Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Liquid Communism posted:

This is evergreen:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkdj79/peoples-expensive-nfts-keep-vanishing-this-is-why

An nft is basically a TinyURL referrer to an image hosted somewhere. If the host takes the image down, you're SOL.

Yeah, I advise a company that has a solution to that. They put a “digital fingerprint” of the actual art into the NFT so if the original URL dies or gets corrupted, any copy of that image can be verified to be the same as the one used to create the NFT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
What you own with an NFT is the token sitting on the blockchain. The art isn't on the blockchain, just a pointer to it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

An example of a NFT-like for a picture of the Mona Lisa

code:
{
    'url': 'https://imgur.com/8lAXuJ4',
    'sold to': 'Samuel Clemens',
    'sold by': 'Foxfire',
    'sold on': '2021-05-10'
}
Save that on a blockchain so that
(A) you trust it's authenticity to a 50%+1 vote of the people doing Etherium math in the future instead of any specific actual person, and
(B) it's hideously inefficient compared to normal digital signature stuff.

I am an advisor to a company that ads a digital signature (hash) into the NFT to allow the image to be verified, in case it is moved or a backup has to be used.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

CrypticFox posted:

But if the NFT still does not confer ownership, what does this accomplish?

It prevents the art from being ‘lost’ if the host goes away (assuming other hosts and local copies) and it enables verification to insure the art is what is was when the NFT was created. I believe they are the only ones doing this.

But yeah, you own a token on the blockchain. The rest? Not part of the deal.

I am involved in the creation of a NFT based on a well known artist’s early digital work. The complexity around this is crazy because there are multiple parties involved.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

mystes posted:

This is pointless because if you don't care about distribution of the art you can already achieve the same thing just by storing a hash, and if you do care about distribution of the art ipfs already does this better for free.

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmbxW7tVLWMZK5oHoq9FTdxBsmJmbv3MnMtqC8FnMJWPa2

This link has all the magic properties you are saying that NFTs have, for free, today, but I guess feel free to give me a million dollars or something if it makes it more exciting for you.

Companies are just trying to shoehorn NFTs into things now to seem cool like they were trying to shoehorn the blockchain into everything a few years ago, but it's completely pointless because it's never the best way to achieve the actual technical goals they're allegedly trying to achieve.

There have been some issues with IPFS and NFT’s. Mainly related to NFT’s badly implemented ...

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

If you've got other hosts and local copies, what is the NFT doing? Those other copies/hosts are already preventing it from being lost.

It's just a certificate. The art isn't in the NFT (as noted). The idea of having the digital signature added is to say "yes, this is the art that was existed when the NFT was minted."

There have been some issues.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1372163423446917122.html

“The NFT token you bought either points to a URL on the internet, or an IPFS hash. In most circumstances it references an IPFS gateway on the internet run by the startup you bought the NFT from.”

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/25/22349242/nft-metadata-explained-art-crypto-urls-links-ipfs

“But there’s one significant gap in the system ensuring that an NFT is held together: NFTs use links to direct you to somewhere else where the art and any details about it are being stored. And as anyone who has browsed the internet before should know, links can and do die. So what happens if your NFT breaks down and points to nothing?”

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/explained/2021/03/nfts-explained-daylight-robbery-on-the-blockchain/

“The references defining the original (art) depend too heavily on URLs that are vulnerable and could vanish at some point.”

Example: The $65m Beeple, sold by Christies. That NFT does point to content on the IPFS, but that IPFS file points to data on an IPFS gateway run by makersplace.com, the company that minted the NFT. If makersplace.com goes away, so does the content of the NFT.

https://twitter.com/scanlime/status/1371509988179464196

“IPFS would prevent the original creator from changing the artwork, but it would not ensure that files remain available. I've already in my very limited search found some NFTs with IPFS resources that are no longer hosted anywhere.”

Use of IPFS does not guarantee that the NFT will be correct. Often an NFT of IPFS will simply be broken. The image won’t be there. Examples from the NiftyGateway Marketplace.”

https://twitter.com/CheckMyNFT/status/1371633090318249984

“5 days & counting that the @IPFS files for @RAC, @3LAU, @ozuna, @Grimezsz, and @troubleandrew NFTs fail to load. New examples below from the @niftygateway marketplace. Spoiler alert, none of the new examples loaded fully on IPFS / Cloudflare. Not even the 2 NFTs created 1 & 2 days ago.”

