Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think some of these criticisms of the wizard and x-men stuff overlook some simple human aspects. You can have all the power in the world but you can't make people like you and want to genuinely be your friend. A small minority of people with great power could be controlled and manipulated by society over generations based on that simple idea alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Historically, minorities and especially black people have been portrayed a possessing superior physical strength, but lacking intelligence and control. The usage of "natural athlete" as a microagression from Matt Walsh's Nazi in Community springs to my mind here. Playing on that to wizardry seems reasonable to me. There are different kinds of power, and numbers is a kind minorities are at relevant disadvantage In by definition.

I believe they are not all and each strong enough to take out a continent, for that matter. And some of them may have participated in subjugation of their fellows I'm exchange for social perks.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 6, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't think the protagonist is meant to be "better"than anyone. That's weird to me.

I don't think danger justifies hatred either. And I don't think NKJ thinks so. I think you might be getting hung up in the super level 10 wizards when I think many of them are about as dangerous as any idiot in a car in a populated city. But I haven't read in a while.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 7, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ccs posted:

as I said in the example before, it's the difference between crossing the street to get away from someone of a different race, predicated on racist fantasies of danger, and crossing the street to get away from a man with claws coming out of his knuckles. Fantasy stories that give an oppressed group superpowers take the above examples and say "these are the same." The metaphor collapses in on itself from the implications.

The man with claws coming out of his knuckles is merely an armed man, must like any other man in our society may or may not be armed at any time without you realizing. You may think the fear more rational, but that isn't obviously true.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ccs posted:

No it’s saying that unlike racism, which is predicated on fiction, these stories introduce deadly magical powers and give them to a particular group.

I don't even know what to say.

But every mutant isn't Jean Grey or a 10 ringer. Why this false premise to justify the fear?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ccs posted:

As opposed to real world oppression where a powerless group is enslaved] and then the oppressors start to get nervous

Seems a bit contradictory and I think it's just fundamentally incorrect to call them "powerless".

I kind of understand when you your coming from but doing harrison bergeron over and over sounds boring.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 8, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
how are you measuring 'legitimacy' of fear?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Please expand on "problematic implications."

I can think of plenty of stories about perfectly ordinary people who go too far and cross lines on their quest for vengeance

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Laws about when and where guns or superpowers should be fired are reasonable. Camps for anyone who won't or can't disarm aren't.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What kind of control as people are we talking about, exactly? People are controlled as people pretty often. Criminal suspects are often arrested and printed and later found not guilty.

The line where not crosses into oppression and abuse is not always obvious, which is why the fictional examples often are rather extreme

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The power dynamics argument seems a little off to me because people who are physically and intellectually advantaged already exist but aren't collectively dominating society as elites, whatever our current elites may tell themselves.

I have no need with being sick of the trope, I just don't think it's all that problematic.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 8, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't agree with that, because specific kinds of individual advantage don't cleanly translate to social and political power.

Suggesting that it only 'wotks' when wizards are oppressing muggles seems more problematic to me, as a silly nazi reader will smugly nod to himself that his kind deserve to rule just like the fantasy wizards. Maybe we should just give up on metaphor. :shrug:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"heroic genocide"

Did we read the same book?

Is it necessary for him to be killed and someone say "he was bad and deserved this because of the genocide, which was bad" for you to understand that it was not being condoned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh no did you actually read rand