Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

YggiDee posted:

I don't know much about part six, but I know I love Jolyne's hair. And that I will misspell Joylen Jolene Joleen Jojo's name every time I type it.

It's just Jolene, but the first e is a y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Can't loving believe we've got this far guys.

I'm tickled that we've gotten five Jojo series animated and are moving on to a sixth during the writing period of Part 8.

It's going to be surreal for DP to catch up to the manga.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like Vento Aureo peaks early, personally, as opposed to Diamond is Unbreakable gradually building up momentum as it goes along. It does look great, though!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

I was sifting through pt 5 reactions vids and Kraftwerk was such an obvious protag stand that it makes Fugo getting the Genocide Murder Write Me Out of the Show Punchman even more glaring. That stand had some serious combo applications that could've taken the burden off Giorno and let him do more than slipping random animals made of bodyparts and weapons to people on the sly

It's a shame, because the Kraftwerk guy wasn't even evil. He just wanted to build rank in the mafia.

At least he lives. Only to immediately die in the Fugo novel.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I still feel the ciocolatta fight would have been 100x more impactful if it was fugo instead. We'd have to balance "whoa 7 pages muda is cool" with "oh gently caress giorno is murdering the gently caress out of fugo" plus having him be a judas would fit perfectly with all the christian imagery he was playing with for the whole part

That and it'd be an instance of Gold Experience being stacked against a power-type Stand that was absolutely stronger than it, even without the effect.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

stev posted:

See I don't feel like DIU came together at all. For the entire run they were almost exclusively fighting randos who'd been hit with the arrow, and the final plot only came into focus in the last few episodes. And even then it barely utilized the majority of the characters and left a huge number of threads dangling without resolution. It all felt very written on the fly with no planning or forethought.

Compared to the first three parts - where every character got a big moment in the finalé and most of them went down swinging - it all felt a bit unsatisfying. And not to get too GRRM about it but it was very weird to me that no major characters died when the antagonist was a literal serial killer - especially since the series up to that point is so unrestricted about letting characters die when it makes sense for them to. I get that the series intentionally has much lower stakes than the previous ones but yeah.

Maybe I'm an outlier since I always hear people rave about how much better the series gets as it goes along, but for me so far I've liked each part a little bit less than the one before it. As I say part 5 feels much more promising so far though.

I can agree that Okuyasu felt very underutilized to the point that it's a common fanbase interpretation that "Haha, Okuyasu is a dumbass who doesn't know how to use his Stand" when there are multiple instances where that isn't true. Heck, Okuyasu saves Josuke from instantly dying twice in the final battle. Koichi doesn't really get to do a whole lot after he gets Act II either, which only makes is acquisition of Act III all the stranger. And I wish Yukako had gotten to do more, but that's just my personal like of the character.

That said, I feel like they each got a fair amount of things to do (Yukako aside), as compared to Abbacchio or Fugo, who both just kinda felt like they were there in VA for long stretches of time. Moreso the latter than the former, who notably disappears into thin air right before Ghiaccio attacks!

As DiU goes on the whole, it was likely written on the fly with uncertainty by Araki. There's no focal villain after DIO dies, so Araki's just trying some new things by having some dumb kids abuse their superpowers. Then he thinks on a main villain and basically goes with the idea of a teenager who never grew out of that selfish mindset of using their powers for gain at the expense of others and makes Kira. I think DiU has a few weak spots here and there, but I'd say it's pretty thematically consistent on the whole. And the cast is pretty great, too, particularly when you get to see them in their downtime. It made the Part 5 cast feel weaker to me because I never really felt like we ever get to see them in their downtime. By the end, it felt to me like their Stands were the bigger focuses of their character than their characters.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

We were robbed by having Spice Girl only get a single fight in all of Part 5.

And Trish herself was pretty underutilized, considering how nominally central she is to the entire story.

I'm bothered by the fact that we don't even know what happens to Trish after the final battle, even though protecting her was a major objective for 75% of the part.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I also wish they kept doing the 3D openings. Maybe they got too expensive. Or maybe it was just a way of differentiating between the two eras of Joestars?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Between ASB and Eyes of Heaven, I think there were only five voiced characters from Stone Ocean, so I guess it will be a total recast unless they were really keen on one of the other three.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As I recall, the setup was that Shigechi was being stingy with money, but Josuke and Okuyasu agreed that he contributed a decent amount of work and they both should be mature about the situation and relent on the matter. But both of them were wary about him at that point and the situation with the lottery ticket wound up being the straw that broke the camel's back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think it's hosed up that araki forgot to have kakyoin possess some random passerby like a marionette and run them at the superpowered weirdos they were fighting on a weekly basis

Hey, Joseph and Caesar did it. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DIO is the best because he's unashamedly public about the fact that he's a vampire and he still managed to recruit a guy whose superpower was literally just the Sun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Dio is a puppy killer, not a baby killer.

Dio indirectly killed at least one baby.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jotaro's new pants look dumb.

El Burbo posted:

I don’t think I ever realized the dude had such a prominent cod piece until right now.

