Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Jaxyon posted:

But I mean, whatever you have to do try and make the Ayn Rand comparison work
All they have to do is read the books, OP.

I like Jemisin's prose and I've read most of her stuff except the new NYC book, but the Fifth Season absolutely lends itself to readings most goons would find politically problematic. No one has to read the books that way, of course, but the books support that reading very well, it's one of the problems that comes with setting up a series of novels in conversation with the Dragon Age video games (source for the Dragon Age claim). Which was carefully elucidated in the Bonfire thread two times.

None of this is to say that liking Jemisin's writing makes you a counter-revolutionary or anything, or that the holy writ of praxis demands you memory-hole these books. I like her writing and need to pick up the new book I haven't gotten yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Jaxyon posted:

What you and people are fundamentally saying, when you say that the power levels undercut any sort of story of oppression, is that if you're scared enough of someone's agency then the oppression is at some level justified.

You're not saying the slavery, rape, child abuse, segregation etc are undercutting the story. You're saying the character's agency is. Which means you believe at some level that those things are justified by the danger you perceive form those it is happening to.

Those things are never justified.

So now we're saying that the story she wrote undercuts her message because you can't help rewriting it so that the people that scare you are the oppressors?

That the only thing keeping them from doing so is the "torture oubliette" which is now justified by your dichotomy?

That's quite a reaction.

You're conflating "agency" with "the ability to destroy towns and cities with a thought"

pseudanonymous posted:

Literally, nobody is saying that or anything even remotely close and I don't know if you're stupid, or a troll, of the Venn diagram is actually just a circle.

Oh yep now it makes sense.