Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Captain Log posted:

Jesus Christ, I hope it doesn't stay up forever. Otherwise going to the range is going to be even worse for people on limited income. That's bad for the entire hobby.

For many, this is intentional. An admiral goal worth pursuing.

Saw some .38 Special listed on AmmoSeek for $1.20 a shot. Not even fancy stuff, bog standard Prvi FMJ.

Tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Capn Beeb posted:

For many, this is intentional. An admiral goal worth pursuing.

Saw some .38 Special listed on AmmoSeek for $1.20 a shot. Not even fancy stuff, bog standard Prvi FMJ.

Tired.

Isn't this just owing to the market for certain metals going up, in addition to the Forever War, a few skirmishes going on between various countries, and general instability driving sales in the US market?

Edit: What do the savings factor out to be on reloading anyways? I'm not talking the cost of the rig itself. I'm talking, say, comparing similar rounds bought vs rolled, not factoring the value of time saved by not having to do it yourself, etc.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Covid Talk - Skip if you ain't feeling it

A major talking point from the anti-lockdown folks has been a nebulous claim that "Deaths of Despair" are skyrocketing, accompanied by wild claims about massive spikes in suicide.

Here is a graph debunking that claim. Just thought it was good information for people dealing with friends and family spreading bunk info about lockdown suicide.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Isn't this just owing to the market for certain metals going up, in addition to the Forever War, a few skirmishes going on between various countries, and general instability driving sales in the US market?

Edit: What do the savings factor out to be on reloading anyways? I'm not talking the cost of the rig itself. I'm talking, say, comparing similar rounds bought vs rolled, not factoring the value of time saved by not having to do it yourself, etc.

Dunno, none of the components in my recipe are in stock, so welp.

The state opens vaccinations to all in two weeks.

We're governed by a person who likes to tout what an educated Medical Professional he is.

My county has a 17% vaccination rate.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Capn Beeb posted:

Dunno, none of the components in my recipe are in stock, so welp.

The state opens vaccinations to all in two weeks.

We're governed by a person who likes to tout what an educated Medical Professional he is.

My county has a 17% vaccination rate.

On the plus side, an article I read last night puts the 65+ (I think that was the cut off) vaccination rate at 75%, if you count people who've received their first dose.

On the negative side, the variant that's crushing Europe right now is far worse for younger people. Hospitalization rates are spiking for people between 30-40 year age range over there and children are getting sicker when infected. One of the saving graces of this clusterfuck so far has been the relative safety of younger children when dealing with the virus. I think school is incredibly important and needs to safely get back in session ASAP. But if kids start landing in hospitals...welp.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Captain Log posted:

Covid Talk - Skip if you ain't feeling it

A major talking point from the anti-lockdown folks has been a nebulous claim that "Deaths of Despair" are skyrocketing, accompanied by wild claims about massive spikes in suicide.

Here is a graph debunking that claim. Just thought it was good information for people dealing with friends and family spreading bunk info about lockdown suicide.

The data we are seeing in Canada suggests that the death rate from suicide is down substantially compared to pre-COVID numbers (I suspect in part because people locked down with their families find it hard to find the alone time for a suicide attempt) but this does not mean that there are not warning signs of a burgeoning mental health crisis alongside the pandemic. We're past a year of school aged kids cooped up with their abusers and a lot of people are grieving the loss of family members, friends, friendships, milestones and a shitload of other things.

The counselling service I work for has seen exponential growth over the past year, to the point that we've trebled the number of active counsellors we have to over 150.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fearless posted:

The data we are seeing in Canada suggests that the death rate from suicide is down substantially compared to pre-COVID numbers (I suspect in part because people locked down with their families find it hard to find the alone time for a suicide attempt) but this does not mean that there are not warning signs of a burgeoning mental health crisis alongside the pandemic. We're past a year of school aged kids cooped up with their abusers and a lot of people are grieving the loss of family members, friends, friendships, milestones and a shitload of other things.

The counselling service I work for has seen exponential growth over the past year, to the point that we've trebled the number of active counsellors we have to over 150.

