Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

DarkHorse posted:

I suggest a doctor and medication then. Lexapro did wonders for my anxiety and making me a semi-functioning human being

Itís a decades long journey, but he is sure as hell medicated. He just has that Gen X attitude of ďI wonít go to the doctorĒ until I make the appointments for him.

kupachek posted:

It's a fairly generic kerosene lighter to me, there are god knows how many variations of the basic type. I used to collect them when I was a kid, buying them and reselling them to folks who wanted something a little fancier. I used to have a some of the fuckoff huge tabletop lighters as well. The self extinguishing ones were preferred by the buyers, but the engraved silver ones always sold the fastest.

Can you take a headon shot of the lion on fasces? it looks like there are a pair of Alisee crosses on the collar, but the photos don't show the detail well.

As for where the regiments were, your current time-frame is napoleonic era (when they were granted the right to wear the sphinx) through to the second world war, which narrows things down a little.
I'd think that comparing the cap bages for detail changes would be a good starting point to narrow it down a little.
They fought in egypt, the peninsula war, and onwards.

worth mentioning is that was likely made post service as a memento.

edit; to be honest, I suspect that the lion crest is Napoleonic itself, between the use of the Fasces (a link to Rome) and the Alisee. So, that really would narrow down your search window/

Iíll grab some more pictures when Iím at my desk.

My grandmother did always make a point to say crests could get slapped on drat near anything, by anyone. Iím mostly curious is itís a Frankenstein or not.

If it works, I may hold onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Captain Log posted:

Iíll grab some more pictures when Iím at my desk.

My grandmother did always make a point to say crests could get slapped on drat near anything, by anyone. Iím mostly curious is itís a Frankenstein or not.

If it works, I may hold onto it.

Yeah, capbadges were commonly slapped onto things as mementos after the fact, as were buttons. A bit of solder and there you go, one custom souvenir to commemorate your time in the ranks. Aslso pretty common for someone to do with a relatives badge after inheriting it.

It is possible that the second crest was one taken as a souveneir, but also possible someone added it because it looked "neat" or "cool".
Considering you have a wick in good condition, and it has a flint installed, it should work just fine, just keep in mind that oil/kerosene lighters give off a little soot and a bit of an odor. As far as I know, it is bird safe, but the smell can bother some people. Just pick up a generic bottle of ronson/zippo fluid for it, and make sure it seals correctly still before you fill it completely. You don't want flammable liquid leaking out onto things.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

Saw the green banner at the top of the page while browsing, asked myself, "damnit, what'd I do to earn a probation now?"

Turns out it's just a system message!

PS: this is not an invitation to slap me with an actual probation, ya dicks.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Saw the green banner at the top of the page while browsing, asked myself, "damnit, what'd I do to earn a probation now?"

Turns out it's just a system message!

PS: this is not an invitation to slap me with an actual probation, ya dicks.

Reported.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

kupachek posted:

Yeah, capbadges were commonly slapped onto things as mementos after the fact, as were buttons. A bit of solder and there you go, one custom souvenir to commemorate your time in the ranks. Aslso pretty common for someone to do with a relatives badge after inheriting it.

It is possible that the second crest was one taken as a souveneir, but also possible someone added it because it looked "neat" or "cool".
Considering you have a wick in good condition, and it has a flint installed, it should work just fine, just keep in mind that oil/kerosene lighters give off a little soot and a bit of an odor. As far as I know, it is bird safe, but the smell can bother some people. Just pick up a generic bottle of ronson/zippo fluid for it, and make sure it seals correctly still before you fill it completely. You don't want flammable liquid leaking out onto things.

Better Pictures Ahoy!

I feel like the Egypt badge was something done after the fact, because an askew crest isn't very British Military.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Dick Burglar posted:

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Captain Log posted:

Better Pictures Ahoy!

I feel like the Egypt badge was something done after the fact, because an askew crest isn't very British Military.

I believe it's askew because it's otherwise too wide to fit. It is however a very different level of quality for the soldering job.

Can you take another of the lion with the collar in focus? It's those two crosses I'm trying to get a better idea of.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Internet Wizard posted:

Hell if you want to use your phone to listen to radio thatís easily doable if youíve got an android device with a $20 usb SDR stick and whatever free SDR app you like you can listen to FM radio, AM radio, police dispatch, whatever you like as long as youíve got the antennas for it.

One of the briefs I used to give to the students my unit taught was to show these infantry officers how I could listen to different military radio systems using commercial equipment.

