Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lou Marson is a manger now? lol

I remember when he was a failed catching prospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2023 All Star Game
July 18, 2023
66-23, .741
1st Place, AL West

League News

Some guy named Trout reasserts himself.

Mariners run away with the AL...so far.

Braves and Dodgers dominate the NL, again.

Will the Tigers ever be good again?

Danny "Quiz" Quisenberry takes his 88 mph sinker to the draft.

Team News

Benny the Jet is a baseball revelation. His combination of speed and defense shoots him to the upper echelon of MLB infielders from the day he steps on the field. He is probably riding a high BABIP and his OPS will come down a bit in the second half, but this is probably close what he's gonna look like for the next decade or so.

Wacky Jack Leiter is not to be outdone; started the season on an absolute tear but cooled down a bit in the summer. Justus Sheffield finally reaches his enormous potential and has arguably been even better, although his BABIP is comically low right now.

Danny Arteaga struggles a bit early on but hits his stride in June. Kenny Giles continues to be one of the best RPs in baseball.

Alex Kirilloff has a fine start to the season, but then misses time to a concussion and then a thumb thing that won't seem to go away. Hopefully he'll be healthy after the all star break.

We sign Alfredo Quintero to an international deal. He's a big lefty COF prospect with a high-end bat.

Tyler Mahle, last year's CY runner-up, struggles mightily all spring and season, and is eventually relegated to the bullpen. In early July, it is revealed he has a UCL tear, and will be out for a calendar year. :( (we have 3 more years of him at $13m a pop...tough break)

With the 31st pick in the draft, we take Drew Bowser, a rangy 3B/SS who Pete is VERY high on. Good glove, good OBP, great speed, lots of doubles....our kind of ballplayer. Only oddity is he's 6'4"....

Julio Rodriguez finally reaches his lofty potential before going down with an oblique for a few weeks. Josh Lowe has been an incredibly nice surprise in his absence.

The media starts calling the boys Los Hermanos Rodriguez though they're not technically hermanos.

We have a few decisions to make. Outside of converted starter Marco Gonzalez (who has been ok but not dominant) we have NO lefties in the pen. It might be a good idea to chase one, either as a rental or a long-term purchase.

Our coaching staffs' contracts are expiring. As a reminder, we have Bruce Billings as hitting coach and Joey Demonte as pitching coach.

Ken Giles is our only expiring player contract. We're almost out of money though: we have about $35m in cash to burn this year, but thanks to some huge arbitration bumps and Marco Gonzales' pay raise, we're almost out of projected cash for extensions. Kenny wants 4/46; we'd probably be looking at something like 3/30 after negotiating.

So you're interested in a lefty reliever, kid? Gotta tell you...the market is dire. We can build a package around someone like Marco Gonzales and Josh Lowe; our prospect cupboard is getting a bit empty though.

Darwinzon Hernandez (3.5/5.0) is probably the best of the bunch. He has a wipeout curveball and has been closing for Boston, although they're surprisingly willing to cut bait with him.

Burl Carraway (2.0/4.0) is still grinding away in the minors, but I think he's ML-ready. He also has a wipeout curve and a 99 mph heater. He'll only cost a B prospect.

Matt Cronin (2.5/3.0) has been tremendous for Washington this year, and they're looking for bats. He's pre-arb and would cost a roster player.

VOTE

Kenny Giles, do we:
1) try and extend
2) ride it out and let him walk
3) trade him (he'd bring back either a A- prospect or a younger but not as good RP)

Coaching staff:
1) Extend both
2) Extend one or the other (say which)
3) Let them walk

LOOGY:
1) Trade for one of Pete's guys (if so, say who)
2) Ride it out

Marco Gonzales:
1) Trade him now to avoid his $12m next season
2) Keep him on board

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 21, 2021

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Kenny Giles, do we:
3) trade him (he'd bring back either a A- prospect or a younger but not as good RP)

Coaching staff:
1) Extend both

LOOGY:
1) Trade for Darwinzon Hernandez

Marco Gonzales:

Any chance we can combine three votes and move Giles/Gonzales in the move for Hernandez?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

oldskool posted:

Any chance we can combine three votes and move Giles/Gonzales in the move for Hernandez?

