Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Welcome back, Pete, you beautiful son of a bitch. The best scout there ever was.

My votes are:

1. Mariners - Baseball needs this. Win one for The Kid, win one for Ichiro, win one for King Felix and The Big Unit. And I guess for Jay Buhner.

2. Pirates - We can't let Nutting keep doing this.

Sign: Benny "The Jet" - We're gonna need some positional flexibility, and I hear that kid is good in a rundown, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Artix posted:

1. Rockies
2. Mariners

I don't need to watch us be bad with the Orioles, I can do that in real life anytime I want. :v:

If past performance is any indication, we will be very, very good with no matter what team we pick. The Petes are very good baseball brains.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The only thing I feel particularly strongly about is getting Showalter. With a pile of young and/or dud players we're gonna need a guy with a head for development, and my whole wish for the Mariners was to get one for all the guys that never got one... like Buck.

Toss Paxton, absolutely, and go with Mahle, C. Javier, or Clase. Martin is also intriguing if we're building for small ball, but doesn't fit the plan of going for it. I can't say I agree with trying to push it this year, but I guess I should have been around to vote for that one if I wanted to have a say. Oh well.

I also think Seager for Wright is a no-brainer. Seager's a good dude, and a Mariner star, but on paper he's utterly replaceable.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Just a quick under-the-hood question: how are you doing trades? Are you fishing manually or using the Shop Player menu option? And how are your negotiations from there? Do you just keep trying to grab players til they say no?

Sucks that our Kyle-on-Kyle swap fell through.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I think

Trade for Voit because out bats are awful. We might sneak into a wild card. And I was under the impression we were gonna try for a run this year.

Extend Knebel to a shorter contract.

Make both roster moves.

We're standing pretty decent from a goals standpoint. But yeah. That pitching core sets us up great for next year.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Holy poo poo that Game 1.

Hilarious that we vanquished both division competitors, too. I'm not looking too fondly on the next round. Both those teams are legit.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

habeasdorkus posted:

BOOM, YOSTED.

I knew this was gonna be a problem.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fix 3B by picking up Bobby Witt Jr. He's been a stud in every single OOTP game I've ever played or participated in. I don't care what he costs, even if it's Kelenic.

Extend everyone left after the above in order from best to worst. Maybe not Smith.

We have a glut of outfielders, and giving up one, even Kelenic, to shore up our tire-fire infield is perfectly acceptable. Especially if we're making the Hayes deal, too. Like I will be really happy with where we're sitting for like five years if we make these moves. That's a solid playoff team. And with Benny coming up in that time as well...

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm okay with Kelenic straight up, but whichever leaves us the most flexible in the infield. I recognize that Safeco T-mobile is a cavern, but we have corner outfielders out the ears.

I wouldn't mind making that deal AND Hayes, but if it's either/or, then BWJ all the way.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

That's weird it doesn't seem like this

and this

have anything to make them mutually exclusive.

This is what I'm saying.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Witt, Hayes, Benny infield is seriously the sort of group I lust after. I'd feel like we'd be extremely solid with that core and a rotating cast of 1B/C dudes I think we can compete for a while before the budget gets too out of hand.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm a fan of the Ron Gardenhire School of Nicknames. Wittsy, Rodsy, Kimsy, Hayesy.

And yeah, irl I'm not a service fuckery kinda person, but we also don't have and will never have the budget to pay people what they're worth. Keep Leiter down til Super-2 Day.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Your attempts at shaming us into regretting the Kelenic trade are failing. :smug:

Also haha gently caress off Royals.

I don't dislike the video highlights, but there's something I enjoy about the quick summary format of the wrap/box score. Whatever works though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bats at third, Benny at SS, and HSK at 2nd. Assuming the stats/arms line up that way. Then wait til the three actually get too expensive, and cut whomever costs the most (not The Jet, as he's homegrown.) Were built to be cheap as poo poo for a while here.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Showalter or Marson

Stand pat see if Smith figures it out

Keep Benny down til the first injury of the three and when the recovery comes trade HSK for Kiriloff

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Isn't Kopech sort of a weiner IRL? Didn't he carry that "young stud top pick" ego til his elbow blew?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Burdi or Mears

I feel like kicking the can down the road to the end of the season just ain't worth it and cheap is cheap.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

What happened the last time the Mariners had a record-setting regular season? :confuoot:

Barry Bonds set the single-season home run record? :negative:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

2. Decimate the Clubhouse
Specifically by trading Gallen as he's going to be expensive and that sort of postseason bullshit can't be tolerated.

Arb Kirilloff and Hayes and whomever else we can keep after pre-arb Bats, Benny, and Jack. If Hayes continues to be amazing, maybe dangle him as a trade chip in the future.

This is actually less about guaranteed turnover and more about standing pat but doing something about Gallen.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Deal.