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

You said that it prevents the art from being lost though. But unless it actually contains a copy of the art (which it doesn't) it can't prevent that at all. Having other copies is what's preventing the art from being lost. The NFT does nothing.

That’s not exactly what I said. What the signature does is allow you to verify that any backups you have are indeed the same thing that existed when the NFT was minted - OR - that the the think the link in the NFT is pointing to is unaltered.

You still need redundant copies in case the link goes south. And as you can see in the above post, even with IPFS there are ways of screwing up.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

What stops people from just making another NFT for the same image that an existing NFT points to? A person who just shelled out thousands of dollars for a cryptographically signed link to hello.jpg would probably want it to be the only one.

It’s happening and it is an issue.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

It literally is though. These are your words:

If you think I've taken them out of context, click through and you'll see that I haven't.

I should have been clearer. A digital signature just means that if you HAVE a backup or copy on a different address, you can at least verify that it is the same art that was used to mint the NFT.

My apologies.

Oh and do look at the examples of how people have messed up even with the IPFS stuff.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Piell posted:

VideoGameVet I get that you want to think your company isn't doing a stupid pointless thing, but unfortunately it is doing a stupid pointless thing. Literally just storing a local copy of the image being pointed to is a far superior solution that requires nothing other than a miniscule amount of storage

Also just right-clicking->save-as is also a superior solution to anything NFTs are trying to do

I’m an advisor, initially on the mobile app because of my experience with Apple’s app approval process.

Getting work in the video game industry is not easy for someone of my age (my first published game shipped on tape). So I have to apply my experience where it can pay off.

But then a coworker from the past got in touch with me and I’m helping to make something he worked on a long time ago pay off for him.

Just sharing what I know.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 13, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Blink twice if they're holding your family hostage.

I had 4 interviews at a casual game company over 3 weeks and didn’t make the final cut.

No consoles for old men.

So yeah, NFT’s.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

HookedOnChthonics posted:

my dude, i hope you take this with all due respect and appreciation for you sharing your perspectives and contributing to this forum, but someone who has held VP-level titles for apparently decades at major corporations has to have gone through some truly extenuating circumstances or made some genuinely terrible life choices for 'work is hard to find' to hold, like, any weight

How I f’ed up moved to my ask tell.

See my thread on the video game stuff. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966191

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 5, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Blink twice if they're holding your family hostage.

The foundation that holds the famous deceased artists rights killed the NFT thing. No problem for me, I closed a publishing deal for a game I designed but I feel bad for my 1980’s co/worker who’s wasted 8 months on this nonsense.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Dragonstoned posted:

DC just gave me a free NFT

How do I sell it to someone that thinks its worth something? it says its "rare" lol

Post it on OpenSea or Rareable.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

A thing that will definitely happen any day now, just you wait and see, no really.

Currently a BTC transaction of any size uses over 7000kwh of energy, enough to power a Tesla from Los Angeles to Portland Maine and back.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Can you cite a source or show the work on this? God I'd love to have this in my back pocket.

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption/

Single Bitcoin Transaction Footprints

1812.22 kWh

My Kia EV gets 3.4 miles per. KWh so that’s 6,162 miles

LA to Portland, ME is 3,094 miles according to Google Maps.

Q.E.D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

That's not much of a defense, because the network is already running at a substantial fraction of its transaction capacity, though. You can't say "well gee the network overhead looks bad on a per-transaction basis but the overhead would stay the same if it processed 10 or 100 or 1000 times as many transactions" because the network is designed such that it can't even handle twice as many transactions let alone 10 or 100 or 1000 times, regardless of overhead.

(A scaleable solution to the transaction capacity limits is also coming any day now for the past 7 years, just like an alternative solution to the energy consumption problem.)

The BTC energy consumption isn't network traffic. It's the miners verifying transactions by the act of mining which is guessing a NEW set of numbers that generate a series of zero when run thru SHA256.

Proof Of Work