:yeah:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jolyne's theme sounds fancy. Or, at least, I'm assuming it's Jolyne's theme.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Break your face, that is. :getin:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is there's no Jojo, that poo poo ain't Friday! :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

bobjr posted:

Does that even get a mention in part 4? I think there's a line in the anime right at the start, but that's it.

Nope. I was hoping we'd have a small allusion to that at the end of Part 4, but DP held off on it.

It's the subject of many fan works (and one video game) to have young Jolyne in Morioh.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder why they named the OP after the series this time. Usually it was just adjacent.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I just asked an innocent question. I wasn't even bothered by the fact. :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

"It will be Stone Ocean, cause somehow I'm gonna free myself from this sea of stone."

:sigh:

Same.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, the good thing about episode dumps is that you don't have to wait a week for dud encounters to resolve, I guess?

Like, I love Diamond is Unbreakable, for example, but the Echoes vs. The Lock fight was kinda... ehhhh.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The only thing I thought was the ora ora at the end sounded kinda weak. Otherwise, everything seemed fine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish we got to see Stroheim's final battle with Stalin's Stand. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

I think I'd have liked it more if Stands were an evolution of Hamon, like "learn to control your inner energy and manifest it as a Stand" or sth.

That was the original concept, actually. And, in all honesty, the powers are both fairly adjacent in terms of being life energy related.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gold Experience sucks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I definitely think that, while Jotaro and Giorno are both :geno: personified, Jotaro gets more entertaining moments where you see the veneer crack, whether it's him sharing a laugh with his friends in The Sun arc or just getting really pissed at DIO for being a humongous dick.

With Giorno, it's weird because he goes from being fairly emotive at the start to being increasingly stoic and interacting less with people around him (Trish) as the part goes on.

hooman posted:

Sucks up urine!

:hmmyes:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Shame Kakyoin had to choke in the second round, though. And right after he rejoined the party.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Shame that Spice Girl got a grand total of one fight, especially considering all of the weird poo poo that Araki could have done with “rubberize anything”. Or that Trish didn’t get an “I’m tired of you guys infantilizing me while you put your lives on the line for my sake” moment where she truly becomes a full-time member of Team Bucciratti, instead of a living macguffin.

Trish is just Holly Kujo 2.0.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vento Aureo feels like an attempt at redoing Stardust Crusaders, but I found myself caring about the cast of Part 5 a lot less than Part 3's for some reason, despite the fact that I know Part 3's cast are basically just cardboard cutouts.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regarding the above, Mista survives Vento Aureo, though. Are you thinking of Bruno?

On the topic of Purple Haze Feedback, Fugo ALMOST dies in the novel when he awakens the new form of Purple Haze, but he's healed by Giorno and rejoins Passione.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd find it hard to rank Jojo parts beyond Diamond is Unbreakable being my favorite of what's been shown so far. I guess I'd tentatively say DIU > SC > BT > PB > VA? I'd probably change my mind on the order of some of those tomorrow, though.

Also, I feel Part 1 is rather underrated. True, it has the most boring fights of the series, but it also has a lot of really intimate interpersonal relationship between the main protagonist and antagonist that we haven't really seen since. I also think that Part 1 is Dio at his best, honestly, considering that he changes quite a bit over the course of the story in response to how Jonathan challenges him. While Part 3 DIO is more iconic, he's also a lot more static, mainly being the big monster man that shows up at the end but has a few moments of introspection beforehand.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The anime should've added an alternate ending where Senator Wilson Phillips killed DIO.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Exactly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Skipping Anubis, huh? That's not very cash money of you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like Death XIII was at least a fairly reasonable take on the "I don't believe my friends" thing. Kakyoin keeps trying to attack a baby and insisting it's an assassin. And showing up with a message he carved into his arm definitely makes him look crazy.

Almost every other instance of it in Jojo is really annoying, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 16, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There are some cases where I like the scenes that the Stardust Crusaders anime adds. Suzie Q gets to actually show up in the High Priestess arc! And talk to Jotaro! That's something that wasn't in the manga, and it's pretty nice to see it.

But, at the same time, those added scenes make that episode go from being a fight that could've been resolved in one episode to being two episodes long. I remember finding it weird that The Sun had a whole episode devoted to itself as well, when it could've just been half to three fourths of an episode like Tower of Gray.

I'm kind of bummed by the backlash to that causing later parts to be stuffed into a rigid 39 episodes, though. There are some fun moments that have been getting cut. :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

the forever and alessi episodes are skippable and nothing else.

:colbert:

Honestly, as creepy as Alessi is, I thought his episodes were funny. He's almost Oingo Boingo levels of ineffectual despite having a genuinely overpowered ability.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Everyone forgets about Mark literally five minutes after he dies.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, I see a lot of people joke about how Jotaro almost lost to a rat, but I feel like people ignore the context of how he never actually tried to fight the rat, how it melted him just for trying to catch bullets, and how the second time he was intentionally baiting it into shooting him since Josuke could heal him afterwards.

Also, long range vs. short range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's hard to figure out what is and is not a Jojo reference anymore due to memes.

Like, Demon Slayer has a fighting system that feels like it's based on Hamon, but I'm not entirely sure due to all of the shitposting. :argh: