Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine

Jelly posted:

This is a bit tough and/or I am not very smart.

Is there like a rough tutorial to kind of get you on your feet? I'm good on the basic basics but I'm feeling pretty dumb on the medium basics like I don't know how to feed my guys or assign beds which becomes a rapid issue.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm playing very "vanilla". Here's what i've learned-

food- place a chest along a long flat surface and fill it with food. they will eat.
(if someone is following you and you tell them to stop following, sometimes they have trouble getting back.)

beds- i built mine along a flat surface. AI friends can do simple jumps, but i honestly dont know how stairs work, i'm protected with diagonal blocks in my house. i think the beds auto assign. i noticed when i moved furniture around after they had slept in a bed the AI friends would glitch out at night while trying to find their old bed.
if you click on peoples names you can tell them what to do. you can also give them inventory.

the basics- WASD for movement, space for jump, tab for inventory (esc is menu)

-shift click an item gives you one
-right click an item halves the stack

-right click with a block equipped to create a background

R to equip ammo and reload (took me waaay too long to figure that out)

E and TAB are how you interact with things. if you press tab on work bench you can build different things.
i built all the stations I could. work bench, kitchen, armorer and research. research doesnt seem to work.
F7 used to open a debug menu (which i promised ive never used) but it doesnt seem to be there anymore?

(i did minimal mining, and dug straight down, so i might be missing materials.)

i'm currently at a standstill, i don't know what to do next. (i havent tried building a ladder to heaven yet....)
i have 12 people, engineers doctors administrators and other occupations. no idea how to use them.
i gave everyone pickaxes and guns and had them follow me, hoping they would help me dig a hole but they just freeloaded.

i feel like i might be missing something too, i havent played rimworld but played terraria on the 360.

im sure this stuff will probably be better explained by buddie and a load of features improved, these are my current findings.

im pulling a lot of this from memory so correct me if im wrong, and there was an update between the last time i played, so this may not be 100% accurate

ExtraQuiet fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine

heres what i have going on

I love how interesting you can make a building with just the metal wall, combined with the corrugated steel

e: biggest feature i want is reducing the trees hitbox so i can build under them and/or cut them in half to build sweet tree forts on their trunks.
i want to plant some trees, cut em in half, then build a elevated house in case a flood comes. and use the tree brush as my roof.

ExtraQuiet fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 30, 2021

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
It must be because my beds were on the second floor of my structure.

I did get research to work, more stuff shows up over time (I'm guessing based on who you recruit or what materials you access).

Researching things allows your workstations to build more stuff.

I'll play with it some more tonight for sure.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 30, 2021

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
yeah were working on pathfinding + adding ladders so that multiple level buildings will path better

were also going to add an R for Reload text on the bar when its empty and/or possibly add an auto reload if you fire when empty

assigning mine/construction orders to NPCs is actually being worked on right now and will likely be in the next update

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This game sounds cool and fun and good

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine

Rhopunzel posted:

yeah were working on pathfinding + adding ladders so that multiple level buildings will path better

were also going to add an R for Reload text on the bar when its empty and/or possibly add an auto reload if you fire when empty

assigning mine/construction orders to NPCs is actually being worked on right now and will likely be in the next update

I kept looking in inventory for a special box to put the ammo in to equip it, but I think stacking the two items to equip, or just having bullets in your inventory would be fine.

the more i think about it i like the idea of stacking the ammo directly on the weapon, that way you don't have to prioritize ammo types.
hell, why not both. stack your preferred ammo and when you run out, it auto-equips whatever is in your inventory.

i'm about to hop on and see whats new. and, idk, maybe build a water well and see how many villagers end up in it.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
Had a follower die picked up thier corpse and lost all keyboard response ingame numbers would not switch the hotbar tab would not bring up the build menu esc would not do anything. Alt f4 still closed it though. Feel like a dummy with the crafting bench, hand crafting you drag into inventory but added stuff to the list on the right and put the resources in the bottom bit my followers didn't do anything and couldn't find anything to tell them to craft or do it myself.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

farcry posted:

Had a follower die picked up thier corpse and lost all keyboard response ingame numbers would not switch the hotbar tab would not bring up the build menu esc would not do anything. Alt f4 still closed it though. Feel like a dummy with the crafting bench, hand crafting you drag into inventory but added stuff to the list on the right and put the resources in the bottom bit my followers didn't do anything and couldn't find anything to tell them to craft or do it myself.

sounds like kuru. rip.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Outworlder is un hijo de la púta (an excelent game)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
New Patch!!!!

mprove Squad/Colony display in multiplayer so unloaded NPCs don’t disappear when they go out of range
Fix issue that caused player/NPC health to deplete slowly over time with no possible recourse
Aggressive creatures will now attack other creatures
Fix issue that caused mystery research to disappear when the game was reloaded, preventing further research progress
Fix issue that caused friendly and hostile spawn events near the player to generally fail, causing NPCs to only appear very rarely in the wild
Increase beast jump to allow exiting holes up to 2 blocks high
Fix issue in multiplayer that caused flipped furniture to be placed unflipped, and stairs to be placed as platforms

There's been more exciting ones, ngl

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
tag yourself

I'm the beast jump trying to exit holes

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im the hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hi muddafuckas, it's been awhile.
The game's gone through some pretty heavy development in the past few months, and we not only have a new trailer to show for it:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256854000/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1633033193

But we're also a part of Steam's Next Fest dealio where a bunch of indie devs are showing off their games complete with :spooky: FREE DEMOS :spooky: and that includes us, you can try it out right here at the Steam page where it is helpfully linked by the DOGSHIT company known as Valve.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363900/Outworlder/

So just to go over what's new -
  • A complete, functional faction system, you can now form teams on the fly, leave teams on the fly, and decide whether or not you want to coop or PvP on the fly. You don't have to set teams beforehand, all of it is handled ingame. We will of course eventually make it so that the host can force coop or create premade teams while in the lobby, but for the time being, it's all freeform baby!

• Energy weapons, explosives that damage terrain, and all kinds of other fancy weaponry have been added. We're continuing to refine these, and raiding a bandit lair or another player's base by nuking the crap out of it will absolutely be an option. Conversely, we hope to make it so players can create especially strong bunkers to prevent this.

• Hazards have been added. Currently there's an ice storm that forces you to seek refuge underground in order to survive. This has made base building more goal focused and also makes venturing out a gamble. Outposts become necessary and so will planning for long treks out with food, ammo and some good old digging implements. We've also adjusted our temperature system to be more reactive to heat sources, while also changing based on how high you are (colder), or how low you are (hotter). Yes we know that's not scientifically accurate but this is a videogame!

• We have added super special crates with high value loot in them which can only be opened via keycards that vary from Tier 1 to Tier 3. Each progressive Tier requires rarer and more voluminous goods to be exchanged at a Vendor for keycards. Once a keycard has been obtained, you can initiate a hacking procedure at the appropriate chest. During this period of time, for around three minutes or so, other players will be alerted that is chest is being hacked, and you can either invade and try to jack their poo poo, or, in the future, once implemented, help them fend off hordes of enemies that will collapse on the chest. This way functionality is retained for both PvP and coop. You can imagine that along with blizzards, fighting for these chests can get dynamically messy.

• Weather effects! So far we've got rainstorms and the aforementioned blizzards. The temperature drops during these events and if it's pouring you gotta watch out not to get zapped by lightning. We're glad to have implemented these because we plan on adding so many more of them, and each one will end up affecting the experience in unique ways.

• A Rimworld style management system. Remember checking those boxes to assign jobs and roles to colonists? Well, we've got that too. All your little doofuses can now be assigned to specific jobs so they don't step all over each other or do things you don't want them to. This was a big step in cinching the management aspect of Outworlder, and we plan to expand it even further from that point on.

• Points of interest. Random structures will be sprinkled around the map containing loot and enemies. These are fairly rudimentary for the moment and only consisted of bandit lairs of various difficulties, but later on these will vary from isolated cabins with a single lunatic inside of them, large technobases, crashed spaceships, high up observation posts, mining camps, creature infested dungeons, a goon's computer room with biohazardous hair, and so on and so forth. Players will of course be able to help each other clear these out, or heck, take some armed colonists with you.

• Mobility items. We've got rocket boots, speed boots, double jump boots, wall jumping boots, gently caress man, we've even got the Hulk Hogan meat shoes in here. You can peep some of them in the new trailer. We want to go absolutely nuts with specialized items such as these and later on introduce good old standbys like grappling hooks or even a screw attack.

• We're Steam integrated now, so that means you don't need to do any port fuckery to host or join a game, it's as easy as pressing a button then inviting people with a code. Our multiplayer is also astonishingly stable compared to how it used to be, so multi hour sessions are entirely possible without too much making GBS threads of the bed.

• There are fancy shaders now! Lights glow, lazer weapons light up the night sky, muzzle flashes illuminate the room, bright sparks fly out as you mine ore, and you can see the red glowing eyes of creatures in the dark. It's a little bloom heavy at the moment, and we're still heavily adjusting the values, but the game is popping to an extent it just wasn't anymore. Far more visually exciting than it used to be that's for sure.

I'm probably missing a whole bunch of small things, but we developed the poo poo out of this game in the past few months and you should download the demo and try it or look at Glenn and I playing it like pieces of poo poo on the stream.