Also I agree that keeping an eye on Julio might be a good idea. BASEBALL IS LIFE.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

3. Stand Pat Can't do a proper Win-It-All-And-Blow-It-Up if we don't win it all first.

Plus of course World Series Winner is gonna drive up Trammell's price at the end of the season.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

gently caress YEAH

What the CHRIST happened to Hernandez in that series? Dude turned into a pumpkin or something.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ride things out, trade D. Hernandez, DO NOT MAKE THE BIG TRADE.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If Leiter isn't a Mariner for life (or at least through age 32 or so) I will be mighty upset.

I think we can get away with losing Trammell if we have to, but I think keeping the band together one more year and then rebuilding would be the way to go. Keep the fan interest high so when the rebuild DOES come we can justify the ticket prices.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

gibson Gibson GIBSON GIIIIIBSOOOOOON

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

67-24. Jesus H. Christ.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hmmm. Decisions this year.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

VOTE

Ballpark Renovations

1) As is

3 Year Strategy Items

Player Acquisition
1) Build through prospects.
2) Trash Heap Players

Competitiveness
1) Try to put the best team we can out on a yearly basis until the wheels fall off.

Scouting Priorities. Tell Pete where to start.
2) Pitching

Hitting tools (prioritize two):
4) Defense
5) Speed

Pitching tools (prioritize one):
2) Control
3) Movement

Pitchers:
no preference

Trades

Trammell
Ruiz

[/quote]

Let Lewis finish out his contract, then let him walk unless the owner gets lovely about him, imo. Otherwise I'm basically of the opinion that we can keep moving in the direction we're moving. Pete seems to find some good trash. Our bread and butter has been pitching, and we still have our core hitters for a while. I don't see any reason to upset the apple cart. I do find it odd that this year we seem to have been done in by our starters, who were lights-out, while our big playoff missteps the last couple seasons were from relievers. Whatever it is, I feel like pitching is, as always, going to be the thing that wins championships.

Also, if we can somehow extend Gilby for, like, less than he's worth, maybe go that route, but I have a feeling we're gonna be feeling the crunch with two Gold Glove infielders and a perennial CY candidate on the roster anyway. But we'll just have to see what we can do with what we have and what Pete digs up.

------

Also, bewbies, thanks for running this. OOTP is a pain in the rear end, especially if you're micromanaging and running reports and all that. These are always some of my most-anticipated threads/posts.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

LiterallyATomato posted:

There's not an OOTP thread besides this one, is there? I'm a newer player and I have many questions.

There is, but it hasn't seen action for almost two years. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886251

Last post by our own IcePhoenix

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

the perfect post to kill the thread since it's what killed the game (for me)

I don't even remember the last version I have. It's installed, I've just never played it. XD

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kirilloff for Moeller

Trammell for Susac

Ruiz for Jiminez

I would LOVE Sinner if we have room.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bwahahahahaha. I cannot WAIT.

Also, RIP Blaze Jordan, a legend indeed in all other OOTP timelines.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Keep Moeller. Pete Believes. I just can't in good conscience let that wheeling and dealing in the offseason be for naught.

Extend. Pitching, pitching, pitching.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I really don't want to have to give up Rocker. gently caress that dude's good.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A's. I am become Theo Goonstein, destroyer of curses.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

We can still be friends, Seattle. It's just business, you know? We had a lot of great times, but the heart wants what it wants.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

habeasdorkus posted:

I'd note that one of our goals is to improve the rep of our manager, so sticking with our current guy is unwise since what Monty wants, Monty gets.

VOTE

Manager:
2. Maddon - Seems like his type of thing, tbh.

Hitting Coach:
1. Canseco - I demand the finest steroids for our players in the land.

Pitching Coach:
1. Shuttlesworth - We're gonna need to eek out every advantage we can.

Roster Strategy

Player acquisition
1. Build through prospects - Next year is going to suck, but we'll get a couple rounds of high draft picks!

Roster Strategy
2. Tank hard this year. - We don't really have a choice, we're gonna have to try not to lose 100 games this coming year. We can get ourselves set up to make a run at .500 in year two, though.

Team Strategy
1. Sabermetrics - Matches the inclinations of Maddon and Shuttlesworth.

General Priorities
1. Hitting - Specifically, beefy boys bombing blimp-scrapers to the bay and beyond.

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
1. Power
2. Contact

Pitcher priorities:
2. Control - Walks are poison.
&
1. Starters - unless we want to go full bore 15 pitchers on the roster using openers for everything.

Not an empty quote because I'm going to say I'm interested to see what we do going completely opposite our Seattle strat.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

algebra testes posted:

Locklear and Henderson

Bash bros mk. 2

YUP.

Rest in Piss Chuck Burns.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Being in the same division as our previous juggernaut is gonna be rough, but they're gonna run out of budget soon. We sure didn't make things easy for our replacement.

Gonna have to watch the waivers like crazy till we get some development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Any but Berry.