffs. And PG has been on an absolute tear lately - arguably the best stretch of his career.

So yes expecting a first round exit this time round.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Rondo gives them an interesting wrinkle, it won't be George and Leonard taking turns shooting iso mid rangers this year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Article about people challenging retired NBA scrubs and getting owned:

quote:

For Scalabrine, the reason he gets his skills continually questioned goes beyond the confidence of the challengers.

“Joakim Noah said it best,” Scalabrine said, referring to his former teammate on the Chicago Bulls. “He said, ‘Scal, you look like you suck, but you don’t suck.’”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/sports/basketball/why-the-worst-nba-player-is-probably-still-better-than-you.html

Featuring Scalabrine, Michael Sweetney, Adonal Foyle, and current WNBAer Cheyenne Parker.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

while watching tonight's ESPN Sunday Night Baseball telecast it finally hit me how funny the concept of A-Rod The Ownership Face of Minnesota Timberwolves is.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I would be fine if Magic just had the lone binding vote in MVP every year.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Rondo gives them an interesting wrinkle, it won't be George and Leonard taking turns shooting iso mid rangers this year.

One thing I’ve realised is that PG wasn’t anywhere near 100% healthy last year. He’s had at least one sick dunk every game this year and he had maybe one the whole of last season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lakers being above .500 and picking up ground on the Mavs and Blazers over the past couple weeks is comforting.

It has helped that so many teams were also hurt or decided to rest.

Seems like we might actually get the hallway series this time.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I heard on a podcast that Bill Walton put five PAC 10 teams in his final four bracket. If that’s true, the man should be the only person allowed to vote for awards.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

if you look at both of these pictures at once and cross your eyes, the hair actually materializes on jim boylen's head instead and it's very good. ty for this mangles

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

Article about people challenging retired NBA scrubs and getting owned:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/sports/basketball/why-the-worst-nba-player-is-probably-still-better-than-you.html

Featuring Scalabrine, Michael Sweetney, Adonal Foyle, and current WNBAer Cheyenne Parker.

This was good

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Jack's Flow posted:

I heard on a podcast that Bill Walton put five PAC 10 teams in his final four bracket.

This is great.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Like Paul is clearly worth 15-20 wins or more tho his “advanced stats” don’t reflect that at all. Getting kind of tired of some of these stats honestly.

I suppose if you close your eyes his advanced stats do look bad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

I can’t believe the Michael Redd Bucks had the fourth best offense in the league.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The Raptors have extended this season's breakout superstar Yuta Watanabe

https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/status/1384108524922232847
https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/status/1384117641304895488

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Watanabe was a great pickup. I mean, probably just a good low-usage, swiss army knife rotation guy seeing as he's already 26 but getting one of those out of a 2-way is a great investment.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The Raptors roster his year is the veritable land of contrasts. Locked up FVV for less than expected. Some really nice pickups at zero cost. The trades they made at the deadline, in retrospect, were superb.

Except Ujiri got so tiled by Giannis signing an extension that he counted deal with the center position. He signed two tall guys who were available, and did nothing to fix the problem when they turned out to be unplayable bad. Orlando dumps Khem Birch into their lap, and the team just plays so, so much better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't underestimate the impact of playing a full season on the road does for a team. As funky of a season this was for everyone it was way worse for the Raptors. Their center issues were part of it for sure, but I think this was always going to be a lost season for them.

I also think their roster is actually more of a .500 roster anyway and last season they just outperformed by a pretty big margin. I think for a long time Lowry had a much bigger impact on the game than most people gave him credit for, but he just isn't doing that this season and he's 35 now so he's not going to drag teams to an extra 5+ wins anymore.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah they aren't as bad as they looked at the start of this year but Pascal playing way over his head for the first half of last year probably made them look a little better than they actually were. It's a roster of very good complementary pieces looking for a star

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said it wasn’t all Boylens fault last year and I was right

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Maneck posted:

The Raptors roster his year is the veritable land of contrasts. Locked up FVV for less than expected. Some really nice pickups at zero cost. The trades they made at the deadline, in retrospect, were superb.

Except Ujiri got so tiled by Giannis signing an extension that he counted deal with the center position. He signed two tall guys who were available, and did nothing to fix the problem when they turned out to be unplayable bad. Orlando dumps Khem Birch into their lap, and the team just plays so, so much better.

Masai was smart not to overcorrect and pay too much for a center at the deadline. They've mostly just been incredibly unlucky so far, their expected W-L would have them a game back of homecourt

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

I suppose if you close your eyes his advanced stats do look bad.

My point was the stats simulacrum wasn’t showing how actually valuable he was . Not that he’s has bad simulacrum stats

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

euphronius posted:

Give Boylen Chris Paul and watch him take a ragtag team to the sixth seed just like Billy. You're comparing oranges (bad coach with a bad team) to oranges (bad coach with a bad team)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

euphronius posted:

It's Boylen's, well Paxson's fault you burnt 1-2 years of player development of young players with a dumb motherfucker as a coach.

The players also just aren't that good, but dear god was Boylen just hot garbage as a coach

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Katana_Warrior posted:

Give Boylen Chris Paul and watch him take a ragtag team to the sixth seed just like Billy. You're comparing oranges (bad coach with a bad team) to oranges (bad coach with a bad team)

I see your point but

If they had a “good coach” (whatever that is) I don’t think there would be much a difference

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

euphronius posted:

I see your point but

If they had a “good coach” (whatever that is) I don’t think there would be much a difference

Right, no one can spin "denzel valentine on an NBA court" into a positive outcome.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1384154174867218435?s=19
really hope his shot keeps improving so he can start and win DPOY

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/DcKSRZa.mp4

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I would like a 10 minute video breakdown of how the landing stress impact of a dunk like this compares to standard dunks in shoes

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
A sport like this would be as stupidly dangerous as it would be totally rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I want see a video of all the failed attempts.