Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
GODZILLA VS KONG MATCH 8 7.41%
TAY VS BUNNY MATCH 52 48.15%
DARBY VS DRAKE MATCH 28 25.93%
MOX AND BUCKS VS BULLET CLUB MATCH 13 12.04%
HANGMAN VS MAX MATCH 7 6.48%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Kinda hot take:

Show was fun. That’s it.

But the women’s division is doing better than the men’s division right now.

Like, a tiny smidge of an edge. I’m way more excited for what the women are doing than the men, for now.

AEW got some way high rear end standards though because they have shown time and again they can make a helluva show so fun still means it’s like an 8/10, which rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Also I think I saw Amber Nova in the crowd. Very interesting play if she’s getting a match. She is all about a future in WWE.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Tonight was the turning point for AEW friends. Y’all seen that booking. Meltzer called it out. He said AEW going down that dark path. Friends...

You ain’t seen nothing yet:

https://wrestletalk.com/news/reports-aew-star-recommending-big-cass-to-higher-ups/

quote:

Reports: AEW Star Recommending Big Cass To ‘Higher Ups’

Published 1 hour ago
Reports: AEW Star Recommending Big Cass To ‘Higher Ups’
It’s fair to say that one of the biggest missed opportunities in recent WWE history has been the tag team of Enzo Amore and Big Cass, who appeared to be on the path to becoming one of the most over tag teams in modern wrestling.

Unfortunately, a number of things, including their own conduct, got in the way of this potential, and both were released by the company.

While Amore made rare appearances in a variety of unusual places, Cass only recently returned to the ring, doing so at a recent Lariato Pro show, which also feature Enzo.

Fightful Select is now reporting that AEW and Impact star Luke Gallows has been speaking to “higher ups” about the possibility of bringing in Big Cass, with Gallows reportedly saying: “people HAVE to ask about a guy like that.”

It wasn’t specified which “higher ups” Gallows spoke to, but considering he has been wrestling for both Impact and AEW, you can make your own assumptions.

Cass is arguably in the best shape of his career, and for someone who has struggled with alcohol abuse in the past, it’s great to see him come out the other side.

He certainly has the ability to wrestle in the “big leagues”, so we’ll have to see what the future holds for him.

What are your thoughts on the above story? Let us know in the comments on Twitter or Facebook.

(Tonight was a fun show, I ain’t shook, and I don’t even know if this has any credibility. But, Joey Janela commented on it and said he would be fine if he came to AEW)

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

graph posted:

the whats

Don’t pay too much attention but Meltzer has been all over AEW’s booking issues and why viewers are leaving, specifically women, in the past 48 hours I believe. It’s been hyper critical (and it only sticks out because he normally isn’t too critical of it).

So, there’s some people latching onto that but it just amplified up tremendously after tonight’s episode. Which, plenty of positivity around it, but a little more negativity than we are used to seeing from the dumb internet.

Long story short, stories aren’t being paid off, talents aren’t being utilized (ie: It was brought up on his social media some posts that I guess Hobbs hasn’t even had a single match on Dynamite in 2021), viewers don’t like the blood and gore that’s been happening lately and a plethora of other issues like 4 PPVs is too low and won’t make them money in the end, they need 8.

Real talk though, things are fine for us over here on the ol SA and AEW constantly brings the fun. But yeah, just some news that’s been hitting the rounds lately courtesy of a very prominent voice in Meltzer.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I like that I am not entirely sure where things go from here. It’s hard to tell, for both good and bad reasons. More so the good though. I’ll tell some things that I think are time between now and Double or Nuffin’

This might be a long post. Apologies. I just gotta get this out of my system and into the universe:

Kenny and the Worlds Championship

What I think should happen: think this is where I would like to see Lance Archer fit in. Fact of the matter is we gotta have a face and I think tonight we saw Lance lean further to the light. He got to show his stuff in the Kenta/Kenny unsanctioned and let’s face it, he came out with the shine. This is his payoff. A championship match leading up to DoN.

