Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
only 90s kids will remember!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
we had Granny's Garden, that's the main piece of software I remember from kiddy school.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

pram posted:

only 90s kids will remember!

this but kidpix did own actually

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

kidpix was sweet. distracting your friends and then blowing up their pictures with dynamite. hell yeah

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

apparently all this software must have been marketed in the same places because this one episode of computer chronicles covers like half the games in my elementary school computer lab ~2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb9mZXE9lK8&t=410s

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

our grade school computer lab had the pizza box macs all networked together, and I now think it was sharing a network drive with a single installation of kid pix. we all used it at the same time, but I figured out in like 3rd grade if you edited a stamp that another kid was editing, if you saved it right before they did, it would crash their copy of kid pix. so we all started trying to crash other kids when they weren't expecting it

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hammerite posted:

we had Granny's Garden, that's the main piece of software I remember from kiddy school.

wtf there is a software called "Granny's Garden"?!

not googling that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
meanwhile, satya read this thread and decided to self own.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1379873199220002834

I hope you’re proud op

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

RZA Encryption posted:

wtf there is a software called "Granny's Garden"?!

not googling that

GOOGLE: That was not a good idea.

*scary picture appears*

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Management posted:

I hope you’re proud op

glad we're wrapping around to "i found the gradient tool in fireworks" levels of icon design

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

carry on then posted:

i mean the basic game is unchanged from nextstep

the basic game is unchanged for thousands of years lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

pram posted:

it actually does. sorry op. gas

that poo poo sucks and you know it

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Management posted:

I hope you’re proud op

This is the only time I have regretted posting.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

taking a screenshot and marking it up quickly is 1000x easier in Mac than windows.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

power botton posted:

taking a screenshot and marking it up quickly is 1000x easier in Mac than windows.

everything except browsing network drives is

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

power botton posted:

snipping tool?

maybe only 500% idk it's been a long time since i've used a mac

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Gentle Autist posted:

and getting viruses

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

polyester concept posted:

stop using imgur and use postimages.org

why

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Gentle Autist posted:

this is also true

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

imgur did a hilarious bad ad thing at one point though they seem to have rolled it back some

i'm using postimages for now but i can't see how sustainable it is since there's zero way for them to make any cash on it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pardot posted:

our grade school computer lab had the pizza box macs all networked together, and I now think it was sharing a network drive with a single installation of kid pix. we all used it at the same time, but I figured out in like 3rd grade if you edited a stamp that another kid was editing, if you saved it right before they did, it would crash their copy of kid pix. so we all started trying to crash other kids when they weren't expecting it

what a bunch of assholes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hammerite posted:

wtf there is a software called "kidpix"?!

not googling that

the only list you’re gonna get on is the list of people who need more old mac software in their life

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

if windows came w excel there would never have been any reason to invent the whole concept of acquiring new software for your computer after you bought it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i only use spreadsheets for personal stuff since there are better things to use for stats wankery

as a result i am extremely pleased with numbers; it makes pretty tables to keep track of all my seeds

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

power botton posted:

win+shift+s, click on the thing, this brings up the result and the pen is preselected, how many keystrokes do macs manage to cut out of that?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

win+shift+s, click on the thing, this brings up the result and the pen is preselected, how many keystrokes do macs manage to cut out of that?

this is new to windows but tbh i've never had a problem because i had always just stuck the clipping tool in my quicklaunch bar

but also when i just did it it only brings up the screen selection tool, and then the image goes away vs on mac where you have keystrokes to select an area, select a full window, or select the whole screen, at which point you can click on the image and have all sorts of editing tools

is there a different option on windows to make the image stick around for quick editing?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flakeloaf posted:

snipping tool?

command-shift-4

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

this is new to windows but tbh i've never had a problem because i had always just stuck the clipping tool in my quicklaunch bar

but also when i just did it it only brings up the screen selection tool, and then the image goes away vs on mac where you have keystrokes to select an area, select a full window, or select the whole screen, at which point you can click on the image and have all sorts of editing tools

is there a different option on windows to make the image stick around for quick editing?

there is a bar at the top (after win+shift+s but before you click what you want) to select what kind of snip you want. stays with what you've selected previously so i just have rectangle selection there almost always. for me it launches the editor directly, but now that you mention i think i've changed something to make that happen (otherwise the thing you snipped is on clipboard and in the notification center, where clicking it launches the little editor thing).

it is pretty sweet imo, but admittedly very new and it is kind of dumb how long it took microsoft to put it in.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there is a bar at the top (after win+shift+s but before you click what you want) to select what kind of snip you want. stays with what you've selected previously so i just have rectangle selection there almost always. for me it launches the editor directly, but now that you mention i think i've changed something to make that happen (otherwise the thing you snipped is on clipboard and in the notification center, where clicking it launches the little editor thing).

it is pretty sweet imo, but admittedly very new and it is kind of dumb how long it took microsoft to put it in.

sure but i am specifically talking about editing / marking up the screenshots which is where the apple tool under discussion really shines these days

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
anybody remember when Microsoft made a word-processor for kids?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
*~OnLy 90's KiDz WilL ReMemBer~*

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

graph posted:

command-shift-4

sorry graph. aside from control alt delete i draw the line at three key shortcuts. too many.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

command shift 4 or if you want to do extra clicks like a filthy windows user you could do command shift 5.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Poopernickel posted:

I’m the vanishing p

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

President Beep posted:

sorry graph. aside from control alt delete i draw the line at three key shortcuts. too many.

lol remember when Windows made you press control alt delete to log in

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Poopernickel posted:

i dont, what the gently caress is this

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Screen shots+quick annotate in macos and win10 are equally simple and good.

I'm going to keep RDPing into my old XPS laptop to use paint. yospos.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

graph posted:

i dont, what the gently caress is this

microsoft creative writer, the "hey we're wacky" early 90s-era's answer to.... clarisworks i guess?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

flakeloaf posted:

microsoft creative writer, the "hey we're wacky" early 90s-era's answer to.... clarisworks i guess?

"kids these days love" *peers at design document* "old timey steam whistles and horrifying jesters"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Screen shots+quick annotate in macos and win10 are equally simple and good.

I'm going to keep RDPing into my old XPS laptop to use paint. yospos.

Find and install Microsoft Fine Artist, you won't regret it. It's like MSPaint but much better in every way