Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hello, friends. Welcome to a tradition unlike any other. It's the

https://www.masters.com/index.html

Last year's tournament was delayed to November due to coronavirus. Like that edition, there will be limited patrons and no par 3 contest.

This year's event looks to be quite exciting. Dustin Johnson is defending, Justin Thomas and Bryson DeChambeau have recent wins, and Jordan Spieth just won for the first in 4 years. Rory McIlroy has had some good results this year but he's also missed a couple cuts. Tiger Woods will not be playing as he continues to recover from a serious car crash.

The forecast is uh...

Air Times (ET)
Thu/Fri: ESPN 3-7:30pm
Sat: CBS 3-7pm
Sun: CBS 2-7pm

Marquee Tee Times (Thursday ET)
10:30am Dustin Johnson, Lee Westwood, Tyler Strafaci
10:42am Xander Schauffele, Jon Rahm, Rory McIlroy
1:36pm Adam Scott, Bryson DeChambeau, Max Homa
2:00pm Jordan Spieth, Cameron Smith, Collin Morikawa

Odds (Draftkings as of 10am ET Monday)
Dustin Johnson +950
Bryson DeChambeau +1150
Jordan Spieth +1150
Jon Rahm +1250
Justin Thomas +1250
Rory McIlroy +1900
Patrick Cantlay +2050
Xander Schauffele +2600
Brooks Koepka +2800
Collin Morikawa +3150

Betting Pool
Pick an available player who isn't one of the top 10 betting favorites. Best finisher gets :20bux: from everyone else.

Josh Lyman: Paul Casey
mattfl: Bubba Watson
DJExile: Webb Simpson
daslog: Viktor Hovland
Anno: Patrick Reed
Douchebag: Matt Kuchar
Kirios: Lee Westwood
Daric: Tony Finau
Dr. Capco: Sungjae Im
torgeaux: Si Woo Kim
Mcqueen: Cameron Smith
Big Beef City: Adam Scott
Kameh: Sergio Garcia
Shrapnig: Francesco Molinari
shyduck: Hideki Matsuyama
lloyol: Mackenzie Hughes
BonoMan: Zach Johnson

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gimme Bubba!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lovely weather masters lets loving goooooooo :munch:

gimme uh... [throws dart] Webb Simpson

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'll take Viktor Hovland and I hope his Mom doesn't call him during the tournament.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Need to remember to watch some late night Master’s this weekend.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Please don’t rain. The course looked so nice and firm at the ANWA.

I’ll hedge my emotions a bit and take PReed.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
When we will finally get indoor golf courses so we can avoid weather for events like this? They did it for football and baseball.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Gimme Kuchar.

Even though I don't think he'll ever win a major.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Screw it, he's been money lately. Give me Lee Westwood.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'll take Finau. I don't think he'll ever win another tournament but he's good for a Top 5.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'll take SungJae Im

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Daric posted:

I'll take Finau. I don't think he'll ever win another tournament but he's good for a Top 5.

I propose that whoever wins Daric instead sends a ball marker of their choosing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Si Woo Kim. Taking a flyer.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Kirios posted:

I propose that whoever wins Daric instead sends a ball marker of their choosing.

That could be arranged

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If Daric wins (that's a really good pick, dammit :argh: ) imma send him $20 worth of generic ball markers

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
GO TIGER

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Cam smith for me

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

DJExile posted:

If Daric wins (that's a really good pick, dammit :argh: ) imma send him $20 worth of generic ball markers

I'll take em for sure.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Im taking Cam Smith, ya, but really only so I can follow around a dude who looks like he's off to huff some gas at the turn and pound a 40 to get the fumes out of his mouth.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The only amateurs in the field are the US Am winner and runner-up because there were no other qualifying tournaments last year. :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apparently Rory messed up his swing trying to chase distance like Bryson and he’s been trying to undo it since the Players. Woof.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

2019 PGA Driving distance leaders:
Cameron Champ 317.9
Rory McIlroy 313.5
Luke List 313.3
Bryson 302.5 (T34)

Tour average was 293.9

2020:

Bryson 322.1
Champ 322.0
Ryan Brehm 315.3
Rory 314.0

Tour average 296.4

2021:

Bryson 320.8
Wyndham Clark 319.4
Rory 319.1

Tour average 295.6

In 2018 Rory was #1 at 319.7, aka farther than this year.

I know it's a flawed system because of the limited number of drives they count, people play different schedules which can make a big difference, etc. but I really don't see Rory's driver numbers changing much at all. And I am absolutely amazed he would come out and admit that he let Bryson get in his head when it came to distance whether he feels that's the case or not.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1379411720230334464

Fat Bryson is going rapid fire on the range today

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You know what?

Put me down for an ice cold Adam Scott. It's australian for golf.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Thanks for not picking my boy.

I'm in for Sergio.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Molinari

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/VijaySinghGolf/status/1379514671519109121

haaa

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

...He's gotta gently caress himself up doing that sooner or later

...right?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'll take Matsuyama

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

...He's gotta gently caress himself up doing that sooner or later

...right?

Absolutely.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've only been doing this for a couple of years with y'all but this is the largest field I've seen. Good work goons!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

LOL at Fred Ridley basically giving the finger to golf technology (and maybe to some of the players in a way) for the distances balls are being hit. Saying that while they have plenty of room an ANGC to expand if necessary they don't want to have to expand their course (and no other courses should either) to over 8000 yards to hold a tournament. Asked the other ruling bodies to come up with something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Douchebag posted:

LOL at Fred Ridley basically giving the finger to golf technology (and maybe to some of the players in a way) for the distances balls are being hit. Saying that while they have plenty of room an ANGC to expand if necessary they don't want to have to expand their course (and no other courses should either) to over 8000 yards to hold a tournament. Asked the other ruling bodies to come up with something.

He's not wrong. Long bomber courses definitely do exist (Firestone in Akron comes to mind) but it's not hard to tweak things that nullify guys swinging out of their shoes. You don't have to make every tournament the US Open but making changes like locations of fairway bunkers, firming up or shrinking greens, adding trees, can do plenty to force the bombers to play to what the course is giving them.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Go Spieth or Rory.

Don't go DJ. I mean I have nothing against him but meh

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

C'mon Andrew get in on the betting pool!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

He's not wrong. Long bomber courses definitely do exist (Firestone in Akron comes to mind) but it's not hard to tweak things that nullify guys swinging out of their shoes. You don't have to make every tournament the US Open but making changes like locations of fairway bunkers, firming up or shrinking greens, adding trees, can do plenty to force the bombers to play to what the course is giving them.

I totally agree. He also mentioned that any changes should not impact higher handicap golfers. Seems like they are in a tough position of not wanting to do a Tiger Proof 2.0 reaction to technology and players like Bryson but clearly want to see some changes made.

He also said he was asked by someone about a "Masters Golf Ball" tailored for the course (pretty sure thats what I heard) and he clearly said nope to that.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

e: I just realized I'm not really even going to be able to watch this weekend so count me out. Next time.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 7, 2021

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I have an idea, do nothing because hitting bombs loving owns.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
This is a nicely sized pot and I'll support it by taking good ol' Canadian boy Mackenzie Hughes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Golf may be for the rich but the Masters is very egalitarian