Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

Towa Herschel is apparently a minor crossover vortex unto herself? :shrug:
  • The protagonist of Nayuta no Kiseki, an untranslated spinoff that nobody outside Japan paid attention to, is Nayuta Herschel.
  • Towa's best weapon in Trails of Cold Steel 2 (spoiled for ongoing LP) is called "Nayuta" in the Japanese version, albeit with different kanji.
  • Here in TX we have Towa Kokonoe, of course.
  • Towa's Brave Order in Trails of Cold Steel 3 is "Kokonoe Formation" in the Japanese version.
So, Towa's like Anna from the Fire Emblem series, got it.

But yeah, I did follow the Trails in the Sky LPs, so...good luck cutting through all that lore/backstory/flavor text, Artix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Going to take a stab in the dark and say that the reason we'll probably never be able to recruit Towa as a potential party member is that she'd end fights with nothing more than a few words and a cold glare.

Weeble posted:

Wait, what?

A Trails of Cold Steel anime?

....huh.

Wonder how many of the games they'll try and fit in per season.
Assuming it's a typical 26 episode season, I imagine they'd have to break things up to fit pacing. If the Cold Steel games get as dense as Estelle's saga gets, then each game would have to receive at least two or three seasons just to cover all the main content. Sure, some side quests will get dropped, but Falcom's games are not things you can hyper compress into one season.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So when do we fight the boss with the rare non-fungible token item drop?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And here I thought the Sakura versus Zangief matchup was tilted in favor of the former.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yes, the well known blacksmithing technique known as jailbreaking a phone.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Clearly, Asuka is using an older version of the mind wipe app and hasn't updated to the newest version yet, hence why it seems to work barely 50% of the time.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So how long until Sora unlocks her own Legally Distinct Raging Demon super art?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

At the very least, Asuka is friendlier and more open to working with Sora compared to Kou. Progress, I guess?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I can't tell if we recruiting the tech bro rear end in a top hat or the delinquent-with-a-likely-soft-side this chapter. Unless the opening scrawl also highlighted the party join times, that is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I have a sneaking suspicion that the "character development stick" in Yuuki's case is actually going to be "Sora shows off her rekka combo chains to Yuuki's face".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am ready for Yuuki to assume his final form: Hackerman.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, the next update title is totally "Clang clang, Yuuki's silver hammer...", right?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I highly doubt Sora was the reason Yuuki decided to finally come to school. My money's on Towa being the actual driving force behind that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

With the setup and presentation of Omega Drive, that absolutely is going to come up in a cutscene in the near future. My guess is that eX+ finally lets the player use it freely without needing whatever special unlock condition the base game had. I assume it was one of those "have everyone in the party except Asuka knocked out" conditions, just by reading Omega Drive's explanation.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am impressed at how extremely similar Legally Distinct Kiryu looks like the genuine article.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Starting to think Asuka hasn't updated her mindwipe app in a long time and doesn't understand why out-of-date software keeps failing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, Mitsuki will tell a yakuza underboss to get the gently caress out of Dodge to protect her underclassmen, but not lift a finger to stop a gang war that she knows has been brewing for almost two years. Those are some messed up priorities there, ma'am.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You know, for the chapter being centered around a street gang with a fire theme (to the point that Shio is a fire element user himself), it does feel weird that they fumble the ball on the 1 yard line and have the final dungeon be called the Azure Ruins.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm not sure if I'm ready for the hard swerve into Silent Hill for this chapter, if only because of the inevitable tone whiplash that'll result both before and after the chapter's boss gets defeated.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I have to wonder if Mitsuki is a result of the dev team not completely being able to let go of the Cold Steel combat design philosophy. It's especially weird when again, you contrast Shio who is equally slow, but he can also absolutely unload damage with minimal effort and still keep up with the rest of the party. The only way I could see Mitsuki working is if you go out of your way to seamlessly incorporate the character switch button into your combos (i.e., start with Mitsuki, quickly swap to someone else mid-combo, quickly swap back, etc.) as opposed to doing a combo, pausing to switch characters, then resuming the combo.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My annoying gimmick boss fight senses are tingling.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, that definitely was a difficulty spike. I liked the touch in the first run of the boss' thorns taking out Sora, then Asuka pops in right into the thorns and dies just as quickly because she's also on low health. :shepicide:

I also imagine that another knock against Professional Buzzsaw Shio for this fight is that he's so drat slow, and the boss can just unload so much damage in the time he takes two steps in any direction.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

A character named Asuka with mommy issues fighting other worldly creatures and her weapon uses her dead mother's soul. Where have I heard this story before?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wait, did they seriously try to keep the voice filter up for Legally Distinct Master Chief when he took off his helmet?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Random question: How in the hell did Rion avoid the members of BLAZE all this time? Because I have a feeling they would have concerns about a random girl showing up to their hideout just to practice singing.

Unless that's an upcoming intermission where Rion reveals that Akihiro is a secret fan of hers and helped keep Rion's secret out of respect.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Now I'm wondering just how bonkers Rion could be with access to Devil May Cry's combat mechanics, because it looks like she could easily air juggle opponents (and keep them airborne) if given an opening.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, does that Greed just become some new power for Rion or can she summon that thing like her own dollar store knock-off Stand?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I applaud the game's commitment to making sure that when Ryouta is onscreen, he never goes more than five minutes without getting punched in the dick in some fashion.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Out of curiosity, is Asuka always the person Kou wakes up next to after the behemoth fight, or is that dependent on who the third party member is when fighting the behemoth?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I want to say the glowing orbs on the Guardian's shoulders are meant to represent the spider...but that's a reach at best.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Please tell me the inevitable SPiKa concert to close out the game involves Mikuriya having to sit next to Ryouta as his form of punishment. And Ryouta has been purposefully told to be as annoying as possible.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

what's the difference between a hadoken and a gadoken
The former is a genuine energy ball that can blow stuff up, if either the user is strong enough or the plot demands it. The latter is described as being as strong as a slightly ki-enhanced slap to the face.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Our boy did indeed make good. Redemption arc complete.
I mean, Mitsuki all but outright said she was going to bury him alive in a shallow grave if Mikuriya hosed up again. So of course he'd have the motivation to get poo poo done.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'd argue this area also takes some design notes from Xen in Half-Life. At least there's no weird gravity nonsense here like in Xen.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You know, I have to wonder if the dev team forgot that Kou's long range attack is a chain-whip sword for a hot minute. Because otherwise, all Kou had to do was throw out the whip sword and catch Shiori. But alas, that would have been the smart idea.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, I'll be honest, that was a solid ending. Not perfect, but still able to feel satisfying in the end, and sometimes, that's all that one has to do to wrap up a story. Having the credits song be called "All is a Lie" is a fitting if not bittersweet touch as well.

I'm hoping the dreaded EX+ content at least reveals Towa's quick-change powers, because I want to know how she swapped from her shrine maiden outfit to her teacher's outfit in between the opening assault on the final dungeon and Shiori's farewell.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Artix hasn't even recorded anything from eX+ yet and is going into it largely blind, I believe, so we kind of have no frickin' idea of what's coming next. Videos 92 to 97 simply cover the True Ending to the base game.
Ah, my mistake. The way you guys were summing it up made it sound like this was the base game's only ending, and the eX+ content was everything else that'll be covered.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

The nightmare is finally over.
Only to be replaced by a new one later.
If there's one thing I've learned from this crew of commentators, one of them will find a way to inflict Deep Hurtingtm on the others.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The weird part about Jun's lack of costumes is that we've seen him with at least 4 options by this point: White Shroud (with and without hood), casual wear, school uniform and his badly injured White Shroud version from late in the main game (which is basically "White Shroud without the cloak"). So, the only guess I can make as to why Jun doesn't get anything besides the White Shroud outfit is in the same vein of what Argate said: the combat animations are all built around the White Shroud outfit and removing the cloak just messes with the game in some form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

And even that, it turns out, is not true, because people have been able to use model swapping mods to put other characters' models over the main party without incident. I've seen a video of someone running around using Jun in his White Shroud undersuit in the place of Asuka and it seems to work just fine. I think it's a matter of Falcom's B-Team just being exceedingly cheap to its two extra-game characters.

Because apparently everyone's character model in the game is actually just a costume that can be applied to a default animation rig, so you can slap basically any model in the game onto anyone by loving with the costume values and that character will show up in-game.
Well, that is quite the informative find. Now I kind of want to see crazy poo poo like Final Boss Shiori or Rem being hacked into the playable party.