Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This game is neat and chill, I hope everyone has a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm still baffled they went with Spirit, Shadow, and Steel in the localization. Just make it Dark and Metal, guys!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeah the loc in general is... iffy at best. There are parts of it that are totally fine, and then there are parts that *really* needed another editing/consistency pass -- pay attention to how often they try to equate the Japanese three-level school system to the US four-level one in different and exciting ways! And the Vita version was even messier, if you can believe it. (Supposedly, anyway, I haven't tried directly comparing them to be fair.)

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 12, 2021

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Re: Aksys getting this game, the way I heard the story is that XSeed was offered it back when it was only a Vita game and declined due to past experiences with Vita sales, unaware that Falcom was planning to make a PS4 version. Which is quite unfortunate if true, but, well, it's how it goes sometimes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

...Did you switch from PC to PS4 in this video?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So regarding the VA, the PC version -- which is the original development platform and first release in Japan -- of this game never had voice acting, it was added for the PSP port, which was the first official localization of this game. When XSeed then later released the PC version, for various technical reasons they couldn't put the PSP voice acting back into the PC version, so it was released without it.

Fast forward some years. With the upcoming English release of Memories of Celceta on PS4, the PC version of Celceta was updated to add the Japanese voice acting XSeed had now acquired the rights to... and as a special surprise, Oath in Felghana was also updated at the same time to add the PSP voice acting into the PC version.

I'll also note that the PSP version has an extra intro sequence when you start a new game that (currently) is not in the PC version. It sets the scene a little bit for series newcomers, so feel free to watch it if you're not familiar with Ys.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 20, 2021

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Also, I don't blame you for getting this wrong since Falcom's development history is long and complicated, but them not doing their own ports is actually a fairly recent development. Up until the mid-2010s or so they still did a lot of the port work themselves (though not exclusively, they did outsource some stuff too); for example, the PS4 ports of CS1 and 2 were made in-house, using the earlier PC ports (which were outsourced to XSeed) as a feature set reference but technically being based on the original PS3 and Vita versions. They have stopped doing this though, everything you see on non-Sony platforms these days is indeed outsourced.

The PC was also for quite a long time their original development platform. The Sky trilogy, Ys Napishtim/Felghana/Origin, and Zwei/II were all originally PC games which were later ported elsewhere (or not at all in Zwei II's case); they only started doing console/handheld first with Ys Seven and Zero no Kiseki.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 20, 2021

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Chronologically, they are almost in order. Ys 4 (Celceta) happens before Ys 3 (Felghana), and Ys 8 (Dana) is between 5 (which still has no 'proper' version) and 6 (Napishtim). And Origin is centuries in the past. But otherwise yes.

...Not like it really matters, the connections are rather minimal.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

They fired all their editors after Ys Origin, pretty sure.

Nah but seriously, I think this intermission is fine. Could be tighter, sure, but for what it is it's nice to chill out for an hour or two in a change of setting.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 13, 2021

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

I believe you mean “Man in Battle Suite”, as it was helpfully subtitled during what was presumably supposed to be the dramatic part of the side story but I burst out laughing instead

[Edit: If there is a “Proofreader” credit to anything other than MS Office spellcheck I am calling shenanigans]

They had at least someone read through the script for the eX+ version, the Vita version can't even keep their localized names straight at times.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I keep forgetting EX Skills are even a thing and am always slightly surprised when Artix uses one -- they didn't exist in the Vita version.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I actually do really like the ice physics in this game, pretty much for the reasons you described: It's very fun to get up to high speeds and slide around the level much faster than you ever could normally. Plus, if you initiate a charge attack mid-slide, you'll execute it while you're still moving, so you can ram face-first into an enemy and immediately hit them. It's great! Probably the most fun I had with the dungeons in this game!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeah, the voice command is just plain missing for that line in the English script:

Possibly because it's inconsistently after the newline instead of at the start of the line in the JP script? I dunno.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think it's L/R in this one but yes, that minigame is absolutely in here.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

To clarify, the upcoming content until the next 'final boss' is still in the Vita version. The stuff after that is new to eX+.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

For what it's worth, the swinging pendulums are a lot harder to dodge when the game runs on the Vita at an unstable 30 FPS.

Also perhaps interesting to note: I haven't tested this myself, but apparently you don't get this epilogue if you haven't upped your Wisdom/Courage/Virtue social stats enough.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

FYI, Ys 8 and 9 don't actually run on PhyreEngine, even though they look very similar to this and Cold Steel. They're on some custom in-house engine instead.

Anyway, thanks! I hope for your sake that your next LP isn't quite as long as this one.