This'll definitely be where we start if we decide to go that direction -- I'm not sure what the Sox finances look like though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Keep Giles for at least this season - Flags fly forever and he's been absolutely filthy for us this entire LP (when healthy)

Trade Marco - if he's not starting then his salary isn't worth it, obviously. Plus this frees up the money to extend Giles, if we want to.

Extend the coaches since they seem to be doing a pretty good job

and I think that Boston is a great place to start with trading Marco since they have that lefty reliever they want to get rid of for reasons

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Giles
2) ride it out and let him walk

Coaching staff:
1) Extend both

LOOGY:
1) Trade for Burl Carraway

Marco Gonzales:
2) Keep him on board

I should note that we are winning far too much to achieve peak profitability. We could make much more money if we cut bait with our higher salary players, and I'm sure we'd still make the playoffs.

We also are failing to put our "smallball" approach into play - halfway through the season we have three starters on pace for 150+ whiffs, and another three on pace for over 100.

If I were the owner, I'd be tempted to let you win a World Series as GM, and then order you to cut salary.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

IcePhoenix posted:

Keep Giles for at least this season - Flags fly forever and he's been absolutely filthy for us this entire LP (when healthy)

Trade Marco - if he's not starting then his salary isn't worth it, obviously. Plus this frees up the money to extend Giles, if we want to.

Extend the coaches since they seem to be doing a pretty good job

and I think that Boston is a great place to start with trading Marco since they have that lefty reliever they want to get rid of for reasons

I like this.

For Draft regen prospects, I would like to see a Michael Jordan that actually devoted his life to baseball. I don't know what that would do to him physically, or whatever, but if this game has mental stats, I want you to up his to whatever you believe would make a young ballplayer say "And I took that personally".

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

I like this.

For Draft regen prospects, I would like to see a Michael Jordan that actually devoted his life to baseball. I don't know what that would do to him physically, or whatever, but if this game has mental stats, I want you to up his to whatever you believe would make a young ballplayer say "And I took that personally".

this is an awesome idea. I found this: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/scouting-michael-jordan-can-his-airness-make-it-in-baseball/

So I'm thinking I'll put MJ in as a very, very raw 18 year old two-way player; a solid arm and maybe 3 pitches. Decent contact hitter, no power, but with room to grow as he has...some natural athletic talent. Great runner but not a great base stealer. Potentially an elite OF defender. Hardest working and most competitive player around.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I like this.

Same for Tim Tebow. I don't think Tebow would ever be an all-star, but he managed to get good enough to post a .734 OPS in AA despite not having played baseball between ages 16 and 28.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Benny's stealing skills are absurd, right now he's got a 93% success rate. Even in his best years Ricky Henderson never got that high.

oldskool posted:

Kenny Giles, do we:

Coaching staff:
1) Extend both

LOOGY:
1) Trade for Darwinzon Hernandez

Marco Gonzales:

I agree with all of this

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We snag Darwinzon Hernandez for Marco Gonzales and RHP George Kirby, who is definitely ML-ready but is seriously roadblocked by our SP depth. We get Blaze Jordan as a kicker, an all-bat 1B/DH who isn't that interesting, but he turned into the greatest hitter in baseball history in a previous OOTP LP so why the hell not.

We're kind of split when it comes to Kenny Giles, so I had Pete go out hunting to see what exactly might come back. If we retain his salary (no reason not to) and possibly kick in a nothing prospect we can bring in one of the following:

Zack Burdi (4.0/4.0) is the White Sox current closer; he's pre-arb and works off of a 100 mph heater and plus plus slider. He's been outstanding the last two years for the Sox, to include closing out their WS win in 2022.

Raymells Rosa (3.0/4.0) is also a triple digit FB/slider guy currently in pre-arb for the Rockies. He's a bit less polished than Burdi but his numbers in Coors are great, so he could actually have the higher ceiling.

