Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Day Two of Vacation: drywall adventures continue!

Way too long ago (more than a few months), I finally fixed the water damage to my living room ceiling and wall. Well, when we got a new TV and fireplace entertainment center thing, it turns out that the overhead lights create horrible glare from where I sit. So, we decided to use the lamps that we have in the room, and the glare is gone... but the angle revealed some mud mistakes on the wall. Those are fixed. 99% of that was done yesterday. I also fixed an access hole I opened up near the back door. Coat #2 of mud is on it now.

But the big project was my son's ceiling (basement apartment). Years ago, my brother and I had to cut several access holes to run down a wiring problem. Long story deleted, my son has been a trooper, and I decided to go ahead and get those holes fixed. And it wasn't easy, but each uniquely shaped one is patched, including the 65Ĺ" ◊ 18" one that was also there for a plumbing reason. I have to tape and mud, and then mud some more. Then, spray the texture (orange peel), for which I may rent the hopper thing since our living room ceiling is also getting that texture, and it's expensive if you try to do it with spray cans.

But, the hard part is done. I feel like shootin'.

Oh! Not only is everything I've ever ordered arriving on Thursday, but because of the Beeman P17, I decided to get some work gloves other than the stiff, rough ones that I have in the garage for serious yard work. I didn't invest much money, since they just had to be good enough to let me handle wood, drywall, tools, and my P17 without getting tons of splinters and cuts. I went with two pair of Firm Grip brand General Purpose gloves. I would've gotten fingerless, but they didn't have my size, and I figured I'd use one pair for the actual work today. And... how have I been working on stuff without gloves all these years?

Oh yeah, they're great for shooting, except I can't load pellets with the fingered gloves. I may buy a pair and de-finger them just for shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Dear Goons, especially VA goons, here's a thing I learned that nobody told me:

You know how our state has had a vaccine rollout where you register on their site and then they're supposed to call and tell you when its your turn?

Well.

In addition to that, private entities ( like pharmacies ) are doing their own rollouts. With their own waiting lists. Walmart in particular has a waiting list that you can put yourself on, and, if they get any cancellations, and you can get there within the hour, they vaccinate you.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I've been on the corpo lists for weeks. I'm keeping myself on all of them just to see how long it would have taken if I weren't shared an Instagram post by a small clinic local to a friend of mine.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TX is the same way. I was able to sign up at the beginning of March and schedule a shot within 36 hours simply by being diligent and checking Walmart, CVS, HEB and Walgreens every few hours until CVS had an opening. Annoying, yes, but I got my second stab of Pfizer a week ago so who cares.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Final Blog Entry posted:

Just got my first Moderna shot, currently under observation in case of adverse reaction to the 5G nanobots
welcome to the hive mind, let us know when Bill Gates gives your first orders

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Dear Goons, especially VA goons, here's a thing I learned that nobody told me:

You know how our state has had a vaccine rollout where you register on their site and then they're supposed to call and tell you when its your turn?

Well.

In addition to that, private entities ( like pharmacies ) are doing their own rollouts. With their own waiting lists. Walmart in particular has a waiting list that you can put yourself on, and, if they get any cancellations, and you can get there within the hour, they vaccinate you.

My city did that too, I got my first dose January 21st because they had leftover doses from a vial

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I had a friendly goon point me in the direction of an Oregon website registration, which I didn't know existed.

My Dad and I are eligible. Cool, right? Well, the website doesn't seem to do anything but tell me to check CVS, Walgreens, Safeway, Costco, and a few other places. Most of them require another sign up.

Each one was empty. I was told to keep checking in thirty minute intervals.

I'm going to be just fine if I get it tomorrow or next month, but this process is jaw droppingly stupid. I honestly think Facebook could organize it better, and I loving hate Facebook.

Heaven forbid we have a strong federal presence say, "HEY FUCKERS! This is how it's gonna work." But heaven forbid we infringe on "States Rights."

