Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Hey, it’s Chickam time again, and this is our 13th year, yay!

You can watch the hatch, with sound and chat, here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

NOW...
We have a surprise for everyone!

We’ve installed a major equipment upgrade!
A new laptop to run everything, dedicated solely to Chickam: Asus TUF506II, upgraded to 16GB RAM and an Intel WiFi 6 Ax200 WiFi adapter.
A new router: Asus RT-AX86U (AX5700)
The camera is the same Logitech c920 that we used last year.

So this year’s Chickam is running at 16:9 1280x720 (720p) @30fps!
With the previous equipment, the stream was at best 852x480, and barely keeping to 25fps.
No more eye-bleedingly bad picture, YAY!
Thanks go to our Chickam patrons, for helping make this happen!

What The Hell Is *Chickam* You Ask?
Why it’s a live webcam feed of baby chicks hatching in my ReptiPro incubator, in my dining room! After the hatch, we’ll move the cam to the brooder box for the next 8 weeks, it will run 24/7, with sound, so you can watch the chicks grow up! You will also hear our family, since the chicks are taking over my dining room for the next 8 weeks.

If you have a question, fire away!

Hope everyone is ready for some hot chick action, ‘cause we’ve got eggs pipped and chicks on the way…

How Many?
This year, we started with 36 in the incubator, a variety of standard and bantam sizes, all from our flock!

We have for sure 26 embryos, with 2 more that are iffy due to the shells being too dark to see through when I candled them—so a possible hatch of 28, though it will likely be less than that. Mother Nature ultimately makes the call and sometimes pulls the plug at the last minute. Bantam eggs like to hatch several days earlier then the usual incubation period of 21 days, we have three eggs that pipped (the chick pecked an airhole) already. Little bastards.

Will There Be A Mama Hen This Year?
MAYBE. Right now only 3 banty (small) hens in our flock have gone broody (gone over to the Dark Side and are in killer mama mode). One of them is Darling, a really tiny banty hen, the other two are Brick and Bobo (another uber-tiny hen). Several mama hens would tend to fight over the chicks, so we’d only be able to use one hen for a foster mom. BUT--if all the eggs hatch, there will be too many chicks for one bantam hen, and when this happens mama gets pissy and can peck/hurt the chicks. So if roughly 7 or fewer chicks hatch, YES we can try to introduce a broody hen, if MORE than that hatch, no mama, sorry. Hopefully we can get the kids a foster mom, because watching a mama hen interact with her chicks is a blast. And no, broody hens don’t care if she laid those eggs or not, all she cares about is OMG CHICKS.

What’s With The Missing Sequential Numbers Of Eggs?
I candled (shined a bright light through each egg in a darkened room to see if there was an embryo inside) the eggs 13 days in and removed some duds, that’s why you’ll see a break in the number sequence of the eggs.

In addition to being numbered, each egg is marked with an X on one side and an O on the other, this is for us to keep track of which egg was turned every time we turned the eggs—5 times a day for three weeks, by the way, because I wanted no life other that EGGS for the last three weeks.

What’s Taking So Long?! And ICK!
Patience, little one. When chicks hatch they pip first, then hours later (sometimes up to 24 hours later) start to ‘unzip’ their shell (peck in a line as they rotate in the shell) then finally kick free all at once. It’s hours of waiting with a sudden payoff at the end, but once they start to unzip they can be out of the shell in anywhere from 1 hour, to 20 minutes, to 5 minutes later. And YES, they are icky and slimy and lay around like wet noodles when they first hatch, don’t worry they get cute and fluffy as they dry and get stronger. Also, hatched chicks can be quite rough and step on each other, or flip over onto their backs and have trouble righting themselves—they’ll be okay, no damage is done; so don’t worry. We monitor them carefully and will lend a hand where needed. Ditto for any that require assistance hatching. Once dry and strong we move them and the cam to the brooder box, where mama will be installed overnight if we can use one this year.

I’ll list the eggs that have pipped and hatched here, with their progress and names:

#36—Pipped 4/1 at 11AM--Hatched on 4/2 at 6:30PM, named 'Kana' by eating only apples
#14--Pipped 4/1 at 11PM--Hatched 4/3 at 8AM, named 'Taffy' by ApathyGirl BLUE leg band
#16--Pipped 4/1 at 11PM--Hatched 4/3 at 8AM, named 'Octavius' by Glenn Fawcet PURPLE leg band
#3--Pipped 4/2 at 6PM, Hatched 4/3 at 3PM, named 'Ouzo' by Nutella
#26--Pipped 4/2 at 7PM, Hatched 4/3 at 3PM, named 'Saber' by pretty pinkpansy BLUE food color spots
#28--Pipped 4/2 at 7PM--Hatched on 4/2 at 7:30PM, named 'Moosebaby' by Chernobyl Princess
#35--Pipped 4/2 at 7PM--Hatched on 4/3 at 3:30PM, named 'Biscuit' by Velvet Sparrow GREEN food color spots
#5--Pipped 4/3 at 12P--Hatched on 4/4 at 12:30AM, named 'Harvey' by my cat is norris
#17--Pipped 4/3 at 12P--Hatched on 4/3 at 10:30PM, named 'Sybil Disobediance' by Primpin and Pimpin

