Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
People keep trying to tell me about them, and my ability to comprehend what they are saying is basically nil. It feels like I'm listening to a crazy person talk, except then you get a couple of them together and then it feels like I am the crazy person, because it is obvious they have an understanding of reality that is consistent between them but is in no way representative of reality as I understand it.

Someone please explain this to me in a way I can understand, because my current understanding of the technology is "... so it's like beanie babies except instead of stuffed animals its collectible URLs?" and that can't be right because nothing they say makes any sense that I can figure if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

PokeJoe posted:

It's a digital sticky note.

Hmm. This makes it sound like it's not so much a beanie baby, it's the certificate of authenticity that comes with the beanie baby, and people are just trading/selling the certificates themselves instead of the thing they're attached to?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

SoldadoDeTone posted:

My college roommate has made nearly $400k off selling his digital art on the NFT markets. Of course, he has reinvested half of that in NFT's, so I expect that he will actually have made $200.001k. Regardless, man is making money.

Fan fact: he was a goon for a week but used the account to promote his YouTube videos and got laughed off. His new work is legitimately good, though. Not $400k good but good.

Everyone knows the secret to being a successful (read: well compensated) artist is finding the right suckers, so congrats to your friend. Is he actually selling the art in any way (rights or anything) or is it just the standard "certificate of authenticity and a link to the artwork" thing?