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Yesterday Florida opened up vaccine eligibility to all adults. A week ago I registered with both the state and county websites which are supposed to text or email you regarding vaccine eligibility and appointment availability. On Friday I ended up getting my appointment scheduled with Publix, and two days into me being eligible I haven't got any updates from the state or county.

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos

This site worked for me. Choose your state, and get to F5ing. I had to drive to a town 30 miles away, but I got my first shot yesterday, the first day I was eligible. https://www.vaccinespotter.org/

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Yeah, in IL, vaccine rollout for all adults (not just those in the 1_ categories) isn't a thing yet, I don't think. But, counties can also make that call, which mine did. To get the shot in IL, you have to be eligible for the county that you're in, but as soon as my county opened it up, both the county health department and private companies restarted registration.

I went with Walgreens because it's less of a hassle than going to the county site.

At Walgreens, if they have thawed out vaccine left at the end of the night, they make announcements inviting anyone to come back and get the shot. The guy there said that once they thaw it out, they have about an hour or so before it's wasted. They can't even prep for the day.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Somebody Awful posted:

I'm not claustrophobic but I stay the gently caress out of caves.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DarkHorse posted:

welcome to the hive mind, let us know when Bill Gates gives your first orders

Bill Gates told me to take my ENTIRE ammo stash to the gun show this coming weekend. Makes sense; buy low/sell high, right?

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

I was holding out for the Novavax vaccine to become available, but due to my life being an utter mess right now I am getting my first Pfizer shot this Friday.

I guess I lucked out because the second time I went on CVS' website I was able to book an appointment 20 minutes away.

With how things are going, I fully expect to die from anaphylaxis.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Looks like most of my deliveries are coming today. Which is neat, I guess, but it means that the day my wife took off to hang out? Well, we'll be hanging out here. The forecast said it'd be rainy, but even that's now in doubt.

I swear, if I have to sit around here and wait for deliveries on a day I could have been bicycling or something....

... of course, not much drywall can be done. I added some mud to a couple of spots in the kitchen and downstairs, but other spots are still not totally dry, so today, I'm done with drywall. Guess I'll head out to the garage, clean up the considerable mess I made, install my Rubbermaid FastTrack stuff, and sort out wrenches and sockets. And by sort out, I haven't ruled out donating most of those sockets, all of which are ancient, many of which are corroded to some degree, and none of which are organized. ..

Someone worse off than me might get use out of them, but I'm a little tired of lugging around the hand-me-downs.

Except, of course, for those 10 mm ones. I'll hang on to those.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loving second buyer fell through on my Condo. "The loan couldn't close".

This is getting tiring.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Akion posted:

loving second buyer fell through on my Condo. "The loan couldn't close".

This is getting tiring.

Oh man, that sucks.

How close are you to "gently caress it, hire a management company and rent it out" territory? A friend of mine got married several years ago, and he and his wife were both homeowners while they were dating. He moved in with her so he could rehab his house, and when that was done, they moved into his house. Since she was underwater on her house (not horribly so, but the market was blah at the time), they hired some company that basically keeps the tenants coming in, collects the rent, etc. The rent is not bringing them in any profit to speak of, but it's better than having a mortgage payment on a house that is just sitting there for sale.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Not quite there yet. I have enough equity in it that I'm not losing sleep, and the monthly mortgage+HOA+utilities is under $1400/mo. If I hired a management company, with the way Denver rents are right now, I'd probably be losing money. Once you account for wear/tear of a tenant living there it's just not really worth it to me unless I can rent it and turn a profit after the management company.

Pile the eviction moratoriums on top of that and it's easier to just let it sit empty and keep loving the housing market up, even though I'd prefer to just get my money back out of it. The current price would basically have me breaking even on living there for the last few years.

If it doesn't go back under contract before rates start creeping up I may just refinance and sit on it for a few more years since Denver doesn't seem to be slowing down beyond COVID impacts on urban real-estate. The condo is in a good spot on the 16th Street Mall, which just got approved for a major renovation project.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Akion posted:

The condo is in a good spot on the 16th Street Mall, which just got approved for a major renovation project.