And because we are suckers, on 4/9 we got 4 chicks from the feed store:
All are the same age as our chicks, except for Jonesy, who is 2 weeks old.
Jonesy – Feed store buff Orpington chick, two weeks old. Large buff chick, no foot feathers.
Spork – Feed store Dominique chick, dark with a white head spot, no foot feathers.
Slick Charlie – Feed store partridge Rock chick, reddish-brown, fuzzy, no foot feathers.
Nyx – Feed store Midnight Majesty Marans chick, dark with foot feathers. (although I will forever call this breed a Midnight Marauder)

BTW—please keep the YouTube chat CLEAN. Lots of kids watch Chickam every year, likely moreso this year than ever. We have zero tolerance for over-the-top bad language, racism, hate or other things of that nature and will kick & ban anyone not being a decent human being.

NOW FOR THE BEST PART: YOU GUYS GET TO NAME THE CHICKS!
Post your name suggestions here, ONE per Goon, please screw that this year, we've got WAY too many chicks pipping. TOSS OUT THOSE NAME SUGGESTIONS!--be advised we already have chickens named things like ‘Dinner’, ‘Burger’, etc.--so use your imagination and give us some good/weird/fun chicken names! These are CHICKENS after all, and should have silly names. As each chick hatches we will draw a name for it out of a hat!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
All I see is eggs. The world is full of lies...

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Yay, Chickam!

I'm voting for Spartacus for the next one hatched

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
omg there's a hatchening happening!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lil mans already hatchin

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Woof Blitzer posted:

All I see is eggs. The world is full of lies...

#25 is about to pop out.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Please name one of the chicks JuicyFruit tia

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Neptune for my favourite banty Brahma who died last year

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I vote for the name Mango Chutney.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#25 should pop out any minute! #36 is unzipping, and should be after that. Several other chicks are enlarging their pips.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Aw yea time for chickens

Jamiroquai is my name for the year

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
name one Gorgax The Devourer

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 2, 2021

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Chickam is the blessed content we need.

#25 taking a well-deserved break, hang in there lil' chick.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like the chick-cam

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

For like the fourth year in a row, throwing SpaceCop into the ring for a chick name.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Professor Tuberville

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Name a chick Martian Manhunter, please.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So many eggs this year!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
*cheeps* cheeps for cheap!

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

I just want to express my enthusiasm for Chickam :neckbeard:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I think Guy Bawks would be a good name for a chicken.

Prof. Crocodile fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 3, 2021

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Will any of them be named Gretchen? I had a chicken once named Gretchen and a raccoon ate her head.
It’s a good name for a friendly chicken I think

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Let's name a gorgeous chicken Julietta.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Hell yea! Name one “Dee” (as in chickadee)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Caldera seems like a good name.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
My six year old is watching and would like one named Bear-Bear, after her teddy.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

We had a 'Bear'--our Head Hen for many years. And we had a 'Juliet'.
And I'd think 'Anne Boleyn' might be fitting for a headless chicken...?

Also, #25 has been mooning the cam for like 20 minutes now.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 2, 2021

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
In that case, her kitty is named Ruby.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

I'd like to suggest Runce Buggins. Really excited for new and improved Chickam this year. :3:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Then I withdraw my pick and substitute Bawks Lunch instead if that works.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
First time catching Chickam as it happens! I think I'll curse one of the chicks with the name Pat Boivin.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It looks like the chick currently hatching is wearing part of shell as a hat :3:

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I like that they keep mouthing off even as they just lay there

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Dana Katherine Scully would be a good name I think

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Birds from eggs, I'm sure. Special effects.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
there was a bird in there :catstare:

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
She's so angry about being abducted that she immediately starts kicking the egg next to her

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Imagine being born only to have a giant hand descend from above to take your house away.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

25 took so long that the membrane had dried out and shrink-wrapped her a bit. Once I loosened it she popped right out into the kid's hand...and pooped on her.
Going by the looks of her, she is at least half Brahma!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
#25 is alive and ready to get out there and sing