Nick Mears (4.5/5.0) is the Pirates closer; he's up for arb 1 this offseason. He's not been as dominant so far as the other two, but Pete thinks he has the highest ceiling and potentially the best slider in baseball.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The 4.5/5, Lets MAX OUT

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Burdi or Mears

I feel like kicking the can down the road to the end of the season just ain't worth it and cheap is cheap.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Rosa because that's a great name (put on your Gene Honda voice and say it, it rules), the kid does numbers in a hitter's park, and he's pre-arb.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
October 9th, 2023

120-42, 1st Place, AL West

League News

Giancarlo Stanton enjoys a nice late-career resurgence.

The NL Wild Card race is the best in years, maybe ever.

The Dodgers win 109 games, which, ironically enough, is only good enough for second best on the Pacific seaboard.

The Rangers and Tiger and Orioles (all jobs we were offered) seem to be in an endless race to the bottom of the barrel.

Team News

We trade Kenny Giles (100% retained) and meh prospect Penn Murfee for Nick Mears, who hits the ground running.

Injuries take their toll the second half. Keibert Ruiz misses time, Taylor Trammell makes his annual IL appearance, and several pitchers miss a week or two. The big loss comes in late August, when Justus Sheffield, in the middle of one of the best SP seasons in recent memory, goes down for the year with a ruptured finger tendon.

We extend Bruce Billings and Joey Demonte to reasonable 5 year contracts. It is likely that big money teams will come calling for them in the near future if they continue to excel.

The team in general slows down a lot in August, but rips off a 12 game winning streak in September as injured players make their way back to the roster. Benny slows down even more than expected in the summer (238/342/327 in July), but seems to adjust and comes absolutely roaring back with an epic September (337/432/475) that likely nets him the AL MVP.

Jack Leiter throws a 3-walk no-hitter on September 18th.

We roll to a league record number of regular-season wins thanks in no small part to a 23-5 record in September.

What happened the last time the Mariners had a record-setting regular season? :confuoot:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Thank you for not taking another White Sox pitcher, even though it was done before I had a chance to vote

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

What happened the last time the Mariners had a record-setting regular season? :confuoot:

Barry Bonds set the single-season home run record? :negative:

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Benny was great but the pitching staff just spent the whole year flexing on everyone. Allowing less than 500 runs all season puts us in Year of the Pitcher territory.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah that RA number is sexy

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thordain posted:

Benny was great but the pitching staff just spent the whole year flexing on everyone. Allowing less than 500 runs all season puts us in Year of the Pitcher territory.

I'm sure that's heavily influenced by how good the defense, which I assume was led by Benny, was.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm sure that's heavily influenced by how good the defense, which I assume was led by Benny, was.

We were good in DE but we were also good in FIP so it wasn't just defense.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao that starting rotation + centre infield giving people a Bad Time.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2023 ALDS: Seattle Mariners vs Toronto Blue Jays

Box Scores and Game Logs

Game 4 Highlights

Down to the Blue Jays in another extra-inning walk off homer! :(

One would have thought that the game's (arguably) best pitcher versus a guy who'd struck out four times previously in the game had a low probability for a one-pitch opposite field homer. That must have been one horrible changeup.

The World Series wound up being Yankees vs Cardinals, in a battle of most insufferable fan bases. People were less concerned about the actual scores than who represented most closely the platonic ideal of "Base Ball" which in the end, could not be agreed upon.

The Yankees won the actual games, 4-1.

This is one of the best all-around teams I've ever put together in OOTP. I can't believe they lost in the DS.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 23, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

why were we the road team in the deciding game?

e: nevermind, it wasn't actually game 5 it was game 4

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

why were we the road team in the deciding game?

e: nevermind, it wasn't actually game 5 it was game 4

because I mislabeled the link... :/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
this is so mariners.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think if this happened in my 2k thread, I would have had an aneurysm

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason 2022-2023

The Post-Intelligencer front page was particularly cruel, splashing a picture of a devastated Jack Leiter over images of disappointment from 2001 and 1995. The team sold out every game after the all-star break, and their run to an all-time record number of regular season wins had enthralled the entire region. Their abrupt -- and not terribly close -- defeat by a clearly less-talented Blue Jays team -- again -- seemed to deflate their followers far more than a simple playoff loss. The curse, it seems, is real.

