Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
you're wrong about is a show about things people were wrong about (mostly maligned women, moral panics, and other manifestations of our society's failures) hosted by sarah marshall and michael hobbes.

there is an ongoing series within the podcast about OJ Simpson, the famous football man who definitely murdered his wife, that is very extremely good. one off episodes i personally enjoyed include the ones on homelessness, kitty genovese, and the stanford prison experiment. honestly though i think the best way to start listening to this podcast is to go through the archive and look for episodes with interesting topics. the order pretty much doesn't matter unless the episode is in a series.

michael hobbes hosts another podcast which is basically the health version of this show called maintenance phase and sarah marshall hosts another podcast about fatherhood expressed in movies called why are dads emotions and pop culture called you are good. i have not heard either of them very much but they could also be good to discuss in this thread.

Hustle Hound fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I feel bad, because I've basically cherry picked episodes for OJ Simpson content and am just now working through the rest of their actual stuff. A lot of the subject matters seem like major bummers, though (I noped out of the Matthew Shepard episode, for example), though I liked the PMRC series. Any tip on where to start?

EDIT: You actually gave three pretty good starting points right in the OP. Guess I'll start there?

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

The Modern Leper posted:

I feel bad, because I've basically cherry picked episodes for OJ Simpson content and am just now working through the rest of their actual stuff. A lot of the subject matters seem like major bummers, though (I noped out of the Matthew Shepard episode, for example), though I liked the PMRC series. Any tip on where to start?

EDIT: You actually gave three pretty good starting points right in the OP. Guess I'll start there?

yeah the show covers a lot of very dark material. even though i'm kind of there for that, a lot of the time i can't always stand to listen to a whole oj episode in one sitting, especially the early ones where they really focused on what an abusive piece of poo poo he was. if you're looking for something that isn't entirely depressing, i actually found the recent ones on vanessa williams pretty interesting. there's a bunch of "celebrities of the 20th century" type episodes in the feed and, while they are personally not always my thing, i enjoyed hearing about the story of her life in particular.

Hustle Hound fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 5, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The rant about Dr. Oz on Maintenance Phase is decent in a righteous anger way and the sadness is just about the size of general quackery, which isn't as soul-crushing.

Killer Clown Panic is pretty alright in the same way. It's only frustrating because, god drat are we stupid and we keep doing the same things over and over again.

Their Halloween special covering "Creepy Encounter" stories on Reddit is pretty alright for the first 2/3rds covering since it's mostly covering human trafficking panic. The last story is kind of a bummer though since it seems to be a true story of a woman almost being assaulted by her Uber driver, except as they talk about our culture tends to push that as not "enough" so the board makes it drift into a story about how she was almost trafficked or killed by a budding serial killer.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

The Modern Leper posted:

DC Sniper series, Tuskegee Syphilis Study series, The "Ebonics" Controversy, and the Challenger Disaster, I think are all the show at it's best.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I started listening to You're Wrong About a few months ago, and I've been picking through the catalog on and off since. It's pretty good, especially since for me (and I assume a good chunk of goons), a lot of the topics involve stuff that happened when I was a kid and/or it was something that I wasn't paying that much attention to.

The recent episodes on the roots of cancel culture has been pretty good (especially the Dixie Chicks episode), as are the DC Snipers episodes, Tonya Harding, and the Nancy Grace episodes. The Princess Diana episodes also turned me from "good on Prince Harry for getting away from the UK" to "not only should have he had left sooner, why the gently caress is William still putting up with this poo poo?!"

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Really love this podcast, it's quickly become one of my absolute favorites. I really enjoyed the episode about disco and the one about koko the gorilla. I also really enjoy any of the ones they've done about serial killers and essentially any true crime because they heavily steer away from and harshly criticize the media narrative around and approach topics with a great eye for critically analysed statistics and enormous amount of compassion. It's really making me rethink the way I think about things, it's great.

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

"Why are Dads" is now "You are Good" and is about movies/emotions generally and not just dads, so it's nice to see them branching out.

The "You're Wrong About" episode about Disco Demolition Night was very enlightening, but the Stepford Wives episode was the one that got me hooked.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
the most recent episode on the mcdonald's hot coffee lawsuit is a very good episode. even if you're familiar with the lawsuit, the second half discusses how the entire excessive frivolous lawsuit narrative was more or less made up wholecloth

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bummed Michael is leaving the podcast :(

The first episode without him was good though. They should just do a 90s biography/diet book podcast if he's burned out on stuff the media blew the first time around.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Been listening to a lot of this lately after the crossover episode with Maintenance Phase, which I've listened to every single episode of. Everything about Sarah Marshall's delivery is like catnip to me and there's always at least one moment per episode where the way she says something makes me laugh so hard I have to stop whatever I'm doing so I can rewind and hear it again. The sporadic updates about the "sweaty, vomiting" priest in the Amityville Horror episodes, and the bit with the turtles in the Dyatlov Pass episode both did that for me. She's just so deadpan and the combination of that with her ability to say things that are pointedly absurd is amazing.

Looking forward to more book club episodes.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

michael's new podcast with peter shamshiri "if books could kill" is pretty good! first two eps are dunking on freakonomics and outliers

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I really like You're Wrong About, it's a good mix of fun banter and interesting stories. The recent one about the Miracle in the Andes was surprisingly uplifting.

I would recommend the pod American Hysteria to anyone who likes this pod, their vibes are very similar to me. Chelsey Weber-Smith has featured on YWA a couple of times though, so this might be a really obvious recommendation.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ivypls posted:

michael's new podcast with peter shamshiri "if books could kill" is pretty good! first two eps are dunking on freakonomics and outliers

I got like thirty minutes into the first episode and was like "Yep that there's a Michael Hobbes podcast" but TBH I like what he does.

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

The latest 2-part episode on Karen Carpenter was really good. Carolyn Kendrick (the producer) was the guest, which was great because she was able to add some musician perspective to the conversation.

The way Sarah can unroll these stories and how emotionally honest the conversations are is really something else.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

PostNouveau posted:

Bummed Michael is leaving the podcast :(

The first episode without him was good though. They should just do a 90s biography/diet book podcast if he's burned out on stuff the media blew the first time around.

Was this post before he started doing maintenance phase? Because if it was this was a pretty good guess at what he wants in life, given the two podcasts he does now.

I feel like it took a while after Michael left to figure out a new narrative structure that worked for Sarah (in a way that connected with me as much, at least). A few were a little too unfocused for me, but I've really liked some of the newer ones. I recommended the flight 571 episode to a bunch of people.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always wondered what the story was about the grand michael/sarah breakup. I got that it was amicable, but that’s the first explanation that i have heard that makes sense.

:negative:

In the most recent episode on napster, sarah and niko keep talking about a kid’s username as if it is extremely revelatory, considering one uses rhe internet handle Manowar, which was absolutely a band reference

But they think it is like a super tough guy “man o’ war” aggro nickname.

Missing something like that makes the whole episode feel a little weaker, since they keep going back to it…

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So someone recommended me this podcast a while back because of the Michelle Remembers episodes and anything to do with the Satanic Panic is like catnip to me.

Then I just ended up binging the OJ episodes because I'm Like That, anyway does anyone have a cultivated playlist of just their Satanic Panic/evangelical propaganda episodes I can listen to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

If you guys enjoy this you probably should give Behind the Bastards a shot