You'll never sell it, who wants to live next to an I.M. Pei building within walking distance of all the top downtown spots in Denver?

tell ya hwhat i'll take it off your hands for a fair price

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

infrared35 posted:

Bill Gates told me to take my ENTIRE ammo stash to the gun show this coming weekend. Makes sense; buy low/sell high, right?

I've been thinking the same thing.

Well, maybe not the ENTIRE stash. Maybe my vaccine was defective

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Our friendly neighborhood prowler returned last night around midnight, unbeknownst to us. Cops came, couldnít find him. He came back at two, and they got him.

Dude has to be having some mental troubles. But now everyone is worried he is going to keep coming back whenever he gets out.

We live in a poo poo part of town (Centennial), but crime in the old folks condo community is always pretty low.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

USPS delivered my Nittany Mountain Works package (a Deluxe Hip Sack and a Ditty Bag) and my pepper flakes (Flatiron), and UPS just pulled up. The dude was looking at the packages and said, "I see where these are from... these must be precious cargo!"

I'm 150 rounds of 38 special richer. And, factory wadcutters! Sure, they're S&B, so everything about processing the brass will be the same as everything about polishing rear end, but still, I've never had these. Cool. And, I got 150 rounds of 22 LR from Midway because it was on sale for the low low price of I don't want to talk about it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Got one slut juice shot booked for next Wednesday for my wife. Working to get another booked for myself now but will tag along with her otherwise to see if they'll jab me while I'm there. It should be the J&J one and done where we booked.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Got one slut juice shot booked for next Wednesday for my wife. Working to get another booked for myself now but will tag along with her otherwise to see if they'll jab me while I'm there. It should be the J&J one and done where we booked.

Nice.

In tool chat: I have 5 10 mm wrenches: two Craftsmans, 1 Duralast, 1 Gearwrench, 1 unbranded "DROP FORGED" that was made in Taiwan (I found several of these), and all of these are combination wrenches; the last is an open-ended NTK that's 10 on one side and 14 on the other.

My dad's wrenches tell a story... a story of a man who would sooner buy a wrench than look for one. There is a nearly complete set of GM Goodwrench SAE wrenches (no doubt purchased at an auto parts store), nearly full sets of Duralast SAE & Metric wrenches still in the case thing they came in (I believe from Autozone), what appears to be at least two once-complete sets of Craftsman--one of which was probably mine!--in both SAE and Metric, partial small sets of SAE and Metric Gearwrench ratcheting combo wrenches with pivoting box-ends, and various other wrenches he probably picked up at his last job, where maintenance toolboxes were sometimes borrow pits. Seven unbranded "DROP FORGED TAIWAN" wrenches were found. I did discard several flat, corroded wrenches that probably were highly specialized for some task or something, who knows. They were beyond salvage.

Interestingly, there are no 5/8ths Craftsman wrenches. But, I have four 13 mm ones, so... hooray?

Sockets are next. But, I have no clue what I'm going to do with all of these wrenches. You never need more than 2 of any one wrench, and there's a certain satisfaction in having just one brand. I may just buy the missing Craftsman pieces and donate the rest.

Except for the 10 mm.

Edit: I also have a mostly complete set of Stanly tools from Walmart in a nice injection-molded case. But, at some point, a chemical got in there, and it's corroded most of the tools. Also, that case holds onto those tools harder than anything I've seen.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 7, 2021

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

The private party providers here in Western New York seem to be mostly slinging the J&J vaccine. There's a volunteer website VaccineHound.org posting availabilities so I managed to book an appointment yesterday for today and busted out of work early. Versus the state run vaccine operations which are either like 300+ miles round trip drive or scheduling you out into May for the first dose of Pfizer.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

tarlibone posted:

Sockets are next. But, I have no clue what I'm going to do with all of these wrenches. You never need more than 2 of any one wrench, and there's a certain satisfaction in having just one brand. I may just buy the missing Craftsman pieces and donate the rest.

Except for the 10 mm.

