Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Log, if it helps, at least in Texas each provider had their own portal. I found my vaccine via CVS using their website. Other places I checked were my city and county health departments, Walgreens, local hospital system and HEB (grocery store with pharmacies). You are absolutely eligible in most of Oregon, and the overwhelming response from health care providers is that they don't care what your underlying condition is, they just want people to get the shot. Do what you need to, I was checking multiple sites every couple hours and found one within about a day and a half.

Good luck dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

At least in my state, how good the county is at helping you get scheduled is highly variable. My county (a tiny rural county) does a clinic with phone scheduling, it seems to be working fine for them. My buddy lives one county over in a major city, and he was lamenting at not being able to find any appointments via the county website. They had linked to a few clinics, but they were all booked. He was presuming that was the only way to schedule them.

I found him an appointment in under 5 minutes using the Kroger website. The county’s website didn’t even say “check with Kroger”.

So figure out who’s doing vaccinations besides the local govt and schedule directly with them. Oregon was listed as an option on the Kroger site. I did a quick check with “Portland” as my location and found a few appointments available on the 13th. Check daily, I know in my state Kroger’s availability changes daily.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

LordOfThePants posted:

At least in my state, how good the county is at helping you get scheduled is highly variable. My county (a tiny rural county) does a clinic with phone scheduling, it seems to be working fine for them. My buddy lives one county over in a major city, and he was lamenting at not being able to find any appointments via the county website. They had linked to a few clinics, but they were all booked. He was presuming that was the only way to schedule them.

I found him an appointment in under 5 minutes using the Kroger website. The county’s website didn’t even say “check with Kroger”.

So figure out who’s doing vaccinations besides the local govt and schedule directly with them. Oregon was listed as an option on the Kroger site. I did a quick check with “Portland” as my location and found a few appointments available on the 13th. Check daily, I know in my state Kroger’s availability changes daily.

I was having to check Kroger, Walgreens, CVS, Giant, and Harris Teeter using multiple zip codes every hour or so over the span three days to find an appointment for my wife. This was in addition to her being on the county wait list.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

This is pretty neat but I really drives home how large a percentage of FNM's greatness is Mike Patton's otherworldly excellent voice.

His voice is a huge part of their sound, no doubt, and it really shows when people cover the songs. But, my favorite thing about the band is the rhythm section--drums, bass, and keys. I read Small Victories, a pretty detailed biography of the band, and that core has been there since the beginning--they are the band, really. It's a pretty good read.

Billy Gould is one of the guys who made me want to play bass, and I love that he's a different bass player on different tracks. Plays with a pick when needed, plays with his fingers sometimes, he can slap and pop, etc.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

In less than 24 hours, Duluth got back to me. They're sending an immediate replacement and a return label for the defective shoes at no cost. So the shoe might've hosed up, but at least the customer service is good.

The thing that bugs me about the stupid shoes is that they were really good. Comfortable. Rugged. And at 80 dollars ( on sale, 100-120 reg. ), they were a great compromise between 'lovely, affordable shoe' and 'higher end shoe'. Which is what you want when your job involves loving solvents.

I'd have rather they just went 'yeah we're gonna have to raise the price by five or ten dollars a shoe to maintain build quality'. FINE. You're already a premium brand! I'm PAYING for that. It's why I LIKE your clothes. They're comfortable, durable, well-designed, reasonably priced. I'd rather one pair of 18 dollar boxers from Duluth than a pack of Hanes.

Hopefully it's just their footwear they've decided to gently caress up. I looked at the reviews afterward, and along with a fair number of 'shoe good' reviews, there were plenty of 'yeah these ain't the old ones they hosed them up' reviews.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Shower thoughts. There is a difference between impolite and rude. Cutting your fingernails in public is impolite, cutting your toenails in public is rude.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

My coffee maker has decided to Krupp-out on me. What's y'all using these days?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Dang dicknose don't tuck that money under your eyelids!

Pillbug

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

French press if I’m feeling like effort.

I run the tap til the water is steaming and dump in instant if I’m not.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ugly In The Morning posted:

French press if I’m feeling like effort.

I run the tap til the water is steaming and dump in instant if I’m not.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Cafe Bustelo instant expresso, so hot water and a cup. The lids on Cafe Bustelo have a rim that runs down into the container so you can use it as a measuring cup without gumming up the threads.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've been using a single cup pour over for the last few years. I've now prefer it over a french press.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Recently I started finding coffee creamer that tastes like Colombian coffee which makes me not feel as bad when I can't use the good poo poo so now I don't mind non-Colombia swill as much.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Just putting this out there: there is an animal rescue farm in Tuscany that fell into such dire straits that there is only one full-time person to take care of 400 animals. They're desperately trying to take care of and re-home the animals before the state comes in and confiscates them. They're mostly edible animals, so you can guess what'll happen there. Alternately, any Europeans want goats, sheep, cows, or horses?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Last week, we made a late-night run to Walmart because our old coffee pot's carafe broke, and we couldn't get a new one by the morning. We got a Mr. Coffee model. We go through about 8 "cups" a day between us, and I liked this model because the clock and stuff are LED instead of impossible-to-see LCD.

It's the Mr. Coffee Model 2132993, a 12-cup, programmable coffee maker with an LED touch display. It's both black and stainless.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

Last week, we made a late-night run to Walmart because our old coffee pot's carafe broke, and we couldn't get a new one by the morning. We got a Mr. Coffee model. We go through about 8 "cups" a day between us, and I liked this model because the clock and stuff are LED instead of impossible-to-see LCD.

It's the Mr. Coffee Model 2132993, a 12-cup, programmable coffee maker with an LED touch display. It's both black and stainless.

Holy Hell. Four 8oz. cups is the max recommended for an adult, last I checked.

Didn't stop one of my customers. Myself and a few other customers figured he drank half a carafe at the depot and one 128oz. canteen strapped to the dash of his truck a day. We always told him to start earlier.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

Holy Hell. Four 8oz. cups is the max recommended for an adult, last I checked.

Didn't stop one of my customers. Myself and a few other customers figured he drank half a carafe at the depot and one 128oz. canteen strapped to the dash of his truck a day. We always told him to start earlier.

oh, no, not 8-oz cups. That's why I put "cups" in quotation marks. Those numbers on the side of a carafe are 5-ounce servings, which is what they consider a "cup." So, she and I have just under 4 of those per day. That's a 20-ounce tumbler full of coffee, not a quart.

And, I had measured that a thousand times before, never coming up with the same conversion twice because carafes are marked pretty poorly. There is little QC in that regard. This coffee maker's instructions actually stated the 5-ounce figure, and that was close to what I thought it was. Suddenly, it made sense. Well... everything except why they think 5 ounces is a cup.

OF COURSE WE DO, SIR!!!!!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I've been doing like 50oz of coffee daily for five years, I just drink it throughout the day especially since vacuum cups keep that poo poo warm for hours.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Oh... and look what just arrived!

I don't think I'm going to have to go back to the gym if I just put 30 rounds through this baby a day.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

You can tell I'm not an addict because I'm not pouring it into the space between my eye and eyelid yet.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

Oh... and look what just arrived!

I don't think I'm going to have to go back to the gym if I just put 30 rounds through this baby a day.

Ah, good. Why I said it chews up your hands? Assuming you are right handed, you want a glove on the other one to cock it. The sight rail is a sharp and cruel mistress. Use whatever pellet you want, just pick one. The rear sight will drift, so find what works and loktite or jamb a piece of paper underneath it. Other than that, the thing is a high-grade club pistol for a fraction of the price. Quarter scale field targets at 7-12 yards is totally doable and it has enough power to spin them with a good hit.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I watched video on how that thing operates and I'm just gonna put this out here as what I'd do immediately after using it like twice normally: drill some holes at the back of the slide and fit it with paracord or something to give you cocking leverage, like how I fit my Makarov with paracord to give it a magazine release.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

Ah, good. Why I said it chews up your hands? Assuming you are right handed, you want a glove on the other one to cock it. The sight rail is a sharp and cruel mistress. Use whatever pellet you want, just pick one. The rear sight will drift, so find what works and loktite or jamb a piece of paper underneath it. Other than that, the thing is a high-grade club pistol for a fraction of the price. Quarter scale field targets at 7-12 yards is totally doable and it has enough power to spin them with a good hit.

Funny you mention this.

I took this thing outside, grabbed some pellets (I use Crosman wadcutters because they make nicer holes and I'm not a hunter), and sent 5 shots downrange. Adjusted the sights, 5 more. Five more for fun. And then I noticed that on the last one, my hand felt a little sore. I have two straight-line scratches. Not really cuts, just really deep, straight scratches. I was going to post in here that I'll need some gloves for this thing, at least for my left hand. Glad to see I'm not just a wussy. That dovetail ain't messin' around.

The lack of recoil, or a hard wall on the sear, is pretty freakin' amazing on this thing. The trigger reminds me a lot of my 22/45 trigger. You can tell this is designed for target shooting. It's not the nicest in the world I'm sure, but at this price point, I'm expecting Daisy clunkiness, not something that feels almost professional.

Thanks for the advice about the rear sights. If I go the Loktite route, how/where should I apply it? Drive the sight out and just put a dab down in the dovetail?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

I've been doing like 50oz of coffee daily for five years, I just drink it throughout the day especially since vacuum cups keep that poo poo warm for hours.

My highschool physics teacher used to start every class like this. "Questions, comments, screams of outrage, moral or immoral indignations" and then we'd spend the whole class just asking his how poo poo worked.

One year he suffered a heart attack, and he was out for a few months and we had a stupid sub who made us do book work. It sucked. Anyway, his first day back, he comes walking in with a coffee cup that had to be a gallon. It is full, TO THE BRIM, with black coffee. This mother fucker had to walk from the teacher lounge to his classroom which was up a flight of stairs hauling around 8 pounds of coffee without dribbling any.

So he does his bit, my hand shoots up, and he points at me. I asked, "What's up with the giant coffee cup?"

"Well, as you all know I had a heart attack. My doctor told me that I am limited to one cup of coffee per day. This is my cup. This is why units are important."

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Do you ever have a hang nail suddenly get ungodly infected?

Wait, I didn't phrase that right. It's not that badly infected. It just happens to be in that spot where I can feel my heartbeat in my thumb.

Sweet gently caress this is...acute.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Wait, I didn't phrase that right. It's not that badly infected. It just happens to be in that spot where I can feel my heartbeat in my thumb.

I think you mean, "a cuticle."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Mix hydrogen peroxide with iodine until it’s like... pee colored, slice it open and stick your thumb in there for ten minutes, three times a day. Keep covered outside that. We used to deal with that kind of thing all the time at the urgent care.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Mix hydrogen peroxide with iodine until it’s like... pee colored, slice it open and stick your thumb in there for ten minutes, three times a day. Keep covered outside that. We used to deal with that kind of thing all the time at the urgent care.

Thanks to my year working for a University nurse practitioner, I've known to do that. It's still amazing how much is smarts, especially when it isn't even close to inflamed and nasty. It's barely even red, but it feels like my thumb got cut off.

But this is a very 21st century problem - The bandage covers my phone poking thumb.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

When I was a kid having to wear shoes that didn't fit caused my big toes to always have recurring ingrown nails that just sliced through the skin and usually caused some pretty gnarly infections, what I'd do is pry the nail up and out of there with like a knife as needed and manually remove the infected flesh via home surgery. Honestly you can deal with juicy infected skin with your nails, it's not that hard to get through but man it stings. A few times I was taken in to have them cut away but they always came back, I learned to use scissors by watching them do it and started doing that on my own every couple months, just gotta get the scissors in there, cut, and pull hard with some hemostatic pliers. Burns like a fucker but relief is immediate.

Eventually when I was like idk 23 or something I had enough money to get that chemically fixed by a foot doctor burning away the nail-spawners with acid on bamboo sticks. And that's what it's like to grow up poor and without healthcare lol

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Shima Honnou posted:

When I was a kid having to wear shoes that didn't fit caused my big toes to always have recurring ingrown nails that just sliced through the skin and usually caused some pretty gnarly infections, what I'd do is pry the nail up and out of there with like a knife as needed and manually remove the infected flesh via home surgery. Honestly you can deal with juicy infected skin with your nails, it's not that hard to get through but man it stings. A few times I was taken in to have them cut away but they always came back, I learned to use scissors by watching them do it and started doing that on my own every couple months, just gotta get the scissors in there, cut, and pull hard with some hemostatic pliers. Burns like a fucker but relief is immediate.

