Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was curious and looked it up to remind myself, but the part 4 anime was announced late october of 2015 and started airing the beginning of april 2016. part 5 was announced in late june of 2018 and started airing in early october of 2018. unless there's something huge that gets in the way i guess we can expect 6 to start sometime this year. hopefully we'll get some more info in the next month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think they would have announced it unless they had already gotten a few things like that out of the way, assuming they even did them. typically things like this aren't announced if they then more or less plan to tell people to gently caress off and wait for a couple years.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

araki straight up got sad about the idea of having fugo betray them and decided against doing it, so it's why the leadup to the coliseum is something that fugo could have been perfectly slotted into in some form or another in place of green day and he just kind of disappears for the rest of the part instead

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've said it before but we'll literally never get an animated purple haze feedback since they would kind of have to straight up create everything themselves, visually. also i dunno how that would all work out, legally, since it's a light novel that wasn't written by araki. not that it wouldn't be possible to secure the ability to go with it, just that it would probably involve way more effort on every front than a bunch of executives and animators might want to gently caress with. i'd be glad to eat my words but realistically the rohan one-shots will probably be extent of side stuff we see.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hopefully one day the anime will reach my favorite part

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one of my favorite things about the series is when characters get to gently caress around and do stupid poo poo and parts 4 and 7 are pretty good about that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's not important, giorno got a cool power. pay attention to that instead

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given the popularity of part 3, the anime was probably originally greenlit with the explicit intention of working up through the first two parts purely so they could get to stardust crusaders more than anything else, with the other parts we've gotten being a welcome bonus. the studio they had doing the 3d openings were probably commissioned ahead of time for the first 3 parts and then i'm sure it was determined they could cut costs a bit by not bringing them in anymore after that.

then again i could just be blowing smoke, but i feel like it tracks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

heirophant green doesn't take control of people after the initial fight because that is generally not considered a good thing to be doing and i don't know in what situation he would magically be able to stuff his stand into a stand user's mouth in a fight

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think it's hosed up that araki forgot to have kakyoin possess some random passerby like a marionette and run them at the superpowered weirdos they were fighting on a weekly basis

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty confident the painting thing was just a mysterious way to initially hide what hierophant green was capable of before it was fully revealed and not actually some sort of extra ability

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that all said an important thing to keep in mind is that i don't think araki even knew what the gently caress stands were at that point even still so i think it's less him 'forgetting' things and more just him realizing that he was going to have to change stuff on the fly to fit him just scooting along by the seat of his pants while he got busy with making poo poo up entirely for a while

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it has pretty much always made more sense for that to be the latent stand of jonathan's body given how he also said that the vines were meant as a stand representation of ripple power. dio having every single power was only ever just some random rumor from years ago, more or less. also i don't think a sample size of two out of however many stands there ended up being, with one of those two not even remotely functioning the way it does for the character that uses it, hints at some grand, underlying dropped plotline unlike something like fugo getting written out in part 5 instead of coming back as an enemy. and even just going beyond all that i think it loops around again to 'i don't think araki had anything that far planned out and he probably just thought the vines were cool and wasn't thinking too much about stopping time or whatever'.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh, yeah, i guess none of us posted in here about the event but that is most definitely going to be an airdate announcement along with whatever else. part of me thinks it might actually start up this year, maybe. probably very late this year, but still.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for the record, this is going to premiere in an hour and a half from this post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3zWnbFyLo

don't look at the live chat just to avoid people saying random poo poo which may or may not be a spoiler. honestly with no context it'd be rather difficult to take any of it at face value but if you're new to stone ocean just don't look anyways

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the leaks were real, by the way

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

december release date is pretty cool

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's literally no indication of netflix magically dropping the whole season all at once and i don't see how that would even remotely work given the work that goes into making poo poo like this, especially with what will inevitably be like 39 episodes

realistically netflix paid to have early access to it so they could entice people to subscribe so they can experience the episodes 'early' compared to when they'll start airing wherever later on