Considering how bad 9/11 hosed the collective consciousness of the USA, with 3k killed, I'm sure mental fallout from Covid will be dealt with by our grandchildren. Most people aren't built for being under house arrest, while poor, with kids, and the looming threat of a nasty death in the air.

But I've had more than one person say, "SUICIDES are killing more people than COVID!" in no uncertain terms. I like having a researched graph to hurl at those folks, even if it is immediately hand waved as fake news.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

Captain Log posted:

even if it is immediately hand waved as fake news.

And this is why Iíll tell you itís good to have seen the data for your own personal information, but there is zero point in engaging with those people.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Just a wild guess but I find not having to drag my rear end out of the house to go somewhere I hate to waste my day with people I hate doing something I hate has had an overall positive effect on me.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Considering how bad 9/11 hosed the collective consciousness of the USA, with 3k killed, I'm sure mental fallout from Covid will be dealt with by our grandchildren. Most people aren't built for being under house arrest, while poor, with kids, and the looming threat of a nasty death in the air.

But I've had more than one person say, "SUICIDES are killing more people than COVID!" in no uncertain terms. I like having a researched graph to hurl at those folks, even if it is immediately hand waved as fake news.

Yeah, lot of that going around. Especially with regard to suicides, and how they're easily preventable.

I genuinely feel things are going to get worse, and Covid was just an opening act. And we'll be back to the same empty promises and hollow platitudes and empty gestures by the ruling classes who are quietly cheering on the demise of the commoner.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I don't think that COVID will have that great of an obvious cultural impact because the structures in place don't really have much to gain by blaming it on anyone directly, and because it's a frog in a pot. And the symptoms are kind of 'well you get the flu and die'. Pair that with the fact that epidemics aren't really a thing 'first world' countries typically have in their collective consciousness, and they don't really care.

In fact, it's really much better for everyone ( up the chain ) that it's kind of ignored, or downplayed. And to be honest, the reporting on it? Has sucked. The government's reaction? Has sucked. You'd think that something on track to rack up a million deaths in the US alone would have resulted in, I dunno. More? But most people don't seem to give a poo poo, day to day. A lot of them won't even wear a loving mask.

The people who are and will be most impacted by COVID and its fallout aren't really people with the biggest voices in media. The prisoners. The homeless. The poor. The disenfranchised.

We'll probably get some really lovely dramas out of it a few years from now tho. Like The Blind Side but with COVID somehow

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Found 12 gauge ammo at Dickís for the first time in months.

For 8 dollars a round.

Could load up my DP-12 once for 128 bucks at those prices.

Crap, there's a gun show coming up soon. I could sell my remaining stock of Wolf buck shot and pay for the tables.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I don't think that COVID will have that great of an obvious cultural impact because the structures in place don't really have much to gain by blaming it on anyone directly, and because it's a frog in a pot. And the symptoms are kind of 'well you get the flu and die'. Pair that with the fact that epidemics aren't really a thing 'first world' countries typically have in their collective consciousness, and they don't really care.

In fact, it's really much better for everyone ( up the chain ) that it's kind of ignored, or downplayed. And to be honest, the reporting on it? Has sucked. The government's reaction? Has sucked. You'd think that something on track to rack up a million deaths in the US alone would have resulted in, I dunno. More? But most people don't seem to give a poo poo, day to day. A lot of them won't even wear a loving mask.

The people who are and will be most impacted by COVID and its fallout aren't really people with the biggest voices in media. The prisoners. The homeless. The poor. The disenfranchised.

We'll probably get some really lovely dramas out of it a few years from now tho. Like The Blind Side but with COVID somehow

I think the whole not caring angle isn't even limited to the upper echelon of society. My dad went to the hospital with a UTI and sepsis April 1. Was scheduled to be discharged to a rehab center, but they didn't have any beds. They got some space over the weekend, but he came back today.

Because he refused a covid test to gain admission.

He's the only person in the house vaccinated.

I'm doing well.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Because he refused a covid test to gain admission.

I would love to be sympathetic, but why exactly did he refuse a test in the middle of a global pandemic?

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

I would love to be sympathetic, but why exactly did he refuse a test in the middle of a global pandemic?

