Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I got a ratty shopping bag. What is this, granny's EDC?

Paper? Is this the art of tactical paper cuts?

There's fake cigars too!

A whole pile of 'em!

And a gun!

It's got warnings on the side! Must be effective!

Some kind of open-bolt muzzle loader!

It's got a rail on top!

And a laser? Light? Laserlight? It has an adjustable front element for zeroing!

It's a big drat thing! Not carrying this sucker IWB!

No batteries included. I made a few test shots by aiming down the trough in the rail, but it seemed to be consistently shooting to the left. Let's put some sights on this baby!

Maybe not those sights!

Well poo poo, this isn't even a Picatinny rail! Guess I have to read the instructions!

I can't even read half this crap! Now I gotta buy attachments and learn foreign languages?

So yeah, this here is my first Nerf gun. I don't know where exactly it came from, but I'm pretty sure someone gave it to someone in the family, and that someone left it at my parents' place for them to find during spring cleaning X years later. Now it's mine by default. Came with the instruction sheet and darts you see pictured. Seems to be mechanically functional, although I haven't tested it extensively. No idea how many of these were made but a serial in the upper 500 range seems awfully low to me.

Anyway, happy April Fools. Stay tuned for part two, where I scrounge for batteries to test the tactical light and try shooting for groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

God, I wish the NERF of today existed when I was a kid. Detachable mags? Battery powered? Able to go fifty plus feet? Not as expensive as it was when I was little?

I never would have left the yard.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Captain Log posted:

God, I wish the NERF of today existed when I was a kid. Detachable mags? Battery powered? Able to go fifty plus feet? Not as expensive as it was when I was little?

nerf of today is extremely wild when you get to the custom scene. This is a fully custom, 3D-printed blaster I owned for a while called an FDL-3:

It fired darts at a velocity of up to 170FPS and a rate of fire of up to 720 RPM using flywheels and brushless motors powered by a 3S LiPo and a microcontroller, which allowed further customization of spin-up times, fire mode, specific velocity/fire rate control, and more.

I had that thing a couple years ago for a laff before I decided I didn't need yet another expensive hobby, but this kinda stuff is out there!

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Captain Log posted:

Nerf thread? Because dear god I have too many/ can share a ton.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Somebody Awful posted:

It's got a rail on top!

The fact that Nerf uses actual spec 1913 rails on their guns now is seriously cool.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

The fact that Nerf uses actual spec 1913 rails on their guns now is seriously cool.
Not exactly, but close. Nerf's rails are just a little bit smaller, so depending what you're trying to attach, it may not stay on well. Aftermarket Nerf stuff uses standard rails, though.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

nerf of today is extremely wild when you get to the custom scene. This is a fully custom, 3D-printed blaster I owned for a while called an FDL-3:

It fired darts at a velocity of up to 170FPS and a rate of fire of up to 720 RPM using flywheels and brushless motors powered by a 3S LiPo and a microcontroller, which allowed further customization of spin-up times, fire mode, specific velocity/fire rate control, and more.

I had that thing a couple years ago for a laff before I decided I didn't need yet another expensive hobby, but this kinda stuff is out there!

Man, I thought I was cool for jamming a couple pennies behind the spring to get a higher compression rate on that revolver everyone had a decade ago.
Wow, that's something.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Nerf rails are not Picatinny spec. But they can be! (Warning: if you do this for your kids, buy a poo poo load of batteries for the red dots you mount, because they'll NEVER remember to turn them off!)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Wa11y posted:

Nerf rails are not Picatinny spec. But they can be! (Warning: if you do this for your kids, buy a poo poo load of batteries for the red dots you mount, because they'll NEVER remember to turn them off!)

Just buy real red dots.

If I'm ever lucky enough to have kids, adopted or otherwise, we are going to play with SO MUCH NERF!!!

(Yes, I'm a man-child. I'm gonna go sort my coins now.)

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

If you cut a notch in the back of that pull handle of the nerf gun and wrap a bunch of rubber bands through it and back to the front, you will have much increased distance.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Captain Log posted:

(Yes, I'm a man-child. I'm gonna go sort my steampunk pogs now.)

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

quote:

(Yes, I'm a man-child. I'm gonna go sort my Nerf guns now.)

So, a few friends of mine do BIG nerf wars (when there's no plague). Like 4th of July potluck with family and friends with 45+ people running around on teams.

Thrift stores, thrift stores are your friend for Nerf guns just have to be patient.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Nerf is old hat, maaaan. If you're buying off-the-shelf, Dart Zone is the new meta.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Carbohydrates posted:

Nerf is old hat, maaaan. If you're buying off-the-shelf, Dart Zone is the new meta.

I see your Dart zone... and raise you a Caliburn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

shalafi4 posted:

I see your Dart zone... and raise you a Caliburn
Well sure, but show me one I can buy at Target. Custom is a whole different animal, and one I bet some folks here would probably honestly be interested in reading about out of curiosity if nothing else. Nerf / dart blasters have basically completely revolutionized in the past few years are are still evolving at a rapid rate.