Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think they would have announced it unless they had already gotten a few things like that out of the way, assuming they even did them. typically things like this aren't announced if they then more or less plan to tell people to gently caress off and wait for a couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They could've also just asked Araki for his scouting notes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

i was curious and looked it up to remind myself, but the part 4 anime was announced late october of 2015 and started airing the beginning of april 2016. part 5 was announced in late june of 2018 and started airing in early october of 2018. unless there's something huge that gets in the way i guess we can expect 6 to start sometime this year. hopefully we'll get some more info in the next month or so.

They had an episode of Vento already ready for private airing shortly after announcement so that series was probably unusually far ahead of an orthodox production schedule, which isn't something I would expect to be the case with Covid being a thing.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Tokyo just declared another state of emergency so workflows will probably be impacted.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Now I know it's coming, I want david to take just as long as they want to give Jolyne the anime she deserves.

Not knowing if was the hard bit. It's going to be a beautiful event. The pinnacle of humankind maybe.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixrje2rXLMA

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doz1QJ7LwjA

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've only just watched the pilot of Golden Winds and holy moly it's already so much better (and more bizarre) than parts 3 and 4. For one thing it looks absolutely gorgeous.

stev fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 29, 2021

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

stev posted:

I've only just watched the pilot of Golden Winds and holy moly it's already so much better (and more bizarre) than parts 3 and 4. For one thing it looks absolutely gorgeous.

this will continue to permeate through the next three parts.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I feel like Vento Aureo peaks early, personally, as opposed to Diamond is Unbreakable gradually building up momentum as it goes along. It does look great, though!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I really liked a lot of parts of Vento Aureo (good stands, good characters, good fights) but it never quite pulled together for me in the end the way DIU did. I think a lot of it is that I just did not care about Diavolo. Maybe it'll go over better on a second viewing, I'm waiting for Netflix to pick up the dub.

Also my favourite thing about JoJo is that the palette could go absolutely apeshit at any time. I like a lot of colour work in shows, some shows get really into colours and lighting and stuff, but sometimes Jojo will just be like "TIME FOR PURPLE" and all you can do is deal with it. Diamond is Unbreakable decided that the sky was going to be yellow by default and just rolled with it.

I have a very nebulous awareness of Stone Ocean though I've seen, like, three panels of it in total and I am very excited to get to know Jolyne I hear her Stand is completely bananas and that's what I'm here for.
Also more female characters in battle manga woo

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I was sifting through pt 5 reactions vids and Kraftwerk was such an obvious protag stand that it makes Fugo getting the Genocide Murder Write Me Out of the Show Punchman even more glaring. That stand had some serious combo applications that could've taken the burden off Giorno and let him do more than slipping random animals made of bodyparts and weapons to people on the sly

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was written out because araki had originally planned to have him betray the group and then decided to just have him leave instead.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I still feel the ciocolatta fight would have been 100x more impactful if it was fugo instead. We'd have to balance "whoa 7 pages muda is cool" with "oh gently caress giorno is murdering the gently caress out of fugo" plus having him be a judas would fit perfectly with all the christian imagery he was playing with for the whole part

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

araki straight up got sad about the idea of having fugo betray them and decided against doing it, so it's why the leadup to the coliseum is something that fugo could have been perfectly slotted into in some form or another in place of green day and he just kind of disappears for the rest of the part instead

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Of all the character deaths to get cold feet on

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Fugo's screen time mostly consisted of participating in a funny dance one time, being told how smart and angry he is (despite Narancia already being shown to be the one who goes ape poo poo at the drop of a hat) and a single stand fight he was only partially involved in because of his rabid garbage villain stand so he'd still need to be heavily retooled for any sort of betrayal arc's poignancy to not feel forced or tepid. Having him be responsible (doesn't have to be the killing blow since a fight of that scale would still necessitate a Secco type partner stand) for Narancia's death at least would probably go a long way if you were going to leave everything pre King Crimson as is and swap Green Day out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
IMO Araki made the right choice with Fugo because it's a way to play up just how scary the idea of going against the boss is, that even someone with a power that can just murder anything around him is like "oh hell no, are you guys crazy, gently caress that."

It'd be cool if we could get an adaptation of purple haze feedback though.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

FirstAidKite posted:

IMO Araki made the right choice with Fugo because it's a way to play up just how scary the idea of going against the boss is, that even someone with a power that can just murder anything around him is like "oh hell no, are you guys crazy, gently caress that."

It'd be cool if we could get an adaptation of purple haze feedback though.

nah we definitely need a 5th rohan ova

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've said it before but we'll literally never get an animated purple haze feedback since they would kind of have to straight up create everything themselves, visually. also i dunno how that would all work out, legally, since it's a light novel that wasn't written by araki. not that it wouldn't be possible to secure the ability to go with it, just that it would probably involve way more effort on every front than a bunch of executives and animators might want to gently caress with. i'd be glad to eat my words but realistically the rohan one-shots will probably be extent of side stuff we see.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll try to give a poo poo about side content being adapted or not once steel ball run is over.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'll try to give a poo poo about side content being adapted or not once steel ball run is over.

And a few non-spoiler-y part 6 memes (spoiled anyway just in case Jolyne's relationship with Jotaro is a spoiler for some reason)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

YggiDee posted:

I really liked a lot of parts of Vento Aureo (good stands, good characters, good fights) but it never quite pulled together for me in the end the way DIU did. I think a lot of it is that I just did not care about Diavolo.

See I had the exact opposite reaction. Diavolo’s whole two-souls-in-one-body thing made him a lot more intriguing to me as a villain, although one of my parents having actual DID and my only just having learned about it less than a year before the Part 5 anime first aired on Toonami probably played a big role in that.

Also his dub voice is :perfect:

YggiDee posted:

Maybe it'll go over better on a second viewing, I'm waiting for Netflix to pick up the dub.

Good call, the dub is VERY GOOD and Kellen Goff straight-up loving KILLS it as Diavolo. Every single time that man opens his mouth is like hot sonic chocolate being poured into your face. I could seriously listen to that voice read the phone book :allears:

And speaking of sexual chocolate, Ciocolatta’s dub is voiced by Bill Butts, a man whose first and last name is Bill Butts, and his voice is also excellent and he hams it up just the right amount and also he looks exactly like you’d expect a man whose name is Bill Butts to look in real like and that is also awesome and makes his voice that much more special.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 30, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

I was sifting through pt 5 reactions vids and Kraftwerk was such an obvious protag stand that it makes Fugo getting the Genocide Murder Write Me Out of the Show Punchman even more glaring. That stand had some serious combo applications that could've taken the burden off Giorno and let him do more than slipping random animals made of bodyparts and weapons to people on the sly

It's a shame, because the Kraftwerk guy wasn't even evil. He just wanted to build rank in the mafia.

At least he lives. Only to immediately die in the Fugo novel.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I still feel the ciocolatta fight would have been 100x more impactful if it was fugo instead. We'd have to balance "whoa 7 pages muda is cool" with "oh gently caress giorno is murdering the gently caress out of fugo" plus having him be a judas would fit perfectly with all the christian imagery he was playing with for the whole part

That and it'd be an instance of Gold Experience being stacked against a power-type Stand that was absolutely stronger than it, even without the effect.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've said it before but we'll literally never get an animated purple haze feedback since they would kind of have to straight up create everything themselves, visually.

I don't really understand how this is such an impossible feat. I am pretty certain there are drawings of any of the main purple haze feedback characters and stands and david production is an animation studio, filling in between panels and drawing new stuff is kinda what they're expected to do. It isn't like they make motion comics.

Also, still peeved the anime dub de-gayed Cioccolata

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

YggiDee posted:

I really liked a lot of parts of Vento Aureo (good stands, good characters, good fights) but it never quite pulled together for me in the end the way DIU did.

See I don't feel like DIU came together at all. For the entire run they were almost exclusively fighting randos who'd been hit with the arrow, and the final plot only came into focus in the last few episodes. And even then it barely utilized the majority of the characters and left a huge number of threads dangling without resolution. It all felt very written on the fly with no planning or forethought.

Compared to the first three parts - where every character got a big moment in the finalé and most of them went down swinging - it all felt a bit unsatisfying. And not to get too GRRM about it but it was very weird to me that no major characters died when the antagonist was a literal serial killer - especially since the series up to that point is so unrestricted about letting characters die when it makes sense for them to. I get that the series intentionally has much lower stakes than the previous ones but yeah.

Maybe I'm an outlier since I always hear people rave about how much better the series gets as it goes along, but for me so far I've liked each part a little bit less than the one before it. As I say part 5 feels much more promising so far though.

stev fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 30, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like that JoJo sometimes does and sometimes doesn't massacre the cast at the end. Keeps you on your toes

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I kinda appreciated one round where all of my favourite characters didn't die. But that's the glory of Jojo, there's a part for everyone.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Part 5 is my favorite so far because of the setting and awesome fights/stands. But the DIU episode with the chef is still my favorite JoJo's ever, I like expectations being broken every once in a while.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Someone punch-a my spaghet!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Someone punch-a my spaghet!

I love how that became one of Josuke's iconic poses.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

stev posted:

See I don't feel like DIU came together at all. For the entire run they were almost exclusively fighting randos who'd been hit with the arrow, and the final plot only came into focus in the last few episodes. And even then it barely utilized the majority of the characters and left a huge number of threads dangling without resolution. It all felt very written on the fly with no planning or forethought.

Compared to the first three parts - where every character got a big moment in the finalé and most of them went down swinging - it all felt a bit unsatisfying. And not to get too GRRM about it but it was very weird to me that no major characters died when the antagonist was a literal serial killer - especially since the series up to that point is so unrestricted about letting characters die when it makes sense for them to. I get that the series intentionally has much lower stakes than the previous ones but yeah.

Maybe I'm an outlier since I always hear people rave about how much better the series gets as it goes along, but for me so far I've liked each part a little bit less than the one before it. As I say part 5 feels much more promising so far though.

I legitimately love that Jojo having different parts gives everyone different things that they love and that such a wide range of opinions and tastes can coexist in the same story.

I could not disagree more with this, I think despite some cool things Part 5 is pretty much my least favourite part, whereas I love Part 4 the most out of anything we've seen so far. Part 5 just feels like a procession of meaningless fights that don't really cohere well with a nonsensical ending and a bunch of cool protagonists saddled with the worst Jojo.

If this were a normal manga I'm sure part 4 for you and part 5 for me would kind of sour the manga as a whole, even if just a little, but I can mentally silo each part separately and just enjoy them as different things.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hopefully one day the anime will reach my favorite part

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i have faith that sbr will triumph over the notorious anime horse dilemma.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

hopefully one day the anime will reach my favorite part

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Steel Ball Run anime is all I want in this world

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

stev posted:

I can agree that Okuyasu felt very underutilized to the point that it's a common fanbase interpretation that "Haha, Okuyasu is a dumbass who doesn't know how to use his Stand" when there are multiple instances where that isn't true. Heck, Okuyasu saves Josuke from instantly dying twice in the final battle. Koichi doesn't really get to do a whole lot after he gets Act II either, which only makes is acquisition of Act III all the stranger. And I wish Yukako had gotten to do more, but that's just my personal like of the character.

That said, I feel like they each got a fair amount of things to do (Yukako aside), as compared to Abbacchio or Fugo, who both just kinda felt like they were there in VA for long stretches of time. Moreso the latter than the former, who notably disappears into thin air right before Ghiaccio attacks!

As DiU goes on the whole, it was likely written on the fly with uncertainty by Araki. There's no focal villain after DIO dies, so Araki's just trying some new things by having some dumb kids abuse their superpowers. Then he thinks on a main villain and basically goes with the idea of a teenager who never grew out of that selfish mindset of using their powers for gain at the expense of others and makes Kira. I think DiU has a few weak spots here and there, but I'd say it's pretty thematically consistent on the whole. And the cast is pretty great, too, particularly when you get to see them in their downtime. It made the Part 5 cast feel weaker to me because I never really felt like we ever get to see them in their downtime. By the end, it felt to me like their Stands were the bigger focuses of their character than their characters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite part of diu is how josuke would simply hang out with his buds.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one of my favorite things about the series is when characters get to gently caress around and do stupid poo poo and parts 4 and 7 are pretty good about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Josuke meets a guy who can transform into whatever he wants, and his first thought was "I should use him to scam Rohan". Stuff like that is why part 4 is the best.