Because right wing journalism broke his brain years ago.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm honestly sorry to hear that, man. Relationships with parents are complicated.

I had this reply open for like 10 minutes, trying to expound on the above, but I don't think I can say it any better.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

I'm honestly sorry to hear that, man. Relationships with parents are complicated.

I had this reply open for like 10 minutes, trying to expound on the above, but I don't think I can say it any better.

Thanks. I came to terms with it long ago, I think what stings the most is he will just willfully throw away or refuse health care when it's just given to him readily and freely, whereas I've had to claw and bite and fight for the care I'm receiving now.

Him and so many others so casually discards what my friends and I would kill for, and have died trying to get.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My dumb family just had a large gathering for Easter, attended by people that had tested positive for COVID-19 just days earlier.

"Better get tested before I go."
*Tests positive*
"Well, I'm sure that only testing positive once doesn't mean anything."

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Capn Beeb posted:

I haven't returned to Nashville since I left with a suitcase after getting robbed, so I've missed the worst of it from my family. But I know they're not taking it seriously. Even better, every single person on my Mom's side of the family is either -

- Morbidly Obese

or

- Has asthma so bad they need at home breathing treatments

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Dip Viscous posted:

My dumb family just had a large gathering for Easter, attended by people that had tested positive for COVID-19 just days earlier.

"Better get tested before I go."
*Tests positive*
"Well, I'm sure that only testing positive once doesn't mean anything."

Thankfully I've always been anti-social so I avoid people like plague already but if I weren't I would have become that way regardless.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Stupid Gonzaga cost me a $200 win in my bracket pool

At least they had the decency to never even be in the game so I didn't have to stay up and watch the whole thing

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

My sympathies. I feel very lucky that my dad didn't fall into that latrine-sized hole in the world carved out by the ghoul Rupert and his cohorts.

I offer a picture of my cats, who fell asleep holding hands:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Eeeeeeee

I wish my cats made a cuddle pile they at least will occasionally cuddle us though.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Thankfully I've always been anti-social so I avoid people like plague already but if I weren't I would have become that way regardless.

You and me both. It is somehow comforting that I know you are so far away.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I'm looking at jobs right now and I swear if I had my vaccine I'd take the job as a cave tour guide. Going down into a hole would be preferable to working in a grocery store one more day and if a tour group made me mad I could just lead them to their deaths

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

As someone that climbs frozen waterfalls for fun, gently caress caves. poo poo's creepy.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Just got my first Moderna shot, currently under observation in case of adverse reaction to the 5G nanobots

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Akion posted:

As someone that climbs frozen waterfalls for fun, gently caress caves. poo poo's creepy.

It's nice. Peaceful. Cool. Especially if you wander over to the edge of the lights, after the tour group has moved on, and just chill. Just you and your tinnitus, relaxing in the not-dark.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

Akion posted:

I don't mind wide-open caves (they can be peaceful, as Nerdy noted above), but gently caress tight caverns. The idea of getting stuck in some tight crevice or passage with potentially zero way of escape or rescue is absolutely terrifying. And the idea that cave divers do that poo poo, with limited light and especially limited oxygen, is just... no. Absolutely no.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 6, 2021

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dick Burglar posted:

I don't mind wide-open caves, but gently caress tight caverns. The idea of getting stuck in some tight crevice with basically zero way of escape or rescue is absolutely terrifying.

This. There was an SAS dude who, in his autobiography, described working in coal mines in England when he was growing up, and some of the poo poo he talked about still haunts me.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I'm not claustrophobic but I stay the gently caress out of caves.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Akion posted:

Sorry, what. That sounds badass!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Somebody Awful posted:

I'm not claustrophobic but I stay the gently caress out of caves.

They're less likely to collapse than most of our infrastructure and all of the new houses built these days. The tour caves, anyways. If you Poohbear into rando caves welp

Caves are pretty neat ecosystems but also there's a lot of ways to get hosed up in there. Just go to a nice, clean cave, and look at all the pretty minerals and poo poo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Well, that was an interesting morning.