Edit: I also have a mostly complete set of Stanly tools from Walmart in a nice injection-molded case. But, at some point, a chemical got in there, and it's corroded most of the tools. Also, that case holds onto those tools harder than anything I've seen.
You didn't ask for it but I was going to mention the socket holder/organizer that I got a few years back for father's day but looking at camelcamelcamel the price has gone up so I don't know how worth it it really is at the new price. I think it was probably $27 per the history when it was gifted to me versus now it's "on sale" for $42.
https://smile.amazon.com/Olsa-Tools-Portable-Organizer-Sockets/dp/B073QMWYGK

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

You didn't ask for it but I was going to mention the socket holder/organizer that I got a few years back for father's day but looking at camelcamelcamel the price has gone up so I don't know how worth it it really is at the new price. I think it was probably $27 per the history when it was gifted to me versus now it's "on sale" for $42.
https://smile.amazon.com/Olsa-Tools-Portable-Organizer-Sockets/dp/B073QMWYGK

Thanks!

I've seen those, but I'm good using the strips that hold the sockets. Once you put them in size order one time, it's done, and as long as you put tools back where they go (which I'm pretty good at doing now that I'm using these strips), you don't end up with the hoard of sockets I had.

I went through the sockets. Man... just wow. So many 11/16ths. So many 8-point Taiwan-made sockets. Geez. I know some of those are ones I bought as a kid, too. So, I pared down to Craftsman, got rid of most of the doubles, and now I just have a few things to get to organize things. I wonder if there's a drawer insert for wrench organization?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

There is everything for everything. Don't go to garagejournal

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Heh.

I got some cheapo wrench holders at Harbor Freight. Craftsman won't fit in the slots perfectly and lock in, but they'll sit there, and that's good enough for me. Got the socket rail things, too. Could've gotten nice ones for way too much, but the $1 Pittsburgh ones are fine.

I am getting rid of so many random and duplicate sockets and wrenches. I only do so much work with these tools, and I'm tired of keeping them around. Even though they're safely tucked away in my toolbox, out-of-sight, they're not out-of-mind. Clutter will drive people nuts. Even knowing it's there can make me stress out a little. And I'm not a neat freak by any stretch.

I've just spent too much time looking for a 9/16ths wrench or socket.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 8, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

It's not worthy of a box thread, but I did have a little fun over in the concealed carry thread. I followed some great advice, and now I finally can bike prepared for whatever might find me on the trails.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

That's pretty neat. I was just shopping kitbags today for hiking/fishing season. Seems we have some big cats living in the hills above town where I hike/ride.

Speaking of riding, I managed to blow a tire at the furthest point on my ride today. That was super fun.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is probably the most random interview subject I've ever heard of. Imagine having that as your career defining moment. Kudos to Slate for looking him up though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is probably the most random interview subject I've ever heard of. Imagine having that as your career defining moment. Kudos to Slate for looking him up though.

I had no loving clue that song was more or less by Lords of Acid. God drat, that band takes me back.

This album was a trip, from what was basically a old school techno group.

Not safe for LISTENING at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l435Y12jw4o

I'm sure you can see where Peaches, who sings "gently caress The Pain Away", got her style.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 8, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Dang dicknose don't tuck that money under your eyelids!

Pillbug

Woohoo, my transfer request got approved so Iíll be working somewhere thatís actually a reasonable distance from where I live! I should probably use the money Iím not spending on hotels on something responsible but it really just makes it more likely my next firearm will be something completely unreasonable.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I had no loving clue that song was more or less by Lords of Acid. God drat, that band takes me back.

This album was a trip, from what was basically a old school techno group.

Not safe for LISTENING at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l435Y12jw4o

I'm sure you can see where Peaches, who sings "gently caress The Pain Away", got her style.

Just a couple weeks ago I had the fun of introducing that album to a friend who had never heard of LoA!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Tyro posted:

Just a couple weeks ago I had the fun of introducing that album to a friend who had never heard of LoA!

Haha my first boss introduced me to them back in 2000. Good times

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

When you were in diapers, I was at the Orbit Room watching Nikkie Van Lierop swing a sex doll around by its man-parts.