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't wait for everyone to meet jolyne and agree that she is one of the best jojos

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jotaro had a very important thesis paper to write about starfish and i think we should accept that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have no idea what the plans are once others are able to broadcast it, but until that window is up it seems like netflix basically just purchased the right to get a headstart on airing each weekly episode since they seem to be trying to branch out into more things and going the route of mixing this with making inhouse shows is probably their game plan

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the loss of the weekly anticipation really sucks and i honestly think this binge-watching poo poo is a blight

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

we need to implement strict posting rules for this thread and have it be an instant ban if you talk about further than 1 more episode each week, starting with the first the moment they all release and leading to the second the week after that and so on and so forth. it's the only way we can stay sane in these trying times

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FirstAidKite posted:

Gold Experience is essentially the return of and development on the life-creating properties of ripple and vampirism

ah, so that's why it was boring and unfocused

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part 6 is dope and i'm excited to see people get to experience it and meet jolyne

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

considering that this character you speak of has not showed up yet in the anime, which has not aired at all in the least, i don't have an answer to that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they've had a pretty good track record with not cutting all that much in later parts. 1 and 2 saw some stuff taken out but they were kind of flying through those, anyways. for any small thing that doesn't make it in they tend to also do something neat to change up how things are presented given that they're working with the animated medium now. i'm pretty confident we'll get to see the grand majority, if not basically all of it.

on the flipside, part 3 was stretched out way too loving long, lmao. it's literally shorter than part 4 iirc, manga-wise, but they inserted a lot of junk to fill it out to two full seasons somehow.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

stardust crusaders is artificially padded out to be 48 episodes so if it feels like a bit of a slog it absolutely is. the second season of it is definitely where the meat of a lot of the fun stuff happens. don't push it too much if you're genuinely finding it hard to get through the earlier segments.

following parts in the anime are paced a lot better and actually have episode counts much more fitting to their genuine length

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

probably because that is consistently the one bit that people constantly bring up as hard to get through and universally seem to enjoy all the stuff that comes afterwards, pacing-wise

maybe part of this is because if someone skipped everything between after the first couple episodes until like the last third of the part literally nothing fundamentally changes other than iggy showing up, and even that is summed up by just watching the intro to season 2. stardust crusaders is shorter than part 4 yet they somehow made it 9 episodes longer, lol.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

primarily the way i look at it is if the way to get someone to move ahead and enjoy the entire rest of the series is telling them 'hey maybe skip ahead a little in stardust crusaders and watch the latter sequence of fights and you can revisit the stuff you missed later if you enjoy the rest' then i'm more than willing to do that, because i've basically never once heard similar complaints about anything in later parts

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like you're missing the part where part 4 and onwards are 39 episodes and things tend to actually get wrapped up well instead of a bunch of arbitrary extensions making things 2+ episodes all the time. the part 3 anime specifically has genuine pacing issues. the manga doesn't

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

iirc it was specifically that all the stand needed was even the vaguest shred of doubt, no matter how small, and it could take effect and make things worse

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part 5 has no censoring, it solidly aired in another timeslot and wasn't subject to the same things that hit 3 and 4

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone who is up to date on the manga i get fun out of talking about the cool things the show does to adapt the fights and whatever else because it's neat to see how they pull it off

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a really good op

i can't remember if we've ever gotten an early preview of the op for a season, tho. not complaining, in any case. anime in 3 days!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really enjoy all the intentional visual callbacks to shots from the part 3 openings

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jojo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

pretty much literally the first thing you see in a jojo op is a panel shot of jolyne, yeah

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jolyne is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Aquasnake posted:

So there's just no option for subs without the name changes then I guess. That kinda sucks. Jolyne's stand name doesn't even make sense now.

there are a lot of legal reasons as to why that's a thing and it's not related to netflix and neither is it new to the series