Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
If there's one thing I've gotten from a decade+ of Chickam, it's that the "CHICKEN IN TROUBLE"/"HEY DON'T STEP ON ME"/"SOMEBODY IS BEING A BUTT" chirp that the babies do sets off parental instincts I assumed I didn't have. My head just whips around whenever I hear it.

Such a bummer about Neptune, I was so happy to see everybody doing so much better this morning, but I guess she missed that bus by that much :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yeah, that distressed peep is distinctive! And these chicks are SO very round they roll over easily. There will be loads of peeping today, we're vaccinating them. Afterward expect them to look low for the rest of the day, but they'll get mealworms and a grassy dirt clod as a bribe.

It's clearly a good day for vaccines, I had to head out to get mine after the first few chicks had gotten theirs. Great news, little ones, we're ~hEaLTh BudDiEz~ now

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Wait, this is the thirteenth Chickam -- I think the problem has been staring us in the face the whole time..

I still worry whenever I see Chicken Boo breathing like a bellows, but we're at a point, hopefully. It's great whenever one of the chicks realizes that she's been singled out by The Hand(s), or when one of several of them streeeeeetches out a leg behind them for no apparent reason, or when two of them start mirroring each other.

eating only apples posted:

There've been hard years in the past, VS. Sometimes it was the kids dying later, sometimes it was babies dying right after hatching, or in the days after. I remember so many who died as babies or young birds. They all had the best life possible. This one has been particularly rough though and I hope you all are doing okay through it. I hope you know that nothing about this was your fault. You do your absolute best for these guys and give them the happiest life imaginable. I'm so sorry that this is happening.

Definitely, they're always warm and cared-for until their end, they've been safe from the outside, and you're doing all you can, VS.

(I was scared it was going to turn out the hay had been treated somehow, instead of the flamingo or the cardboard or whatever it was. What a nightmare.)

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 9, 2021

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I had the poor fortune to see Chicken Boo's last moments tonight. The other chicks look much more robust, at least.

Arrrrrrrgh, I feel like I cursed her now :( But I guess it was the way it was meant to go.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

I really like Jonesy's gravitas; all these roosters are bumping chests because they think they're bad boys, but she just walks on by, or through, like they're miles beneath her.

And then she drops a load on the ground like some kind of animal, but hey.