What I think will happen: Kingston or Mox. I don’t think the booking is there yet to put Christian in (YET). Brian Cage is main event material with talent and presence but it’s not time. PAC, Fenix, backstory to put Laredo Kid in for vengeance, Starks, Darby, and we got a long list of talents with main event presence. It’s seriously too long to type out. Fact of the matter is, from AEW perspective, I think they have to do Kingston or Mox because there is no other story to tell right now. This could change depending on how the Swann/Omega match goes.

Who dethrones Kenny: Hangman Adam Page gets it next. And it will be end of the year. Kenny will have a long reign and I call back to a Young Bucks interview where they said and I’m paraphrasing: “2021 in AEW will be the year of Kenny.” He will get the long reign and it has to be Hangman who takes it. Has. To. Be. With fans back too. No other way.

Tag Titles featuring a couple of Bucks

Should: I’ll say the story probably being built does revolve around PAC/Fenix/Lucha Bros or Mox/Kingston. From here, there’s too many different ways this goes. Briefly:

1) Bucks keep turning, an inner struggle so this keeps options open for tag teams.
2) They stay heel now, and we do get Death Triangle or Mox/Kingston.
3) They go face and now we have to hotshot a heel tag team up against them.
4) Inner struggle, betrayal. We get Bucks v Good Brothers for the titles.

What I Think Will Happen: I honestly have no idea. Their story is basically around Kenny. Outside of Kenny, they just fight any tag team that shows up. It contradicts my point above with Mox/Kingston against Kenny but I think there’s also a shot we get Mox/Kingston for the titles. However, I’ll tell you the correct answer and this is where I’m going to be insufferable and die on a hill...

Who Dethrones: If the Bucks stay heel, the belts must, and I mean must, be dropped to Proud n Powerful. It’s time for Santana and Ortiz to get the belts. They are faces now and they will have a powerful reign with barn burners, just like the Bucks do right now, against other teams. It also sets up FTR to take the belts off them.

If the Bucks stay face, take the same thing I just said and replace Proud n Powerful with FTR. It’s to move stories along. And it’s time for them to get their win back and continue the best in the world talk. It’s inevitable they’re going to get another reign. This is how they get their revenge on the Bucks.

But honestly, it needs to be PnP. That’s what should happen.

PnP will do it. Final answer!

Holy Shida! You mean to tell me she is still champion?!

What Should Happen: The honest truth...It should be Britt taking it. However, I feel when Britt takes it, Thunder Rosa has to be the one to take it from her. And I don’t think we are there yet. Britt does not need the belt to be the superstar. She already is. She already is the face of the division and she ain’t lying when she says that. Oddly enough, it ain’t her time. But it’s real close. I’m talking really, really close. Like, DoN close...

What I think will happen: Cynical me says they keep the belt on Shida because they are still figuring out (but getting way better) on how to feature and showcase the women’s division. But the hopeful me says that Tay Conti takes the belt off Shida and I’m gonna take this bet to the bookie.

I think Conti is going to get the belt off Shida because she’s the only talent skill set wise who can now. She’s the only one who can match her. She’s the only one who can go toe to toe. Conti being featured lately is to show if she is ready for her first taste at stardom on a national stage. And she is passing with flying colors. She is unanimously praised by fans and her star has never been hotter. She will be able to do something this division hasn’t had yet: The full package of getting the division itself over. A presence, a look, a skill set and a media friendly talent that can elevate.

It’s her time to take the belt. For a short reign. Because Britt will take it off her in the summer. And that’s how you elevate the division EVEN FURTHER.

Who dethrones Shida: Tay Conti. It’s time for Shida’s reign to end. If the women’s division is taking a turn and Britt/Rosa was the catalyst, then you gotta change the champ out too to show a new direction. Tay Conti has done everything she needs to do to get that drat belt. It’s also a huge big faith move to all women’s talents out there that AEW is a land of prosperity. Get it.

