Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's a digital sticky note. Inside is some JSON that describes the thing you bought and a URL to where you can look at it.

If the image or video or whatever at the included link ever goes away, your NFT points to nothing at all. I guess you could replace it with something else at that URL and goatse a guy who bought grumpy cat.

NFTs can not be traded between different "exchanges"

They're as dumb as you think so they're definitely worth tens f thousands of dollars. Personally if I was an artist I would make a shitload of them to re-sell garbage I made 20 years ago to people who don't understand what they're buying.

https://mashable.com/article/what-is-an-nft-non-fungible-token/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah that's pretty much correct. You don't get any real ownership of the work. You cant start selling prints of art you bought the NFT for since the creative work still belongs to the artist. You can just sell the NFT itself.