Alright. From where I sit, we're at a crossroads. We've built a great team here. We've had the most wins in baseball over the last 3 season by a mile, but haven't broken through to the series yet...let alone won our franchise first.

Is this roster we've built fundamentally flawed? Or are we just at the mercy of bad rolls of the dice?

Either way, we need to make some big decisions. The trade value of most of our roster will never be higher. We can rebuild this team however we want...or we can stay the course.

Whatever, kid. I found you good players. You tell me what you want me to do.

Yearly Priorities

First, we need to decide if we want to toss a grenade in the clubhouse, shut the door, and bite our fist; simply decimate our roster (the literal Roman definition) to punish the offenders, or decide that we believe in these kids.

1) Grenade the clubhouse. This entire approach to baseball is fundamentally flawed. We trade at least half of our roster away in pursuit of a different model of player (note: if we decide to go this route, we'll vote on the direction we go).

2) Decimate the clubhouse. We're on the right track, but failure has consequences.Trade away at least 3 roster players in order to restructure -- but not totally obliterate -- our roster.

3) We believe. This team is good; we've just been on the bad end of Lady Fate. We keep the core together as best we can.

Finances

Roster Moves

This year a bunch of our young guns reach Arb 1: Gallen, Sheffield, Mears, De Geus, Munoz, Hernandez, Ruiz, Kirilloff, Naylor, Bats, and Trammell are all looking at decent pay raises. I'm assuming we extend arbitration to everyone but Dennis Santana (what a disappointment he was), but do we extend any of these guys to buy out some free agent years? If we're sticking with this core, we should get some of these guys extended.

Extensions (pick 2 or 3 to start negotiations with):
1. Gallen
2. Sheffield
3. Hernandez
4. Ruiz
5. Kirilloff
6. Naylor
7. Bobby Bats
8. Trammell

We could also look at doing one of those crazy pre-arb deals with either of the Hermanos Rodriguez (Benny and Julio), Logan Gilbert, or Leiter: buy out their entire arbitration and a few years of FA with a multi-year megadeal.

Trades

If we're going with GRENADE THE CLUBHOUSE we'll do this in more detail; if we're just wanting to decimate or trade some spare parts, here are some options:

1) Ke'Bryan Hayes. He's good, maybe even a bargain at $15m. He also had a down year, and is a prime candidate for freeing up some salary and finding some new blood. We could potentially swap him out for either a new 2B (and move Bobby Bats back to 3B), a new 3B, or something else altogether.

2) Corey Knebel. We picked up his $6m option (no brainer) but he's making a lot for a reliever and we have a lot of quality relievers. Could bring back a prospect for him and cut some salary.

3) Justus Sheffield. Do we think this incredible season of his was legit? His trade value is sky-high, but it is...non-traditional...to trade away a great young arm in arbitration.

4) Danny Arteaga. He varied between totally dominant and mediocre last season. Does he deserve another chance to prove himself in the show, or did we make a mistake?

5) Literally anyone else? I don't think we have any untouchables outside of possibly The Jet.

VOTE

1) Grenade the clubhouse.
2) Decimate the clubhouse.
3) We believe.

Note: if we pull the pin on a grenade, we'll have to have some serious additional talks on how we go forward...

Arbitration extensions (pick 2 or 3 to start negotiations with):
1. Gallen
2. Sheffield
3. Hernandez
4. Ruiz
5. Kirilloff
6. Naylor
7. Bobby Bats
8. Trammell

And/or, pre-arb megadeals:
1) The Jet
2) Julio Rodriguez
3) Logan Gilbert
4) Jack Leiter

note: we're going to run out of resources very quickly over the next few years. We will NOT be able to keep all these guys...probably. Prioritize who you think will be the best value for when our owner comes down with the budget hammer and Pete will do his best to get a deal done.