Darby’s Starpower Reign as TNT Champ

What should happen: More open challenges to establish more dominance. Here’s what’s funny: his reign hasn’t been an all-timer. But boy, it has done something huge that might be overlooked: it’s shown that Darby is a mega star. I’m saying this as a guy who doesn’t care for Darby as my type of wrestler to cheer. But he is one-of-a-kind. Nobody wrestles like him. You notice how every single star when interviewed about who you want to wrestle against mentions Darby? Seriously. All of them do it. Everybody puts Darby over too. He is that drat good. He moves ratings. He moves merch. He has an ungodly strong fan base. This reign has only strengthened that.

Ok I digress. So, more open challenges. And it leads to Ricky Starks for the title at DoN. Because they ain’t done yet.

What I think will happen: This is where I think the should and think do actually happen. I think we get a few more opens and then Ricky/Cage duke it out to see who is going up against him.

And while Cage should win that match, Cage is not meant for the TNT title. He’s a main event talent right now. He just hasn’t been able to show it enough. Starks, while a superstar in the making, needs this belt to elevate himself. He’s just shy of main event and he still needs tuning. That’s weird to say, but he is missing just a tad bit of crisp before he is ready to start stealing the show, so to speak. So again, while Cage should beat him in a one on one, this is where the upset comes in and Starks wins, challenges Darby and we go to DoN.

Who Dethrones: Starks does. It’s the only thing that makes sense in the stories right now. Silver, I could make a case to run it back. Others, yeah, sure.

But come DoN, it will be time to call 1-800-STARKSLINE. And I’m not saying this as he is my favorite in AEW. He is my #1 guy. I’m saying it because Starks could have a phenomenal reign, own the promo time and elevate the belt even higher and create psychology around his matches that would be unrivaled.

Change the belt out at DoN for Starks. And if it ain’t DoN, that’s ok. If that’s how it goes, let Darby retain until summer. But then, he has to drop it to Starks.

Holy god that was a lot. But I feel good getting it out. It’s ok if you didn’t read it. I love the opinions and takes here and I’ll keep following along!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Meltzer got into so many heads.

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1379977552907923457?s=21

“You can’t feature anybody when you’re featuring everybody.”

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Duke Pukem posted:

jd drake being boring is not a take i expected to see. Ive thought all his matches have been real entertaining. The big guy can go

He is unique to the roster too. Nobody has his look or his promo ability. He targets a new type of fan as well that is needed for AEW. The blue collar bad rear end speaks to a lot of different sections of people!

He’s very valuable to AEW.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

From the discourse, it seems as if AEW cannot recover from its current problems so we should wrap it up...AEWailures?

There’s also incredibly loud voices who want AEW to fail. Or want that “See! I told you this was a bad idea oh my god they’re gonna start more bad ideas! We saw this in WCW!”

The fact of the matter is AEW’s standards are through the roof because they are so good at what they do and consistently are beating a juggernaut when they “shouldn’t be”.

AEW are underdogs and they’re gonna be for a very long time. They’re still new and they’re still hot and the shoe isn’t and won’t drop so to speak.

This’ll be a good few days for those folks who are dissecting AEW weekly or just really invested in the excitement or just didn’t get some stories fleshed out like they wanted this week, to just take a step back and know that it’s a long road ahead and confidently, we are going to see some incredible moments throughout the rest of the year.

But yeah, many of us, myself included who just reads and listens to way too much wrestling, just need to breathe and know that wrestling still rules and everything is more than fine.

You’re going to hear some loud voices this week about AEW for sure.

Edit: I got new red text yay!! Been a couple years. I know who did it here so thanks. :)

ICR fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Last post from me and then I’m stepping away from here for the year. Perma me if I don’t.

Queen Aminata was also ringside for last night’s show and she is amazing. Vastly improved wrestler and I am so happy to see her possibly get a match on Dark or Elevation.

She’s a nurse as well and a really strong woman who I hope looks good if she gets a match. Fingers crossed.

Cheers.