Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Think about it. What do you need from a desktop OS out of the box?

- word processing
- internet
- media player / organizer
- calculator
- terminal
- the most basic image editing ever

macos beats windows in every one of these down the list except for the last one. What gives?

Also, there are no good third party apps that meet this need. What's out here is strictly Adobe competition as opposed to core OS functionality.

Messed up imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
windows comes with two actually ms paint and paint 3D. apple status: double owned lol

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I agree but I just use https://jspaint.app
it lets you save directly to imgur too.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
its pronounced "miz paint" not "miss paint" welcome to the 21st century you loving neanderthals

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

RZA Encryption posted:

I agree but I just use https://jspaint.app
it lets you save directly to imgur too.

stop using imgur and use postimages.org

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Remember when microsoft threatened to put mspaint in the microsoft store so that people would finally have a reason to go there

Good thing they chickened out

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait does macos really not have a basic drawing program included?? i don't have a mac to check this with. i am relying on yospos to tell me the truth of this matter

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i think you can use photos.app to do some basic editing like drawing, highlighting, adding text to actual photos. but there is no standalone drawing app no lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait does macos really not have a basic drawing program included?? i don't have a mac to check this with. i am relying on yospos to tell me the truth of this matter

my wife has a macbook air but i'll be damned if i'm gonna use that thing.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

classic macs never had a bundled paint app either, you had to buy clarisworks or kidpix or whatever

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPaint lol 195 dollars

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pretty sure even my timbphone has a drawing function

get it together macos team

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the fact that windows doesnt come with a basic version of excel also completely drives me bonkers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

remember microsoft works

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

polyester concept posted:

i think you can use photos.app to do some basic editing like drawing, highlighting, adding text to actual photos. but there is no standalone drawing app no lol

this is technically true but it is very hidden and if you want to work from a fresh image you're SOL afaik. it's so lovely that it took a few tries to resize an image using it last week

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Truman Peyote posted:

this is technically true but it is very hidden and if you want to work from a fresh image you're SOL afaik. it's so lovely that it took a few tries to resize an image using it last week

you can also take a screenshot and have some very basic editing tools.

my favourite photos feature tho is that live photos from your iphone that have been looped or bounced can be dragged out of photos and onto your desktop where they appear as gifs

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

pretty sure even my timbphone has a drawing function

get it together macos team

of course, there's a notes.app on macOS too that must be the solution!
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchl74e7c6df/mac

...oh you bastards

Only registered members can see post attachments!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

carry on then posted:

remember microsoft works

i do. isn't that back when word just came with windows?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

President Beep posted:

i do. isn't that back when word just came with windows?

word never came with windows, it was always wordpad

the closest anything ever came to a full office program was outlook express

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

apple's phone comes with a digital audio workstation but their flagship computers don't have paint

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

carry on then posted:

word never came with windows, it was always wordpad

the closest anything ever came to a full office program was outlook express

woah, i've had a more privileged life than i realized..

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it was probably free on whatever oem pcs people bought, i think they couldn't give works away fast enough during the XP era

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

god bless bill and his contribution to art.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i use paint.net

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

apple's phone comes with a digital audio workstation but their flagship computers don't have paint

Yeah. And like, iMovie. hosed up world.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

my wife has a macbook air but i'll be damned if i'm gonna use that thing.

i look at a big wife with my laptop

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

the russians used a pencil

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it actually does. sorry op. gas

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

it was probably free on whatever oem pcs people bought, i think they couldn't give works away fast enough during the XP era

in the 90’s Microsoft made it a requirement that computers with windows include an office suite (which the oems would have to pay for, obviously). MSOffice was very expensive and most consumer PCs couldn’t price that in, so oems chose cheaper options. one was WordPerfect. another was Works, which was Microsoft’s second, cheaper office suite. yes, they had two office suites.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
op is right about macos lacking a simple paint program. it’s also missing a solitaire game. these are things people use on windows. a lot. and there’s no reasonable substitute on macos, which is bullshit.

otoh Windows is missing a pdf reader (lol chredge).

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The Management posted:

it’s also missing a solitaire game

macs are the thinking mans computer

it even has cheevos

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

hifi posted:

i use paint.net

same. no non-jank equivalent of that on macos, either

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pram posted:

it actually does. sorry op. gas

:chord:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

im the multi billion dollar company that cant do better than the most opengl tutorial level parallel projection uv mapping

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

iPad not having a calculator is still the computing worlds most baffling omission.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Horace posted:

iPad not having a calculator is still the computing worlds most baffling omission.

this is true tho these days you can just swipe down from the home screen and type it in like you would in spotlight

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

r u ready to WALK posted:

classic macs never had a bundled paint app either, you had to buy clarisworks or kidpix or whatever

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPaint lol 195 dollars

wtf there is a software called "kidpix"?!

not googling that

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

r u ready to WALK posted:

macs are the thinking mans computer

i too remember imaginaria

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Zlodo posted:

im the multi billion dollar company that cant do better than the most opengl tutorial level parallel projection uv mapping

i mean the basic game is unchanged from nextstep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Hammerite posted:

wtf there is a software called "kidpix"?!

not googling that

you didnt have kidpix in elementary school computer lab? sorry for your fail childhood