Trades
1) Ke'Bryan Hayes.
2) Corey Knebel.
3) Justus Sheffield.
4) Danny Arteaga.
5) Literally anyone else (if so, say who)?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

2. Decimate the Clubhouse
Specifically by trading Gallen as he's going to be expensive and that sort of postseason bullshit can't be tolerated.

Arb Kirilloff and Hayes and whomever else we can keep after pre-arb Bats, Benny, and Jack. If Hayes continues to be amazing, maybe dangle him as a trade chip in the future.

This is actually less about guaranteed turnover and more about standing pat but doing something about Gallen.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Believe

Give the Longoria Deal to Rodriguez

Extend Bobby Batts

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

algebra testes posted:

Believe

Give the Longoria Deal to Rodriguez

Extend Bobby Batts

This, stick with things until things just get too expensive to keep together.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Believe

Extend Kiriloff for sure.

Uh.... eyeballing things but not wanting to do the actual math, Benny's our best player by a mile, but Gilbert fairly easily gives us the most value for the wanted contract. If we Pre-arb him, do we have to give him a shitload more than the expected salary after next year's Arb? Because if not, by all means, sign him as long as possible.

So my priority for extensions is:

Gilbert (if you don't have to pay him a shitload) -> Benny -> Kiriloff -> Gilbert (if you DO have to pay him a shitload)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spring Training 2024

Interest in Zac Gallen is bizarrely low, probably due to his relatively high upcoming arbitration number and the fact he only has one year of team control left. After hunting around for a loonnnnng time, Pete comes back with Adam Kloffenstein.

This kid's...alright. Four pitches including a plus curve, back-end starter potential this season or next, with some good coaching could turn into something useful. He's a bit of a lottery ticket, but he's by far the best we could dig up. We had to toss in RHP Natanael Garabitos as a sweetener, but we got our....guy, such as he is.

Negotiations with Benny the Jet are quick and easy. We buy out his entire pre-arb and arbitration period for the low, low price of $170m over 10 years. He likely gave up ~$50m in salary for those years between 26 and 31, but he got a HUGE payment up front ($17m the next year instead of league minimum) and will still be only 31 when he hits the market again.

Bobby Bats is similarly excited to sign a long-term deal. We ink him to a 10/210 deal, and blow the rest of our available budget. He doesn't give up quite as much backend cash as Benny, but this is still a fairly team-friendly deal.

Fans LOVE the fact we signed our two young gems to long-term deals. We respond by hiking ticket prices in a desperate attempt to generate some more revenue that our owner will give us a small portion of.

We land another badly needed lefty reliever and clear some more salary by sending Corey Knebel and AAAA outfielder Michael Siani off for Burl Carraway, who the Orioles seemed to have largely given up on for some reason (he was 24 in high A last year...?). Burl has a solid 70 name tool, 99 MPH heat, and a decent curveball.

The day after Benny signs his deal, he and Bobby Bats are announced as AL Gold Glove winners. Best double-play combo since...Whitaker/Trammell?

Darwinzon Hernandez comes in second in reliever of the year.

Bobby Bats and Julio Rodriguez win Silver Sluggers.

Lou Marson wins manager of the year.

Jack Leiter wins Rookie of the Year, and then the Cy Young.

Jarred Kelenic wins his second straight MVP. Baseball nerd internet explodes -- 3 players in the AL (Benny, Bo Bichette, and Frankie Lindo) all had higher WAR. Benny says nothing but "congratulations."

Next season will likely be nuclear war from a payroll perspective; we're probably at least $15m over budget from where we sit right now. Some good players will almost certainly have to go.

Julio Rodriguez has a...weird offseason.

We can...suspend him for a week? I have no idea why we'd do that. We decide to just let it ride. loving "guru."

During the Winter Meetings, the Padres come to us with a baffling deal: RHP Pierce Johnson, one of the best relievers in the NL the last 2 seasons, for...next to nothing. We have them pay his salary this year and send them AAAA SP Nick Margevicius. I have no idea what happened here, but I'll take it.

