Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Hi there, GWS!!

I have never posted in here before which is funny because back when I was an unregistered lurker 10-12 years ago I spent more time browsing this sub than anywhere else. Anyhow, I made chicken tikka masala for dinner tonight and I took pictures and wanted to share the recipe with you.

Okay, to start off I let the chicken marinate in the juice of half a lemon and some salt. It was a small lemon, anymore lemon juice than that and it will be overpowering. The tub with the dried whole spices contains cumin and coriander seeds, cloves, bay leaves, half a cinnamon stick, peppercorns, yellow mustard seeds, green cardamoms and a pinch of fenugreek. I generally don't measure things and just eyeball it.

First step, simmer those onions down until translucent. Toast the whole spices in high heat in a seperate dry pan.

The spices don't take long to toast, about 30-45 seconds or so. I just add them to the onions which are gently frying on a much lower heat. Once it's done turn the heat up and add the chilli, garlic and ginger.

Once that's done I add the turmeric. I'm always careful to remember this step because I've forgotten a few times.

Make sure the turmeric isn't dry and all fried up with everything else. Move everything to the sides of the pot and plop the tomato puree in the middle. Fry for a minute or two to remove some of the tartness. You wanna turn up the heat for this.

Now I add the chopped tomatoes, I usually rinse the carton out with a little bit of hot water and add it too. Tomatoes need sugar but not too much. For this I use 1-2 teaspoons of caster suger.

Let that all cook together for a while and let those flavours get to know each other - 20 minutes is good. Now blitz it - notice how I took it off the heat and I moved to the laundry room to do this. You may want to remove the cinnamon stick. If you do this while it's on a hot hob be prepared to get sauce everywhere. It bubbles and spits like hot lava. I've done it on the hob before and found sauce on the ceiling after.

Now I add the chicken. Put it back on the hob and bring it up to a simmer. Depending on how big the chunks of chicken are it should be done in anywhere between 10-20 minutes.

Almost done, just need the finishing touches. I'm using thick greek yoghurt which I stirred a heaped teaspoon of cornflour into. The cornflour will stop the sauce from separating. Below that I'm melting some butter which I will fry the garam masala in.

When I was taking these pics I forgot that I had only two hands and my phone is in one of those leather pockets that doesn't come off. I might have burnt it while I was fumbling around :(. Eh, tasted fine.

Stir everything up and make sure everything is well combined. Serve on top of rice with naan. I had no coriander (cilantro for you americans) which usually I would sprinkle on top.

Dinner is served!

Wait a minute, what is that idiot drunken brother of mine doing!?

:argh:

It gets worse, he took the lions share of chicken and did this with it. That's loving mozarella cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I tried making this and now I have AIDS ): Next time I would use cilantro -- ★★☆☆☆