Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thisusedyet posted:

Always wondered about this - If a line drive clocks a pitcher and carries into the stands over the dugout, is that a homer or a foul ball?
It's a ground rule double, if it somehow actually clears the outfield wall without touching the grass then it would still be a ground rule double.

5.05(a)(9)

quote:

(9) Any fair fly ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands,or over the fence into foul territory, in which case the batter shall be entitled to advance to second base; but if deflected into the stands or over the fence in fair territory, the batter shall be entitled to a home run. However, should such a fair fly be deflected at a point less than 250 feet from home plate, the batter shall be entitled to two bases only.

I hope answering questions is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

You can swap players mid at bat. Usually it's only done for injury reasons, since it's usually not worth the risk of a new pitcher trying to find their control right away. Working the count is a big part of the rhythm of pitching and players like starting fresh.