Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Apologies for the new thread, I couldn't find a coin collecting thread.
I am finally taking the time to go through my FIL's old collection with the intention of selling it off on ebay. Here is what I have for silver dollars:

The issue is I am not finding any Whitman collections on Ebay. Does this mean I should take them out of the books? For the lower value coins it seems like they are worth more in the books. I also have a bunch of other books.

If anyone is interested in these things PM me and maybe we can work out a deal. I also have some silver dimes/quarters/half dollars that are just loose along with a few other loose silver dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

I'd assume that because condition matters so much in coin collecting and that the reverse isn't viewable in a book, that most serious collections will not be a book and instead by in something where you can see all faces and sides of the coin.

Old Man Pants
Nov 21, 2010

Strippers are people too!

n8r posted:

Apologies for the new thread, I couldn't find a coin collecting thread.
I am finally taking the time to go through my FIL's old collection with the intention of selling it off on ebay. Here is what I have for silver dollars:

The issue is I am not finding any Whitman collections on Ebay. Does this mean I should take them out of the books? For the lower value coins it seems like they are worth more in the books. I also have a bunch of other books.

If anyone is interested in these things PM me and maybe we can work out a deal. I also have some silver dimes/quarters/half dollars that are just loose along with a few other loose silver dollars.

Hi, I actually work for a coin broker.

Your best bet is to get a copy of the red book, and see what they are valued at there. If you want to actually get them graded, NGC and PCGH are the way to go. Otherwise your best bet is either ebay or a coin show near you.

I also looked for a coins thread, and wasn't able to find one.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

There's a coin thread but it moves pretty slowly.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706376&pagenumber=12&perpage=40

Jows
May 8, 2002

Heritage Auctions deals with a lot of coins. You can reach out to their coin consignment guy and he can tell you if you have anything with selling. If you do they'll front all the grading fees and whatnot.

I've been dealing with them for my dad/uncle's silver age comics and they've been great to work with.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I'd suggest popping each on out and selling the dollars and half dollars individually on eBay using 10-day auctions scheduled for Thursday evening at $0.01 and no reserve. It is pretty quick to do this with the eBay app. You can list one every 3 minutes or so including cropping.

Coin grading company PCGS has this helpful set of pictures (link:https://www.pcgs.com/photograde) to allow you to estimate the grade of each one, which you will want to put in the title and description. You'll only need the "category" of grade, for example, "Very Fine (VF)".

Just take good pics of each one front and back, schedule them all for one Thursday and you'll make a tidy sum with a couple hours work.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

For how much over metal price do these sell, roughly?

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

It depends on condition, year, mint mark, rarity, etc.

Some qualities objective and some subjective. Anywhere from 0% above melt value to a million percent.

Old Man Pants
Nov 21, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Gin posted:

It depends on condition, year, mint mark, rarity, etc.

Some qualities objective and some subjective. Anywhere from 0% above melt value to a million percent.

We have an Indian head penny at my work listed for like ten thousand dollars

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

were
he
wehre is my dbere
'
back tooo tfr luv u

p.s. I see you weather thread no one with any kind of authirty will fix the climate they all want moneyh moe than the yh want you to have an livabl e enviornment in ten yhears

pps i dont' know wht forum this is now.

I recently sold a bunch of similar dollars from an elderly relative who died.

Ditch the books, no one cares about them.

Buy some coin sleeves to put the coins in. Photograph them before doing so.

Look up some coin grading guides online and make your own best guess. Put that in the auction title along with the year and mint code. Add some keywords, like:

Morgan Silver Dollar 1884 D - VF/EF - bullion

I also like to stick a reference number in the title of my auction that I can cross-reference with the coins. Something like #00345 (even if it's your very first coin, don't start at 1) just so you don't gently caress up and ship the wrong coin.

Throw it up starting at a penny. You will get WAY more traction. The ones that I started at spot value generally sold a bit over spot, while I got stupid money from the ones starting at a penny. Most sold for roughly what the various value guides said they should go for.

Specify that the bidder is to pay shipping, but also specify USPS first class. Make sure to select their option for tracking. Send it adult signature required - this saved my rear end when a package either got stolen or the buyer lied about it to scam me. IIRC my usual cost for shipping one coin was about $4.

Stick some boilerplate in your auction description about how it has not been professionally graded etc. Mark it as used, no returns.

edit: ballpark you've got something like ~$700 worth of coins there. Call it $650 after paying for your shipping materials and some coin sleeves etc.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Seconding the reference number for your items. It's very easy to get things mixed up. I sell a lot of cards online. Like coins there can be very small differences between coin A with $5, and coin B worth $500.

After I list each card I package it up for shipping, and write the auction ID on the front