Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Curious what the headline on this newspaper is supposed to be because it's clearly (something) Kingdom except the something isn't Darakin or any other word we've heard. Maybe they renamed something in development but it was after someone already drew up the graphic (which is the same in the Japanese version).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Please tell me that the first boss' "Barse" skill that spawns a Klaw Ant isn't an incredibly bastardised "Birth".

It definitely is, it's written バース (baasu) which is exactly how you would render the English word birth. Neither of the options of 'they didn't realise this' or 'they wanted to pretend it wasn't actually "birth"' feel terribly convincing so I have no idea.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

LJN92 posted:

“Yes. When I was held captive in Doplin Castle, I remember the Bishop bragging about it.”

Funny that Rivas says “I” when it was more Maya that was captured.

LJN92 posted:

“Is that why you brought me here, Maya?”

:hai:

“Yes…I hoped that you would realize your potential as a Mystic.”

Yeah, I wondered about that here, it should probably be "we" for these.

Area name trivia - the English text was always there and has been re-translated in most cases

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

LJN92 posted:

And what the heck's with calling the Morg a "guardian"? I'm not sure that's even a possible translation of that Kanji.

Hmm, you do see 'guardian spirit' as an option for 主 in some dictionaries but I'm not sure that's really distinct from the 'lord' translation in the 'it's the guy in charge' sense. It doesn't seem like he's defending the mountain from anything in particular.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

LJN92 posted:

“Why do I have this power?!...How I wish I didn’t!! Then Father…and Mother!!...*sob*…”

“The power itself isn’t inherently good or evil! That’s up to the person who wields it!”

Feel like this shouldn't be that comforting when she already killed her parents by wielding the power, but I guess it worked.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know the Japanese names for either of them but I feel fairly confident that Reym is a reference to Rem

It's レアム vs レム which is certainly close enough to be a deliberate reference without literally giving them the same name.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

LJN92 posted:

“Dareku no Kubi(?)” I’m not so sure about this one because that is clearly the Kanji for “neck” and other related meanings and I’m reasonably sure that can’t be interpreted as “haunt” in the sense of a place where people hang out or live or what have you. Maybe the intent was it related to the peninsula looking like a thin, neck like place rather than being where someone is, but I wouldn’t know. Perhaps someone else can give some Japanese context?

Yeah, I'm not sure what they're trying to do here. The English subtitle for the area in the Japanese version is 'Neck of Dreak' which makes me wonder if they fumbled the transliteration for [Francis] Drake*, but it doesn't really explain the neck part either way. The Japanese guy whose video I'm looking at also thinks it's 'kubi', though it's not like he has any more context than we do.

* it'd be unusual for them to stick in a reference to a real person here too, but I wouldn't rule it out

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Not sure if this is random or affection-based but there's some variations here, Kazan will ask if they're just working for 'that fat, corrupt bishop' and Maya will come out with 'Why?! Why must we fight?' (there's probably still no line for Ayne, though)

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

LJN92 posted:

If you’re wondering what “Waga Itto Nomi” means, I think it’s “Bunny Fang Blade”.

No, really. When I first tried to get a translation for it, it came out to “Drink my rabbit”, which was obviously wrong, but “Itto” can translate to rabbit/bunny. Couple that with the fact that Lang will occasionally shout “Bunny Fang Blade” when using this Hyper Art, I think that might just be it. Could use some Japanese context if anyone can provide, of course.

So, it's actually ittou rather than itto. The full name of the school is Tenga Ittou Ryuu in fact but I guess they cut that for brevity (actually checking back Kazan translates this as 'Sky Fang' rather than leaving it as 'Tenga', in earlier dialogue. weird)

In full it's written 我が一刀のみ - most likely 'Just a single stroke of my blade'. As for the voice clip the simplest explanation I can think of is that it's a deliberate joke because trying to reason it through is complicated even if you assume the translator did actually think it was 'itto' (primarily, you're replacing the 'blade' part of the phrase with 'bunny', so where are you getting 'blade' from?)

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Sure, go for it

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, I usually hear about this in relation to Tales games, but, nobody likes it so I don't know why game designers do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

From the name it probably was supposed to be a new game+ item - like if you have the ball in your inventory in a save file, you can new game+ off it, but they never got round to any part of the system besides the item.

Given the non-discoverability of Mystic Arts I guess they had to give the boss the kind of numbers that would be reasonable to someone who didn't know how to use them, so he's not going to be too difficult for anyone reasonably levelled, on the other hand if you do he's going to be kind of a joke (there's a speedrun which finishes with level 28 Lang and level 48 Sharon that simply drops a pair of 300,000-damage Sharon Mystic Arts (via some combination of buffs) to one-shot the second and third forms).