No players make the Hall this year, although Adrian Beltre, Carlos Beltran, and Joe Mauer are all borderline in their first year or two.

On the eve of the season, our owner gives us an extra $6m for some reason. We're still royally hosed for next year.

Vlad Jr is in the BSOHL:

We'll probably have to get past a slimmed-down Vlad in the playoffs this season.

We have a bit of a pitcher bloodbath in Spring Training -- we lose four arms to long-term injuries. The good news is our only injury to someone with a role on the big club this year is Joey Gerber, and he's only out for a month or so.

The Cubs have the #1 overall prospect: a kid named Reginald Preciado, who is one of the best prospects baseball has ever seen. The most common comparison we're seeing right now is a switch-hitting A-Rod. 80 contact tool, 70 power, 70 speed. The only downside is his glove might not be MLB caliber at SS, so he's more likely a future 3B.

Julio Rodriguez gets a significant downgrade on Pete's scouting report. loving guru.

Opening Day Lineups and Staff

No huge surprises, aside from Pierce Johnson winning the closer role. One of our talented young catchers -- Logan Tanner -- makes the big club.

1. Benny Rodriguez - SS
2. Taylor Trammell - LF
3. Alex Kirilloff - 1B
4. Julio Rodriguez - RF
5. Josh Naylor - DH
6. Bobby Witt Jr - 2B
7. Keibert Ruiz - C
8. Kyle Lewis - CF
9. Ke'Bryan Hayes - 3B

Logan Tanner - C
Dylan Moore - Everything
Josh Lowe - OF

1. Jack Leiter
2. Emerson Hancock
3. Logan Gilbert
4. Justus Sheffield (L)
5. Nick Mears

Pierce Johnson (CL)
Darwinzon Hernandez (L)
Danny Arteaga
Brett De Geus
Burl Carraway (L)
WIll Vest
Andres Munoz
Wyatt Mills
Sam Delaplane

We are predicted to win 112 games.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
On the brink of the new season, the Astros come to us with an interesting trade offer.

Alex Bregman (4.0/4.0) is a free agent at the end of the season. He hasn't been AS good since losing his trashcan wingman, but he's still been a rock solid MLB 3B (274/377/500 last season, with above average glove)., and in addition, are offering mildly interesting RHP Hunter Brown (2.5/3.0) as a kicker. Brown is a tweener with great stuff; should be MLB-ready next season. The Astros want Ke'Bryan Hayes

Hayes is a tricky call. Pete thinks his bat has declined quite a bit since we brought him over, and the stats bear this out: he was a well-below-average MLB hitter last season. His glove and arm are still solid. He's on a $15m AAV contract for the foreseeable future. This isn't a BAD deal for a player of his caliber, but unless he rebounds big this season, he'll likely be atop the trade list next offseason.

If we took on Bregman, we'd need to fill our hole at 3B next year as we'd be totally unable to afford extending him. We can afford Bregman's salary this season without further issue. We actually have a couple of decent 3B prospects: Drew Bowser (2.5/3.0, #75 overall) was our first round draft pick last season; he's be a plus-plus glove and about average bat. Austin Shenton (2.0/2.0) is a minus glove, but a potential 850-900 OPS guy. Or, we could send Pete out to the territories to try and find a good young 2B or 3B (and maybe send off some salary) next offseason.

I think Bregman would be a serious upgrade for this season, and we're unlikley to get huge value for Hayes if we decide to trade him next offseason. We're running the risk of a black hole at 3B or 2B next year though: Bobby Bats could move back to 3B no problem (his better position is probably 3B, despite winning a GG at 2B last year) so we have some flexibility there, but we don't have a clear successor at either 2B or 3B depending on where we play him. On the other hand, Pete can usually find someone worthwhile, and we have a lot of player capital to play with.

VOTE

Hayes for Bregman/Brown?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 25, 2021

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Yes on Hayes for Bregman/Brown

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
OOTP is always very shy about giving the MVP award to Shortstops, it's weird. Also the guru event is one of my favorites since it almost always leads to guys just getting worse.

