Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's a ground rule double, if it somehow actually clears the outfield wall without touching the grass then it would still be a ground rule double.

5.05(a)(9)

I hope answering questions is ok.

This would be what I guessed after reading their question.

...what happens in the case of multiple players being involved (assuming there is no intent)?
i.e. Ball is a screamer to the SS who instinctively raises his glove to protect himself. It strikes him pretty far out there, but still within the 250 foot boundary, but the ball remains air-borne and live. It heads out towards left field, where Johnny Doofus, blinded by the sun, starts waving for it. In so doing, he baps it wickedly up and out and into the stands. Johnny was well more than 250 feet out, and the ball was live, but initially struck a player that was within the 'ground rule dbl' range.

..or are we not doing 'almost impossible' hypotheticals?
My own guess would be the ruling is since it first struck someone within the 250 ft range, it's still a ground rule double. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU