Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

super nailgun posted:

Came here from the Starbound thread, this game looks more interesting even in alpha. Excited to join playtesting and give Outworlder a try!

Working hard to make the game fun. I really feel like the genre hasn't made any good movement since Starbound and that there is a gap in the market for something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Rho is a good person, I hope this game does very well. :)

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Ben Quebec posted:

Working hard to make the game fun. I really feel like the genre hasn't made any good movement since Starbound and that there is a gap in the market for something like this.

Is there currently any way to put some cash toward the effort? I was bummed to see that pre-orders were currently closed.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Had a superjanky glitch where I handaxe chopped a beast while it killed me, it locked up the audio, and nothing worked, I had to exit and restart for it to recognize that I died and it did the reset thing.

The jump is only what, two blocks high, but with a quick about face while running(all within one square of ground mind you), I've managed to latch onto ledges 3 or 4 high. Super useful when moving about by myself, but :lol: NPCs just can't fathom my obscene vertical skills.

I glitched into a permanent endless falling animation lock when I guess I simultaneously did some combination of the ground slide, the ledge grab, and/or a drop through a platform. Had to break the platform I landed on to unstick myself, but it wasn't completely broke.

A thing I would like: A constructed object which I can put a dead thing--like a bird--inside, that will attract a beast so I can get more meat. Bonus if it has a chance to attract an obscene number of beasts that will absolutely ruin a player's day.

Another thing I would like to see: Not having creatures spawn almost in front of me, which is not nice when they're a predator(?) or a beast(!) as I suspect those will generally make for a bad day if they suddenly appear on your location. Offsetting spawns of critters to "just outside" or near enough the screen edge that they don't get the jump on a player would be good. If there's increased vision planned anywhere, that might be a factor as well. Played a retro game recently and shots don't work when things aren't on screen because the game was very "not there, don't care"; if NPCs can see past screens edges and shoot things far away, that would make sniping a worthwhile task for them.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

super nailgun posted:

Is there currently any way to put some cash toward the effort? I was bummed to see that pre-orders were currently closed.

Our EA is not too far out. You'll be able to pitch in then.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

this looks dope
is the health system similar to rimworld's? cause that's like my favourite aspect of that game tbh

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

hbag posted:

this looks dope
is the health system similar to rimworld's? cause that's like my favourite aspect of that game tbh

We don't have anything that involved yet, but NPCs will definitely end up suffering from hypothermia, bleeding, starvation, etc.
Time will tell how detailed we'll get, ie Rimworld's specific injuries on characters or things like withdrawal.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

hbag posted:

this looks dope

I'm designing this game so that everythings scalable. An advantage to that is it gets the game in everyones hands faster and it allows us to expand on features later, a disadvantage is that to start out things will feel pretty bare bones.

Currently the health system sort of resembles a fighting games, to be put simply. When you take damage, a certain proportion is recoverable passively (the rate of which is aided by your hunger level), while other items actively recover health and/or restore the amount that can be recovered.

Currently theres bleeding and hypothermia, but theyre dummied out until we can get the proper UI and visual tells in so the player knows whats happening. We don't want to go down the Project Zomboid path of having the only sign your guys literally starving/freezing to death being a tiny icon you can barely see. It should be overwhelmingly obvious and we don't have the UI right now.

Next would be surgeries and limbs. That allows for things like cyborg legs (or peg legs!) or even losing limbs if you take a lot of damage.

Ultimately the goal would be to have something like RimWorlds (though nothing insane like DF). Right now its just too much work but everythings laid out so that if we want to work on adding it later, it can go on top of what's already there rather than having to redo everything from scratch.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Rhopunzel posted:

I'm designing this game so that everythings scalable. An advantage to that is it gets the game in everyones hands faster and it allows us to expand on features later, a disadvantage is that to start out things will feel pretty bare bones.

Currently the health system sort of resembles a fighting games, to be put simply. When you take damage, a certain proportion is recoverable passively (the rate of which is aided by your hunger level), while other items actively recover health and/or restore the amount that can be recovered.

Currently theres bleeding and hypothermia, but theyre dummied out until we can get the proper UI and visual tells in so the player knows whats happening. We don't want to go down the Project Zomboid path of having the only sign your guys literally starving/freezing to death being a tiny icon you can barely see. It should be overwhelmingly obvious and we don't have the UI right now.

Next would be surgeries and limbs. That allows for things like cyborg legs (or peg legs!) or even losing limbs if you take a lot of damage.

Ultimately the goal would be to have something like RimWorlds (though nothing insane like DF). Right now its just too much work but everythings laid out so that if we want to work on adding it later, it can go on top of what's already there rather than having to redo everything from scratch.

loving Neato
applied for playtesting

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

Neat. I take it you're also using space station 13 as an inspiration source? If you're not, you may want to look at it.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Zlodo posted:

Neat. I take it you're also using space station 13 as an inspiration source? If you're not, you may want to look at it.

SS13 is an inspiration but Ill be honest, the last time I played it in earnest was around 2009, so its probably changed a lot from what I barely remember. In any case I would really appreciate hearing any features from that you'd like to see.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

for whatever reason that thing about casings and magazines being modelled seems cool as gently caress

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I found some Granna. At first they seemed to be weird looking herbivores, but then one of them blew itself up? Now that I look closer they're more like naked humanoids with green beards.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that the NPC's don't do well navigating underground. Or going down.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

itry posted:

I found some Granna. At first they seemed to be weird looking herbivores, but then one of them blew itself up? Now that I look closer they're more like naked humanoids with green beards.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that the NPC's don't do well navigating underground. Or going down.