Do the deal, Bregman has the experience and garbage can tricks we need to make progress in the playoffs.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Go for it if Hayes' bat has declined. Seems too soon in his career to do so, but Bregman can easily step in for a season.

Also, might be time for Julio Rodriguez to be shipped out thanks to that event, but let's see how his season goes before thinking about cutting bait.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Deal.

Also I agree that keeping an eye on Julio might be a good idea. BASEBALL IS LIFE.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2024 All Star Break, Tuesday July 16, 2024
65-27, .707. 1st Place, AL West

League News

White Sox are right back on top; they're battling us for tops in the AL

Bo Jackson leads the league in batting for much of the spring? Uh, alright.

Jorge Soler emerges from years of obscurity to rip 34 dingers by the break.

Young Cubs CF Brenne Davis has one of the best 1st halves in baseball history.

Team News

We pull the trigger on the Alex Bregman deal. He slots into 3B and, after a few days of awkwardness in the clubhouse, gives a tearful apology to the team for trashcangate, after which, he fits in just fine.

Kyle Lewis misses 2 months early on with a sprained ankle. We seriously miss his precense in CF; Josh Lowe struggles in a full-time role. Hunter Renfroe has been jamming around on our AAA team for a few years; we call him up to the bigs for the first time in close to 3 years.

Alex Kirilloff heads to the IL as well with an oblique; he seems somewhat injury prone despite playing 1B.

Julio Rodriguez gets off to a hot start, and Pete submits a new scouting report that grades him out much better. So, maybe the "guru" wasn't as dramatic as we'd thought. He does, however, miss a few games with a concussion -- the second of his career. That...is worrisome.

Fan interest and attendance continue to climb even with our more expensive ticket prices.

Bats and the Jet are 1-2 in the league in WAR for most of the spring. Fans take to calling them "Bennie and Bobbie," which our marketing team runs with. Pretty soon, "Bennie and Bobbie" have their own youtube channel, and "B&B" candies and hot dogs are being sold at the T.

A lanky 2-way SP/OF named Michael "Air" Jordan enters the draft. No one knows exactly why he's called "Air."

We have no money for an international amateur so we don't even bother attending.

Tyler Mahle completes his rehab and conditioning assignment and joins the team in mid-June. The lower half of our rotation has actually been pretty forgettable so far, and he provides a welcome boost.

We take Sam Hliboki with our 1st round draft pick; he's a senior pitcher who relies mainly on a wipeout curveball. Our last Vandy pitcher worked out alright; this guy was a bargain where we snagged him. He's also probably borderline ML-ready right now.

The second guy we take is named Mattia Sparacino, who surely must be the first United Arab Emirates baseball player to be drafted? He's raw, but he's go absolutely blazing speed and some pop in the bat. Plus, his bonus demand was only $170k, which may still be more than we can afford.

Leiter, Sheffield, Ruiz, Witt, Benny, Trammell, and J-Rod make the all star game. J-Rod leads the league in votes.

Roster Moves

We really don't have much in the way of wiggle-room for acquisitions, which is probably fine as we don't really have any holes anyway. One thing we might consider is trading either Justus Sheffield or Taylor Trammell. They are both great players -- no doubt about that. They're also both going to be due $18m+ in arbitration this year, and we are going to be WELL over budget... $10m+, unless we make a LOT more money and our owner gives us a bigger slice next year.

Either could be used to bring back a good young cheap player to backfill their spot, but that'd unquestionably be a downgrade for this season, and it isn't terribly likely we get anyone who ever ends up near their quality in the long term.

VOTE

Trade Trammell or Sheffield?
1. Get someone who can help this year. but who is cheaper.
2. Get a prospect who isn't ready yet.
3. Ride it out. Now is not the time to trade all stars.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thordain posted:

OOTP is always very shy about giving the MVP award to Shortstops, it's weird.

I just noticed all the guys who finished above Kelenic were SS. It may be a conspiracy.