Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Omobono posted:

I'm going to defend the meltdown in Persona 5 Strikers because it was funny as gently caress and the party was deliberately fanning the flames for entertainment value.

But yeah, welcome to Trails of Persona. I hope you enjoy books and NPCs with all the backstory, and why the hell did they copy-paste tiny senpai here?
Don't get me wrong, Towa is the best, but did she fall in a dimensional warp?
Oh yeah, Zenkichi's reaction to the Metaverse and Morgana is great. It helps that they don't draw it out that much, but it is a fairly realistic reaction to someone having their world turned upside down like that. And his VA absolutely sells that scene, too.

Yuzu from Devil Survivor might be a better example of a more prolonged meltdown over suddenly getting your world upended on you. She spends most of the first half of the game somewhere between full-blown panic and "why ME?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rion and Sora seem the most interesting to me right now. Mostly because as stated, Rion playing off of Kou's complete disinterest is great, and also the game seems to be pretty up front about what Sora's Social Link is gonna be about.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Shiori is my favorite character in the game. And I preferred her over Hiiragi. It's just too bad that I know my anime enough to know that she's going to suffer the curse of being childhood friend.
Considering Artix said in the video that the only two relationship values that have an effect on the ending are Asuka's and Shiori's, maybe not.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Man, I can't wait for Tokyo Hawk's Pro Skater action in the skate park.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I saw you switch to Kou for literally the last hit on that boss, thus denying Sora her hard-earned victory. Don't you try to fool me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In the middle of a lazy dungeon run with not much going on:

Kou: "Hey, you want this book I picked up about cats?"

Asuka: "This is extremely not the time right now!

But yes."

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Man, they really bludgeon you over the head with the solution here, huh? Like the bit where the girl mentions her stove could be controlled by phone was a good start, and then Ryota mentions the driver's GPS glitching out which could have led you to the next step in the investigation, but then everybody just goes "MAN SOUNDS LIKE THAT THING THAT HAPPENED WITH THE APP, FORTUNATELY THERE'S NO WAY THE APP COULD BE AT FAULT HA HA HA."

Also, I dunno about reading the actual menu items in the cafebar, but I did notice that "COCTALS" was spelled wrong.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, the translation could definitely have used another editing pass. It's far from the worst I've seen (I own BoF2, Wild Arms 2, and Chaos Wars), but it certainly is "rough" sometimes and doesn't always sound "natural".

And Red there might have bailed due to the drugs wearing off; it didn't look like Shio was in much shape to fight, but who knows what kind of clutch maneuver he could have pulled off, and suddenly there's three newcomers. Seems better to cut and run when your fancy magic performance-enhancing drugs wear off rather than risk biting off more than you can chew.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 24, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So Kou is basically swapping those Master Cores with another party member, right? Does that mean they swap elements or does Kou just gain the other party member's?

Also, I think this is the one time that somebody who had been dead-set on fixing something themselves actually decided to listen to reason and accept the help offered by people who obviously knew more about the situation then they did. So congrats, Shio!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

nine-gear crow posted:

Especially because the dungeon's colour theme is green.
Apparently, in Japanese, the word for "blue" and "green" is the same, and I think I read in another article on that site that I can't find right now that Japanese doesn't draw as much of a hard line between the two colors as English does, so that one kinda makes sense actually.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

White Coke posted:

Apparently a lot of ancient cultures didn’t have a word for the color blue. Lumping it in with green I can understand, but the Ancient Greeks thought it was bronze.

Such is the power of the wild card.
Maybe they were lumping it in with tarnished bronze? Copper gets a noticeable green tint when it oxidizes, which is why Lady Liberty is lime and not copper.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's always weird to me that conversations in this game tend to have the characters side-eyeing something just offscreen.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah the way I see it is that Kou basically interpreted Mitsuki as saying, "We are working on resolving your issue" in a very corporate way and decided to take matters into his own hands.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's nothing wrong with it, especially if there's a mechanic like in Final Fantasy 2 where you have to learn keywords and use them in conversation with NPCs, or an in-game glossary where you can click on a keyword to get a pop-up that tells you what it is, but if it's overused it can be annoying and if it's particularly egregious it can come off as condescending.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Look, it was trying, but Adol's Danger Magnet status caused it to overload. There are some rules of the universe even gods were not meant to defy.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Just as a heads up, Tokyo Xanadu is currently $12 in the PSN Big In Japan sale.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:shrug: I'm picking it up, figured a few others might want to at that price.

Though clearly at least one thread regular has already played the game and has Opinions. :cheeky:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, and the priest who wandered into the ruins is Junpei, as well. I wouldn't have been surprised if Yuri Lowenthal or (E:vvv guess I wasn't paying enough attention to Adol's combat shouts) Laura Bailey had shown up too.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 30, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

With how effective the memory wipe app has been so far chances are he knows what's up and is just faking it so he doesn't get Mitsuki's toughs on his rear end with the real memory-wipe app, which is just a lead pipe upside the head.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cooked Auto posted:

Smirking Jun was definitely a highlight of that... thing. Not sure if I'd call it a travesty but it was something either way.

Also they could've probably try to get a tripod for that camera because unless the cameraman is a robot that footage is going to be real shakey.
They're going for "authentic high-school AV club production". The angle is that the movie is a documentary shot by the school news club. They're going to apply a filter to it in editing to make it look like cellphone camera video.

Hwurmp posted:

has anyone seen my bow tie
Put a request out on NiAR. I hear there's this group of teens that's real good at finding lost stuff.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It fits with how much this game is trying to be a weird ARPG Persona 4.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

At least this is confirmation that they actually physically enter the Eclipse, rather than it being all astral projection dreamspace bullshit, which is more than say Persona 5 ever explicitly gives you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:lol: at Yuuki's PS4 sense. "Hey, Kou, did you just buy a PS4? Well I'm already on my way over to beat you at a fighting game."

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like that the game's reason for the uptick in Eclipse activity is basically "oops, Twilight Shiori accidentally photobombed some tourist's Twitter photo of Acros Tower and somebody saw a supposedly dead girl walking around, now reality's falling apart at the seams". :allears:

E: Also, the photos altering themselves in the flashbacks seem to imply that there was a period of time when Shiori was just dead and there wasn't Shiori, Goddess of the End wandering around wearing her face? Or is that just me putting more thought into the game's use of visual imagery than the developers did?

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 20, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This game is absolutely unafraid to show how much it's ripping off Persona 4 and I can respect that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Comparing Kou to Commander Shepard makes me think of basically the only thing I know about Mass Effect: "I'm Kou Tokisaka, and this is my favorite store in Morimiya!"

That whole sidequest was just begging to have The Living Years dubbed over it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yes, but we've already established Artix's opinions regarding the use of items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That opening shot of the classroom was funny, with all the other students in uniform and Asuka looking like she just came from the gym. So congratulations on accidentally setting up the comedy shot. :v:

One might question the point of sneaking Spika into the club room if three of the members were just going to run off and practice right in the open in the gym though.

And yeah, the localization seems to have taken a nosedive for the Ex+ content, some of those subtitles were just embarrassing. Almost feels like a different company was used for the Ex+ content.