Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The roster of fictional characters LeBron wants for his team is funny. GM LeBron never rests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Yoshi Wins posted:

Should've included Shabazz Napier

Didn't the Heat only draft him (in an attempt to get LeBron to stay) because LeBron tweeted about him playing well in the tournament?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I also saw the Joker, Jabber Jaw, and Doc Brown.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Still a pandemic going on. If I had to work with him on ESPN, I'd be a little perturbed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Mavs already recruiting another Euro for next season.
https://twitter.com/pandahank41/status/1378472323490013184

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1378778318972071939
He is made of glass.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

So the past few weeks, I've watched a ton of the men and women's college tournaments. I haven't watched much of women's college basketball before this year. Why does the women's game have such better rules than the men's? I feel like I've seen more entertaining games from the women's tournament than the men's. (Though the best game in either that I've seen this year was UCLA/Gonzaga last night)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 5, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If Durant was a lesser player and had all the same off the court issues, he’d be nearly universally hated here.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

It may be worse than a one game thing.
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1379189438983585793
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1379189638829576196

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1379252660751237120

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

We should put up a statue for Shane Larkin and Cleanthony Early if that is the metric

Respect Shane Larkin, he was the 2019 All-Europe Player of the Year after all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

nikosoft posted:

How can anyone hate CP3? He's short and petty and his commercials are actually mildly funny.

Most of it seems to be based off of inopportune nut punching.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Rip Hamilton led the league in 3PT% during one of the Flip Saunders’ years. He’s just forever associated with the midrange game because that’s how he established himself and was the leading scorer on a title team.

I remember thinking of him as a 3 point shooter. Is the year he led, the year he shot 1.5 threes per game? Wild how different the game was not that long ago.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

He did but it was also shooting like 1.5 a game so it was probably only when he was like comically open. The year where he had the most attempts per game he shot under 30% and he's generally just kind of all over the place percentage wise because the sample was never very big. For his career it was 34% which isn't anything special but like I said I'm sure he'd be shooting way more of them and working on making it the focal point of his game if he came up now, for the most part anyone who shoots that well on long 2s and free throws can stretch out to the 3 point line fine if they actually work on it.

Even for his era he was unusually mid ranged focused, at least for a guy who wasn't really dribbling a ton and taking so many catch and shoot jumpers

One of the biggest things I remember about him was his ability to use screens to get shots.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

verbal enema posted:

1.5 billion or 3 Mike Trout contracts to buy the Wolves

wtf baseball

lol I couldn't even recognize a picture of Mike Trout.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

It'd be nice if the Lakers stopped winning games while LBJ and the Brow are out. Mavs need to get out of the 7th seed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

When Maxi Kleber is out, the Mavs are more likely to lose than win this season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

A great Luka highlight that wasn't in game.
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1381749935557726208

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The play in should only happen when a playoff seed has a negative record, teams with negative records should have to then beat teams not in with the positive records regardless of conference. Then the worse East seeds could be replaced by West teams in most years.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

One of the better posts of the season. Thank you.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NBA content is different these days.
https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1382372396557033473

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rick posted:

If the MVP award is which player is probably most responsible for his team's success it's Steph but I can't pretend to care enough to argue for it beyond that.

I can accept Steph for this but I feel like if the Mavs didn't have Luka this season, they might have single digit wins.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

then it’d just go to lebron every year

Nah, it'd go to Luka this season and last.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Now that the Knicks are sort of ok I guess does that mean the bulls are the current most fan torturing franchise?

Its got to be a team that hasn't won a title and hasn't been good for a long period of time.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If the Olympics gets canceled any time soon, I hope they restructure the rest of the season's schedule.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas has been looking for a consistent number 2 scorer since 2004. Donnie Nelson should not be a GM but Cuban will never fire him

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

a vicious attack on the legacy of JET

I love him but Jason Terry wasn't consistent. It felt like many years he would disappear at critical moments in the playoffs. (I guess that is one way to be consistent.) The fact that their best consistent number 2 scorer in the Dirk or Luka eras tops out at 6th man of the year shows how little helps stars in Dallas get from Donnie Nelson.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

jackofarcades posted:

Like, I'm all here for maybe shaking things up here and I'm upset the Mavs have looked like poo poo lately, but I don't think the problem is the offense, here

1) Donnie got, in one trade, a guy averaging 21 and another averaging 16
2) He drafted a 6MOY candidate in the 2nd round who is averaging 13
3) he's one year removed from putting together one of the greatest offenses of all time?

He hasn't put together a team that can win a playoff series since 2011. How many GMs get a decade of 0 playoff success? Porzingis is nice but much less so when you consider games played.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dutchy posted:

What I hope will happen is that when the Mavs get 360 no-scoped by Steph Curry to get knocked out of the play-in tourney, it will cause some kind of jarring realization that most of their 30 MPG guys are 20 MPG guys, and the 20 MPG guys are 10 MPG guys, and the Trey Burke guys are Guys You Shouldn't Give a Three-Year Contract To Guys. It feels like they value all of their role players a full letter grade above where they actually are relative to the league, especially defensively. Like they don't recognize that giant chasm between Luka Doncic and Useful Glue Guys that you're supposed to fill with good starters.

What I suspect will happen is the Mavs will sign a decent bench player a la Wright or Noel that will be a perma-DNP-CD by game 35 and prepare to get rejected by Julius Randle in 2022 when Mark Cuban no-shows because he's having trouble getting his new social media-enabled toothbrush to connect to the WiFi and Donnie Nelson falters when Randle asks why the the five-year plan is just a variety of different-colored question marks

In this scenario, Cuban reads my complaints on his social media-enabled toothbrush's cyber dust app.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

jimmy butler would never take notice of what’s going on at chipotle. that’s time away from the gym, where he could be, working hard

He would find out by sending rookies and asking for an oral report while he works out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Now do Win Shares in the Marvel universe. Who wins out in Endgame?

All time winshares is likely Iron Man or Thor do to number of games played and their general power levels. Endgame might have Doctor Strange win out. The only other hero who could win is Iron Man. Hulk is probably third. Ant-Man would have an underrated number of winshares.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

I would watch a Zach Snyder NBA crossover for sure tho

I’d love to see his style for dunks.

Here’s a Zach Snyder made Michael Jordan hype video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_k9Jw7rDWwU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

I had a mighty ducks starter jacket when I was a kid and then bought a couple shirts when I was living around there and started following the ducks casually and going to games a few times a year. The team should go back to that name and logo and stop being embarassed about being associated with the movie everyone is gonna associate them with anyway

Agree that they should stop being embarrassed about being associated with the movie. Also believe that the Mighty Ducks is better than Space Jam.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Grizzlies are the team of the future.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

AggressivelyStupid posted:

"Conventional" wisdom until relatively recently, sadly

Anyone else remember announcers praising players for taking a few steps in the line to take a better shot when they had an open three?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Linneman added that he believes basketball players “just need to play the game and that’s it” and “their opinion doesn’t really matter.”

gently caress that guy, hope his bar fails. His opinion doesn’t really matter.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Jeanie Buss not naming Jerry West to her most important Lakers list is ridiculous. Not surprised with how the franchise under her dad did West dirty by basically running him out. I'll never understand why he was run out of the organization, he is one of the smartest minds in basketball/is at least partially responsible for a ridiculous amount of championships.

(Phil Jackson was on her list so I think it is fair to factor in their post playing contributions.)

Kobe Bryant
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
LeBron James
Magic Johnson
Phil Jackson

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 25, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Mavs move out of the 7th seed. Hard to believe it will last when the next game has this kind of injury report.
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1386715582754525188
lol all 5 starters.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

I do hope the Mavs stay out of the play-in gauntlet since they really should be a cut above. Also Portland, Memphis, SA, and Warriors is a fun as poo poo play-in tourny for the West.

I'm rooting for Warriors vs Portland for the play-in. Really want to see Curry v Dame in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

8 of the last 13 Mavericks's games are part of b2bs. Guess we won't be seeing much of Porzingis for the rest of the regular season.

The NBA is so stupid for having a compressed schedule in a season with less games.

Then again, it is clear they don't care that much about the product or they'd halt play while they don't have enough qualified refs to ref the league. Kind of insane they aren't getting poo poo on more for that.