Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
hey Smythe what’s cookin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Smythe posted:

my office is polycom and yealink fyi

a friend set up asterisk and a bunch of us got cheap Avaya 9640G phones and joined it

it’s silly fun, especially in seeing just what the Avaya system will let us do

it’s also bridged to SDF’s system, which has games and stuff

another friend got a cheap Obihai POTS/VOIP interface and hacked it to join our system as an adapter for his oldschool rotary phone

there are also a couple things available via modem

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hbag posted:

quick give me cool ideas for lovely web toys to make for the forums
i will work on them alongside my badges

a forums authentication provider

say I want to prove I own the forums account eschaton

I create an account in your app, tell it my forums username is eschaton, and it gives me some derived hash to put on my profile

I put the hash on my profile and tell your app “ok, verify me,” now it knows the app account and the forums account are related—and I didn’t actually have to give you or anyone else any “real” info about myself

and your app can act as an OAuth provider that confirms my forums identity

so if someone makes some other app for forums peeps, they can just use an OAuth flow for a “forums login identifier” such as https://forums-auth.hbag.com/eschaton (or whatever your app server and domain is)

now that other person’s app can trust it’s being used by forums poster eschaton and not someone pretending to be me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

project idea: make your sig be a dynamically generated word cloud of your post history

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hbag posted:

i dont think checking the transparency of a pixel at most 32,400 times is very efficient
ill give it a try

computers are very, very, very fast

like if you use an image processing library something like this should be fully vectorized and just fly

what do you want to use this for anyway

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

fart simpson posted:

pro tip: if you use a statically typed compiled language you’ll encounter this more often imo

it’ll just be so much pain to write in the first place that you’ll decide to do something else

op use Lisp not Haskell

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rotor posted:

hbag, are you familiar with nntp

I love you too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

see you in September starts playing in the background

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hbag you should build the forums authenticator and then use it to write an NNTP gateway for the forums on top of papercut

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hbag posted:

i thought putting loops inside loops was a bad idea
this part of the code is already in a while loop, sticking a for loop in it is gonna be 2 loops

real software is nothing but loops in loops all the way down

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

you're unbelievable

the things you say

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hbag you should compile the VAX 8600 emulator from SIMH and then install VMS in that, it’ll be really informative to experience what some non-Windows non-UNIX environments are like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

train them to fyad or train them to the pos, one or the other but not both