This is relevant - I normally sleep from about 3:00 am to 10:00 am PST. Last night, I had a nasty night terror and woke up in drenched sheets. I had to wake up, strip my bed, and shove poo poo in the wash. Because of this, I overslept my 10:00am normal wake up by an hour.

My father gets up about 8:00am and does errands early to avoid crowds. He went to the car and saw a "very grotty" looking person talking to our little old lady next door neighbor. She had a handyman over before that I went outside and asked him if I could help him, thinking he didn't belong. I embarrassed myself, so my Dad was thinking about this.

We are in a retirement community and my sixty year old dad and I are the youngest by far. We also have security, but they aren't always here during the day. My Dad got in his car and drove to the Fred Meyer a quarter mile down the road. But the guy didn't sit right with him, so he drove back.

Two police SUVs were in our parking, with a bunch of cops apparently yelling at this guy, "YOU GOTTA LEAVE!" He wasn't complying, but eventually just walked off out of our complex.

My father went next door to apologize for not asking if everything was alright. Little old lady said it happens every few years, not to worry about it.

Then she noticed her entire enclosed patio had been rearranged. Nothing stolen, but everything had been moved around. Including her Hide-A-Key, which had been shattered on the ground.

She starts freaking out and asks my Dad to check on the neighbors. Two other neighbors had their entire patios re-organized, both with their Hide-A-Keys broken in plain sight. Our patio was locked, but my Dad found the guy had hurled plants and poo poo into our area.

Apparently the police are like, "Welp, what do you want us to do?"

All this happened while I was oversleeping by an hour.

My father's first statement was sympathy for the homeless guy, saying he needs help. He does need help, having some sort of psychosis where he breaks into little old ladies patios and reorganizes them. (gently caress Ronald Reagan and what he did to mental healthcare.) But my Dad, who is a very fit sixty year old, says he will absolutely run this guy off if the police won't.

If I see this guy, I'm running him off with a shotgun. I'm not gonna gently caress around and get stabbed.

Question - Is a guy doing something like this, that also makes a big show of smashing "Hide-A-Keys", warming up to do something worse?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Maybe. Big question is if all the keys that were in the hide-a-keys were accounted for. Smashing them on purpose is weird unless they were the only rock or whatever on an otherwise unblemished porch.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I'm gonna guess drugs, that's usually the answer to "making a big show somewhere that isn't like where I live"

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

madeintaipei posted:

Sorry, what. That sounds badass!

Ice climbing! It's fun and terrifying and cold all at the same time.

Makes for great Instabook photos.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Dang dicknose don't tuck that money under your eyelids!

Pillbug

Akion posted:

Ice climbing! It's fun and terrifying and cold all at the same time.

Makes for great Instabook photos.

I know a dude whoís nearly 80 and still ice climbs. Itís so weird watching him walk everywhere at a snailís pace and then heíll show someone a video of himself the weekend before rocketing up the side of a frozen cliff.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Maybe. Big question is if all the keys that were in the hide-a-keys were accounted for. Smashing them on purpose is weird unless they were the only rock or whatever on an otherwise unblemished porch.

Apparently. Everything, per my father who was with the neighbors, was apparently obsessively organized into whatever bizarre order the dude was trying to achieve. But he found all the hide-a-keys. This was all apparently in the wee hours, while it was light outside.

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm gonna guess drugs, that's usually the answer to "making a big show somewhere that isn't like where I live"

Drugs or some mental break.

I feel for the dude and wish he could get help. What he did doesn't scream, "Thief or Murderer." But if the dude isn't in reality, I don't want anyone getting shanked.

If he knows he can come here and gently caress around with impunity, then not get arrested, I figure he might be back. If the dude breaks into my area, I'm calling the police and grabbing a shotgun.

God drat, I don't have the energy for this bullshit. While I may not be physically able to run anyone off, I will shuffle a person off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

At the very least, it's a good idea to encourage your neighbors to move away from Hide-A-Keys. If they ABSOLUTELY MUST do this, check LockPickingLawyer or BosnianBill's for one of those combination lock boxes for spare keys that real estate agents use. There has to be one that's relatively secure and also not a million billion dollars.