That's pretty neat; bookmarked, thanks. That said, I'm annoyed that FM chips were disabled early on when data was more scarce, and the chips were just sitting in the phones on international/unlocked versions but US Carriers disabled them; it was just nakedly greedy. Looking at compatibility lists though they seem to have let up on that in more recent years, and whether the FM chip is included or not relies more on if the manufacturer can fit it in the current crammed phone designs (or if they have an headphone port, since on-board FM chips on most phones use wired headphones as antennas afaik).

I just wonder if FM radio would have become more of a popular thing on phones in the states if they weren't hampered early on by providers? Particularly AT&T?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Captain Log, I shared the pics with a friend of mine in the UK whoís a giant history buff, Iíll post here if he knows what that is.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

kupachek posted:

I believe it's askew because it's otherwise too wide to fit. It is however a very different level of quality for the soldering job.

Can you take another of the lion with the collar in focus? It's those two crosses I'm trying to get a better idea of.

You got it -

What did you notice about the soldering job? I literally know nothing about that.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Captain Log, I shared the pics with a friend of mine in the UK who’s a giant history buff, I’ll post here if he knows what that is.

Awesome and thanks! It's a little mystery that is making me appreciate my Grandmother's knowledge even more. Silver isn't hard once you know how it works. With enough patience and a tiny bit of know how, you can crack most hallmarks with the internet.

Seeing as how silver from the Mauretania and a piece of the HMS Victory turned up in my uncle's things, I think it's worth running down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Log, this may be of interest:

quote:

not sure about the lion crest, but a sphinx at rest with the word "egypt" underneath is a symbol used in the helmet crest and collar badges of the 24th regiment of foot.

After the Zulu wars at some point in the 1880s they became the South Wales Borderers and are now The Royal Welsh.

I've no idea about lighters but it may have a link to the regiment.

You could speak to the regimental museum in Brecon South Wales and see if they have any ideas.

E:He also gave me a link to the museum:

https://royalwelsh.org.uk/?fbclid=IwAR2z67ZppIZjHgHW6UE2j1Jm4A__k7ARimBVeQ5MBEGXs-OwQDfvLw24E3o

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 30, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

That is absolutely superb! Thank you kindly!

Time to see if Kupachek finds anything on the other crest.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Captain Log posted:

That is absolutely superb! Thank you kindly!

Time to see if Kupachek finds anything on the other crest.

Not to diminish Ugly In The Morning's contribution, but the Sphinx was used by several regiments. However so far The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment is the only one I've seen where they made use of a calligraphic script. (but I have not yet had time to look at sets of photos from all of them. The observation is subject to change.)
Before I went to bed I checked one of my Regimental books (from 1901) and there were thirty different Regiments granted the Sphinx listed in it.
The darn lion is so different than any Ive seen though, I'm fairly sure I've never seen it prior, and it's got me a mite bit puzzled.

At the moment though I'm charting safeties, so looking at regimental badges is on my todo list for later this evening.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

And this is exactly why Militaria can quickly become a quagmire. You're dealing with hundreds of years of pretty unstandardized crests. Yet some people seem to be able to do it from memory.

I'm thankful for the help, because I'd surely thrown up my hands in defeat by this point.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Not sure why this was in my YouTube recs, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAvqDF3Wujc

The aftermath:

https://twitter.com/abramjee/status/1388195293565489156

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Captain Log posted:

And this is exactly why Militaria can quickly become a quagmire. You're dealing with hundreds of years of pretty unstandardized crests. Yet some people seem to be able to do it from memory.

I'm thankful for the help, because I'd surely thrown up my hands in defeat by this point.

It certainly helps when the crests are intact. Regardless of which unit your Sphinx original was a badge for, its missing the lower half with the unit name.

Trust me, it gets worse with other items. For the past few weeks I've been trying to chart the progression of some regional safety catches on percussion rifles that were converted from flintlocks, so that means grouping them by arm/suspected arm, lock type, and then from there breaking down variations like the hammer, and then of course, differences in the safety.
I had a lovely color photo before of one such catch, but it looked to me like there was threading and wear marks on a spur but I wasn't willing to commit to that being the case until just this morning when a book I ordered arrived (which turned out to be a signed copy of the first edition from 1978) from Germany and contained within was a pair of black and white photographs of the same pattern safety but with the screwed in knob still present (which also shifted the timeframe I had for when they started appearing). Also present in this book are several more regional safeties I hadn't yet seen examples of from the period, including a really neat sliding safety.
The second book that arrived however was damaged, it looks like it ended up in a puddle in a sorting bin between Germany and here and was torn open, swollen to twice its sized, and has mold/mildew growing already. A postal worker put it in a plastic bag printed with an apology for it being damaged.

Captain Log, I shared the pics with a friend of mine in the UK who’s a giant history buff, I’ll post here if he knows what that is.