Eventually when I was like idk 23 or something I had enough money to get that chemically fixed by a foot doctor burning away the nail-spawners with acid on bamboo sticks. And that's what it's like to grow up poor and without healthcare lol

Oh hey what's up, same hat!

Mine were so mangled and inflamed that the doc couldn't inject the anesthetic so welp time to feel everything going on as the root matrix is cut and burned out

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shima Honnou posted:

Sweet Baby Jesus, that sounds gnarly. America!

Oooh, gross home surgery stories!

The most visibly hosed part of me is my feet. The nerve damage has caused noticeable atrophy in my size thirteen, but already skinny heeled feet. This means I don't have padding between my skin and foot bones anymore, which causes horrible calluses that start to feel like broken glass.

The doctor can take care of them, but it takes a month or two to get in. This leaves me in constant pain with every step.

Thanks to Amazon, I bought one hundred Ten Blades and a scalpel handle. Using a headlamp, scalpel, and a steady hand I've learned how to "skin" the soles of my feet. It works! I honestly feel like I could peel the skin off a grape with a scalpel now.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Got my first COVID shot this afternoon. Not feeling any different so far.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Look, I love all things silver. It's what got my grandmother started in the antique business. I also love anyone with the gumption to become a skilled jeweler or craftsperson of any sort.

But....this guy....he is advertising a whole hell of a lot.

https://silverstatefoundry.com

Let me start out by saying this - The guy has a reputation of being an absolute pleasure to work with and incredibly customer service oriented. His prices are high but his work looks well done.

Why am I bringing him up?

He is making a business out of taking very collectible, rare coins and stamping them into rings. Which is destroying them. I'm specifically talking about Morgan Silver Dollars.

Despite their reputation, those were not hugely successful as American coinage. They were not minted in gigantic numbers and even clapped out lovely ones can get double their silver melt in value. The collector community for Morgan Silver Dollars is huge. They are only getting harder and harder to find.

Then you have this guy, destroying them en masse, to make loving rings that then sell for $299 and up. There is a lot of common mintage, American coinage that nobody would give a poo poo about being turned into coins. Why, WHY is he doing this to Morgan's?

What's the firearms equivalent of this? Mitchell's Mausers?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Closer to nerds turning original C96s into replica DL44s maybe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Somebody Awful posted:

Got my first COVID shot this afternoon. Not feeling any different so far.

If you didn’t have the virus before the first dose is usually pretty easy. Which one did you get?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Pfizer. Back for round two in a month or so!

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Captain Log posted:

Look, I love all things silver. It's what got my grandmother started in the antique business. I also love anyone with the gumption to become a skilled jeweler or craftsperson of any sort.

But....this guy....he is advertising a whole hell of a lot.

https://silverstatefoundry.com

Let me start out by saying this - The guy has a reputation of being an absolute pleasure to work with and incredibly customer service oriented. His prices are high but his work looks well done.

Why am I bringing him up?

He is making a business out of taking very collectible, rare coins and stamping them into rings. Which is destroying them. I'm specifically talking about Morgan Silver Dollars.

Despite their reputation, those were not hugely successful as American coinage. They were not minted in gigantic numbers and even clapped out lovely ones can get double their silver melt in value. The collector community for Morgan Silver Dollars is huge. They are only getting harder and harder to find.

Then you have this guy, destroying them en masse, to make loving rings that then sell for $299 and up. There is a lot of common mintage, American coinage that nobody would give a poo poo about being turned into coins. Why, WHY is he doing this to Morgan's?

So, you're telling me I should start panic-buying Morgans, further driving up their price?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

You aren't truly American until you've performed at least one "I should probably go to the doctor but," operation on yourself.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

So, you're telling me I should start panic-buying Morgans, further driving up their price?

Wait...no!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You aren't truly American until you've performed at least one "I should probably go to the doctor but," operation on yourself.

I used a best buddies grandfather’s dental instruments on my braces multiple times. That would always freak people out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Captain Log posted:

I remember a company back in the 90s that was buying up milsurp rifles overseas, doing the receiver welds to make them "not a gun anymore", and then wiring them up to be floor lamps.