NPCs don't navigate well. Period. At this phase of the game. Pathfinding and all its annoying nuance is a constant, active developing feature.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

is that gun in the game

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

what gun

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

The Gun, of course
dumbass

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

hbag posted:

The Gun, of course
dumbass

the gun you want is not in this game

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
Got a chance to try it today! Early gameplay seems pretty good right now, only thing I noticed are that the enemies seem to be incredibly tanky. I did have to leave the game running for a bit when I went out so I don’t know if that had anything to do with it, but they just absorb bullets. May just be a progression thing where I didn’t upgrade my guns but still.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The Baumann posted:

Got a chance to try it today! Early gameplay seems pretty good right now, only thing I noticed are that the enemies seem to be incredibly tanky. I did have to leave the game running for a bit when I went out so I don’t know if that had anything to do with it, but they just absorb bullets. May just be a progression thing where I didn’t upgrade my guns but still.

Oh yeah, it's cause the damage for our weapons has not been normalized whatsoever. The math behind it is kind of annoying too, so it's not the most simple thing to adjust. Annoying for me, a mathematical idiot.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah here's how guns went:

I looked at some of the existing guns > I made art and an excel document for a bunch of new ones > Crystan threw as many as he could in as quickly as he could > that's it

the animations for them are coming along nicely but they're going to be all over the place, balance-wise, for a while lol

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
I’m getting old, I found it very hard to see things. It’s very dark and muted.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The giant M60 looks silly. Silly good.

Is the world infinite on both axis? I've been digging quite a bit and found some caves with glowing fungus and some... bunny stones? These bunnies seem real sinister all of a sudden.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Ben Quebec posted:

the gun you want is not in this game

thats good....

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

GolfHole posted:

thats good....

yet >:)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

itry posted:

The giant M60 looks silly. Silly good.

Is the world infinite on both axis? I've been digging quite a bit and found some caves with glowing fungus and some... bunny stones? These bunnies seem real sinister all of a sudden.

I believe the world is infinite in all directions.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Upcoming patch notes:

quote:

Note: This build uses the PREVIEW stage and cannot join lobbies from the LIVE (Steam Playtest) stage

- Updated Main Menu navigation
- Added public server browser when you click Join Game
- Updated notification icons for clarity
- Added alerts to signal missing beds, food, essential buildings
- New ledge climb animation for humanoids
- Auto-vaulting when holding up while walking against 1 block high obstacle

- Added Privacy and Port setting to server hosting settings
- Dedicated server now accepts -port and -privacy as arguments
- Quick fix on critters, especially birds, to be less likely to get stuck in 1x1 holes.
- Fix layering issue with sleeping players rendering in front of moving players
- Updated Unity version
- Fix issue where Hard Mode would never complete loading
- Buddie no longer exists; Buddy is now the only one.
- Fix issue that caused research progress to still get wiped
- Fix issue that caused "1111" to appear when you move a grabbed item around
- Misc sound fixes

Buddie is no more! Long live Buddy!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You will not get away with removing Buddie. You will regret this.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

:siren:

Outworlder Alpha1-Preview10f

- Updated Main Menu navigation
- Added public server browser when you click Join Game
- Updated notification icons for clarity
- Added alerts to signal missing beds, food, essential buildings
- New ledge climb animation for humanoids
- Auto-vaulting when holding up while walking against 1 block high obstacle
- Added Privacy and Port setting to server hosting settings
- Dedicated server now accepts -port and -privacy (Public/Private) as arguments
- Quick fix on critters, especially birds, to be less likely to get stuck in 1x1 holes.
- Fix layering issue with sleeping players rendering in front of moving players
- Updated Unity version
- Fix issue where Hard Mode would never complete loading
- Buddie no longer exists; Buddy is now the only one.
- Fix issue that caused research progress to still get wiped
- Fix issue that caused "1111" to appear when you move a grabbed item around
- Misc sound fixes
- Hydroid now has a ranged block telekinesis attack.
- Birds no longer have VTOL.
- Fixed issue that allowed characters to keep aiming the weapon barrel at targets while sleeping
- Fixed issue that prevented medkits from clearing afflictions or reviving players in multiplayer
- New audio for: eating sounds, drinking sounds, alien egg hatch, pump-action shotgun fire
- Steel Truss, Pickaxe, Wood/Iron Platform can now only be crafted by NPCs at the toolbench
- Pipes, Road Flare, Wrench are no longer craftable
- Torch is now only craftable from the player inventory
- Iron Ingot removed

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

does this game have loot boxes

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

GolfHole posted:

it does, it's $42.99 for six power up cards that must be used within the hour.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

GolfHole posted:

One of the ultra rare gems in the game will be Meme Crystals, which are the games equivalent of Spice Melange and can either be sold for a lot of credits or consumed to increase certain stats. I suppose if we really wanted we could let you buy them too

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i slowly rub my loot box

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I put on my loot and wizard box

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

powerful set bonus activated

.random
May 7, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

i slowly rub my loot box

Big Beef City posted:

I put on my loot and wizard box

Statutory Ape posted:

powerful set bonus activated

I am... intrigued by this new patch content :pervert:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I can moonwalk up staircases backwards like in Super Castlevania IV so I'm happy, SOLD

Although the ability to do it without holding a weapon in my hands would be even better!

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

wheres cum gun

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GenghisTron posted:

wheres cum gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
This is a bit tough and/or I am not very smart.

Is there like a rough tutorial to kind of get you on your feet? I'm good on the basic basics but I'm feeling pretty dumb on the medium basics like I don't know how to feed my guys or assign beds which becomes a rapid issue.