You drat kids.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 8, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

When you were in diapers, I was at the Orbit Room watching Nikkie Van Lierop swing a sex doll around by its man-parts.

You drat kids.

Well, when you were in the Orbit Room watching drat kids swing around man-parts, I was with a Nikkie Van Lierop sex doll in diapers.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Anyone buy a TV recently? I could use some pointers.

The wife has decided she wants to upgrade our bedroom TV, a 27" 720p Sony I bought as a birthday gift to myself ~12ish years ago.

I have tentatively convinced her that we should get a bigger TV for the living room, and move our 2 year old 55" into the bedroom. The TV we currently have is nice, 4k smart TV with 120hz refresh rate. It's a solid TV with good picture, only complaint is it's a little slow changing apps.

I'm looking to get either a 65" or 70" with at least the same picture quality, and 3 hmdi ports. I'm trying to keep it around a grand, but I can go a few hundred higher if I need to, $1500 probably being the absolute top end. I don't really care what brand I end up with, as long as it's a reputable, non-trash tier tv.

I did some initial browsing yesterday, but wasn't really seeing anything great. I looked at Target, because the wife had a coupon, but unsurprisingly they were all lower end 60hz models with only 1 or 2 HDMI ports. I also started looking a little at Sam's Club, since we have a membership, but their website doesn't show specs and I got tired of finding a tv that looked promising, then opening another tab to look up specs and find it didn't meet my criteria.

Any Goon recommendations on a model or a shop to check out? Or am I looking for a unicorn here?

*Edit* Our bedroom doubles as my wife's home office, and is actually where she does most of her TV watching. We always turn it off for actual bed time, rather than trying to fall asleep with it on.

Also, our living room is kind of comically large, so the 55" looks kind of tiny and leaves a ton of bare wall around it, hence wanting to go up a size class

Hayden fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 8, 2021

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hayden posted:

Anyone buy a TV recently? I could use some pointers.

The wife has decided she wants to upgrade our bedroom TV, a 27" 720p Sony I bought as a birthday gift to myself ~12ish years ago.

I have tentatively convinced her that we should get a bigger TV for the living room, and move our 2 year old 55" into the bedroom. The TV we currently have is nice, 4k smart TV with 120hz refresh rate. It's a solid TV with good picture, only complaint is it's a little slow changing apps.

I'm looking to get either a 65" or 70" with at least the same picture quality, and 3 hmdi ports. I'm trying to keep it around a grand, but I can go a few hundred higher if I need to, $1500 probably being the absolute top end. I don't really care what brand I end up with, as long as it's a reputable, non-trash tier tv.

I did some initial browsing yesterday, but wasn't really seeing anything great. I looked at Target, because the wife had a coupon, but unsurprisingly they were all lower end 60hz models with only 1 or 2 HDMI ports. I also started looking a little at Sam's Club, since we have a membership, but their website doesn't show specs and I got tired of finding a tv that looked promising, then opening another tab to look up specs and find it didn't meet my criteria.

Any Goon recommendations on a model or a shop to check out? Or am I looking for a unicorn here?

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-65-inch-Crystal-TU-8000-Built/dp/B084JBTYHJ/

This one's 60hz unfortunately but should give you a jumping point.

As a general rule never ever buy anything even tangentially electronics-related in person. Wall mounts at like Meijer and Best Buy are loving $50-90 when they're $15-30 online for example.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I would advise against a huge TV in the bedroom.

Unless you watch most of your TV in there, it's a waste, for one thing. But for another, it will put out a lot more light, even at the lowest settings, than a little TV. If you use your TV for very occasional bedroom watching and/or mostly for putting something on to go to sleep by, a smaller TV is much less disruptive. Also, unless your bedroom is the size of your living room, you're going to be way closer to that larger light source. It'll be like sitting in the front row of the theater, except you're also trying to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

When I decided on my 55" Samsung Q80T a few months ago, I read the RTINGS list of best TVs in that size. Here's their Best 65" 4K TVs list, which links to their very in-depth reviews of each TV. Their overall best choice is $2000, though, but the others on the list might check all your boxes, too.