If your friend doesn't have the 1901 book on Regimental Records, and I can toss it your way to pass on. Nothing special, just lists stuff like the names, illustrations of the crests, and lists battle honors for various campaigns.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

That is way less bad than I was expecting. Apparently this is pretty common and the thieves are using explosives to blow the trucks open. Someone said this one was carrying cellphones.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Captain Log posted:

You got it -

What did you notice about the soldering job? I literally know nothing about that.

Awesome and thanks! It's a little mystery that is making me appreciate my Grandmother's knowledge even more. Silver isn't hard once you know how it works. With enough patience and a tiny bit of know how, you can crack most hallmarks with the internet.

Seeing as how silver from the Mauretania and a piece of the HMS Victory turned up in my uncle's things, I think it's worth running down.

Is it possible that the crest is not British?

Because the fasces and axe looks A LOT like the fasces and axe on the French national emblem.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I Demand Food posted:

Is it possible that the crest is not British?

Because the fasces and axe looks A LOT like the fasces and axe on the French national emblem.

Possible? Sure. But my grandmother normally didn't purchase anything that wasn't British. Her entire business was exclusively British antiques.

But if it turns out to be something not British, it might explain why it became a gift to my uncle.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

I was given a bottle of Turkey today. Is good day.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Wild, or fricassee?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That reminds me of 30 Rock.

"Your milk comes in bags. Bags!"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Any TFR goons have any use for a free gold membership with Hilton? My work travel has me hitting Diamond with them next week and that means I can give someone the gold tier for free. No one I know IRL has any use for it so I figure Iíd poke my head in here.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

tarlibone posted:

That reminds me of 30 Rock.

"Your milk comes in bags. Bags!"

I dunno why Americans get so upset and bewildered by milk in bags. I mean, what do you think udders are?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

High 5. I was given a ruger 22/45 today!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

High 22/4-5!!!!!

Even in the most bone-stock configuration, that's a fun gun.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Any TFR goons have any use for a free gold membership with Hilton? My work travel has me hitting Diamond with them next week and that means I can give someone the gold tier for free. No one I know IRL has any use for it so I figure Iíd poke my head in here.

That is quite generous of you. You might get better visibility if you cross-post it in the deals thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2914751

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

tarlibone posted:

High 22/4-5!!!!!

Even in the most bone-stock configuration, that's a fun gun.

Yep, I've shot it a couple times, it's a blast. It sucks cleaning it but oh well. Free gun day is always a good day!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sucks cleaning it? Is it not a Mark IV?

Mark IV's are so easy to clean that sometimes I do it between range trips, just for shoots and giggles.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Sucks cleaning it? Is it not a Mark IV?

Mark IV's are so easy to clean that sometimes I do it between range trips, just for shoots and giggles.

....when do you clean your other guns?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

stealie72 posted:

Wild, or fricassee?

Wild. I made myself a nice couple Irish coffees.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Noice. It'd be great to get back into shooting. Oh well. Maybe after I put tires on the car.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

....when do you clean your other guns?

Right after a range trip.

What I meant was, the 22/45 Mark IV is so easy to clean that when I shoot it, I clean it after that trip, then before the next trip, sometimes I clean it just for fun. Then it's up for a few more cleanings before the next range trip.

But to be fair... I clean my revolvers a lot.

I'm a weird gun guy. I like fiddly guns. That's why I hate Glocks, tolerate 1911s, and love revolvers. The more fiddling, the better. And cleaning is the ultimate expression of fiddling.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

People clean guns between range trips?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Captain Log posted:

People clean guns between range trips?

If you shoot black powder, you'd better.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I havenít cleaned most of my guns in years

ScrubbingBubbles
Feb 11, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

I havenít cleaned most of my guns in years
YUUUUP Same

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I should clean mine, but they're oiled and chilling in a cabinet with silica packets and it isn't like I ever put them away without cleaning.

I just miss it. It's chill to take apart some mechanical stuff and idly fiddle around with it while watching a show or something.

I didn't actually know a drat thing about mechanics or how things like gas systems worked until I started taking guns apart and putting them back together again. Probably a good thing my first rifle wasn't a Ross.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

With ammo availability being what it is I never get to shoot the things so I clean them just so I have something to do with them sometimes. I love fiddly mechanical stuff. It would just be nice if I ever had the chance to get them dirty.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I just miss it. It's chill to take apart some mechanical stuff and idly fiddle around with it while watching a show or something.

Honestly? This is exactly why I enjoy building master grade gundam kits. It brings me a sense of peace to be following very exact instructions and putting together a series of meticulously engineered and fitted parts.

It helps that the actual skill level demanded is pretty low- you donít even use glue- so it isnít all that demanding, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

If it's not claimed in a day or two, I'll take it! I'm doing way more traveling on my own dime now.