Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
What really bothered me about Gladiator was that we never found out if the numidian guy was a hunter or a salt miner. They could've made him kill someone with a bow or a pickaxe for some closure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Also it would've been nice if the coach had realized the error of his regressive views about gay giraffes before his death

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's up there with Polar Express and Mars Needs Moms for weird poo poo people were doing with CGI about fifteen years ago because they thought it was the future and instead created uncanny rear end poo poo.

It's all Robert Zemeckis' fault. He thought the tech was the future because its endgame was to procedurally generate new, authentic looking performances by actors without their further involvement, so long as it had enough footage\data of them moving their bodies to go off of. So you get Jim Carey to flail around in front of a green screen for a day and afterwards you never need him again, except maybe to read lines. Hubris at the intersection of boomer and tech company lust for immortality.
--
This fat Crowe thread reminded me that he did a movie about having road rage and it looked like a real fun mess.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Spinz posted:

Russell is a fox in it though, the hair is fantastic the beard nice big beefy guy but not muscle bound ridiculous

Scum in real life though we've learned

i apply the john lennon rule. john lennon beat pregnant women and might have even beaten a guy to death for coming on to him, but he is a beloved symbol of peace. russell crowe got in a few altercations and threw a telephone at someone once. he's fine.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

That seems like a bad rule, dude

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if you liked "master and commander" you might like british made-for-tv-series "hornblower"

POR LA ROI!!!!

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 14, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

GolfHole posted:

if you liked "master and commander" you might like british made-for-tv-series "hornblower"

POR LA ROI!!!!

...no. No I don't think so. Ever. Thank you. No. lol.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

lol

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

GolfHole posted:

POR LA ROI!!!!

He really looks like he's about to blow somebody's horn.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i should have posted a better picture maybe but its not my job to horn blows, here (yet)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

POR LA ROI!!!!

wow, i didn't know scott auckerman had such a distinguished acting career

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

GolfHole posted:

i should have posted a better picture maybe but its not my job to horn blows, here (yet)

Don't sell yourself short, that guy really looks like he enjoys blowing horns.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm more of a hornsucker

edit: born2horn

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

we're never going to get any more age of sail media made if i cant even get people to watch hornblower, the pinnacle age of sail movie / book series that spawned all of the others including master and commander and star trek

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The film about Noah's ark from a few years back was pretty good if I recall.
I also enjoyed his fat angry driver man movie

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

GolfHole posted:

we're never going to get any more age of sail media made if i cant even get people to watch hornblower, the pinnacle age of sail movie / book series that spawned all of the others including master and commander and star trek

How much of it is actually filmed on ships? Since it was made for TV I assume they didn't have a great budget, so is it like Black Sails where 90% of the time they're on land or interior ship sets?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i know it was only back in 2003 but i really wonder what would happen if they did that movie today. i just don't see current audiences going for it.

Why? (I haven’t seen it)

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019
More like Russell Let Himself Go

Also

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

2021 will see the long awaited far side of the world sequel in Master and Commander: Ballast

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Trying to think up something for Faster And Commander as in he should 'fast' to lose weight, etc but I got nothing

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bula Vinaka posted:

no one has mentioned the time he played rick astley in virtuosity

You also get to see his Astley and a bit of his Rick.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Bula Vinaka posted:

Russell Crowe

Would

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

GolfHole posted:

Me when I look in the bathroom mirror every morning as part of my 2 hour daily warm up followed by open palm slamming a VHS of Hornblower into the VHS and right then and there start shouting Captain Pellew's speeches alongside with the main character, Horatio Hornblower. I shout every line and I shout every line loud. Makin whooshing sounds when I broadside some frog bastards or even when get quarantined at sea for three months because of suspected bubonic plague. Not many can say they served as a midshipman aboard HMS Indefatigable. I can. I say it and I say it out loud everyday to people in my college class and all they do is prove people in college class can still be immature jerks. And I've learned all the speeches and I've learned how to make myself and my apartment less lonely by shouting them all. 2 hours including wind down every morning. Because A FRENCHMAN IS STILL A FRENCHMAN AND WE SHALL BEAT HIM AS WE HAVE ALWAYS BEATEN HIM, FOR THERE IS NO FORCE ON EARTH WHICH CAN WITHSTAND THE MIGHT OF THE ROYAL NAVY! GOD SAVE THE KING!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bula Vinaka posted:

no one has mentioned the time he played rick astley in virtuosity

That film would be great if it didn't have Denzel Washington's character in it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Making like three okay films and living off that then just chilling out seems like the loving life. I remember people used to poo poo on that picture of fat, happy Val Kilmer, as if any of them were in "Heat".

Also has anyone said "Master and Commander: The Fat side of the World" yet?

Just looking at his filmography."The Thicc and the Dead", "A Good Year (blimp)" and "Robin Food" are all funny.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 20, 2021

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I never thought I'd see someone fatter in track pants than Ricky during the seasons that he let himself go.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

funny thing is in the books dr. maturin is always calling captain aubrey a fat gently caress. and he loves to eat. always tries to have two breakfasts, loves his puddings, favorite dish is soused hogs face. aubrey probably would be that fat if he wasn't always getting wounded or shipwrecked.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
more like Russell Crouton

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Dudes really gotta tug that gut around all over. I'd rather have a boat do that for me.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

Trying to think up something for Faster And Commander as in he should 'fast' to lose weight, etc but I got nothing

Elastic Band Expander

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

A CRAB IRL posted:

Me when I look in the bathroom mirror every morning as part of my 2 hour daily warm up followed by open palm slamming a VHS of Hornblower into the VHS and right then and there start shouting Captain Pellew's speeches alongside with the main character, Horatio Hornblower. I shout every line and I shout every line loud. Makin whooshing sounds when I broadside some frog bastards or even when get quarantined at sea for three months because of suspected bubonic plague. Not many can say they served as a midshipman aboard HMS Indefatigable. I can. I say it and I say it out loud everyday to people in my college class and all they do is prove people in college class can still be immature jerks. And I've learned all the speeches and I've learned how to make myself and my apartment less lonely by shouting them all. 2 hours including wind down every morning. Because A FRENCHMAN IS STILL A FRENCHMAN AND WE SHALL BEAT HIM AS WE HAVE ALWAYS BEATEN HIM, FOR THERE IS NO FORCE ON EARTH WHICH CAN WITHSTAND THE MIGHT OF THE ROYAL NAVY! GOD SAVE THE KING!

*extremely styles voice* sir..?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
"310lbs to yum cha"
"30 odd foot of gunt"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

More like... Robust Cronut eater

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

He’s fat

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Lmao

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

still?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I aimlessly opened this thread without taking much notice of the title and then when I saw this I thought it was Zach Galifianakis and that he’d put on weight

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fat Galifinapkins

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
gently caress it, Nick Cave's Gladiator 2 script ideas were insane anyway so let's go all in and have Chonky Russ put on his Maximus leathers again. Fat man fighting throughout the ages of human history for all eternity, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wifi Toilet posted:

How much of it is actually filmed on ships? Since it was made for TV I assume they didn't have a great budget, so is it like Black Sails where 90% of the time they're on land or interior ship sets?

For a twenty-odd year old TV series, it still holds up pretty well, there's plenty of seafaring stuff - it's not like it's 5 minutes on board then entirely an episode of Sharpe until hopping back in the boat again at the end. But the stories themselves aren't exclusively at sea either, there's always a bit of pootling about French forts, attending court martials, island escapades, etc.