Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
VT offered Big Poppa Pump's son in the '23 class, 6'1 PG Brandon Rechsteiner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
ACC / B10 challenge matchups have been announced:

North Carolina @ Indiana
Michigan State @ Notre Dame
Georgia Tech @ Iowa
Penn State @ Clemson
Maryland @ Louisville
Pitt @ Northwestern
Boston College @ Nebraska
Syracuse @ Illinois
Minnesota @ Virginia Tech
Rutgers @ Miami
Wake Forest @ Wisconsin
Purdue @ Florida State
Ohio State @ Duke
Virginia @ Michigan

NC State sits this one out.

Purdue plays FSU again :rolleyes:

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

ColdBlooded posted:

ACC / B10 challenge matchups have been announced:

North Carolina @ Indiana
Michigan State @ Notre Dame
Georgia Tech @ Iowa
Penn State @ Clemson
Maryland @ Louisville
Pitt @ Northwestern
Boston College @ Nebraska
Syracuse @ Illinois
Minnesota @ Virginia Tech
Rutgers @ Miami
Wake Forest @ Wisconsin
Purdue @ Florida State
Ohio State @ Duke
Virginia @ Michigan

Purdue plays FSU again :rolleyes:

As far as I'm aware FSU is the only ACC team, we never play any others.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

ColdBlooded posted:

One less humiliation on the schedule.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I do not love VT drawing Minnesota the year after we won the ACCT. :/

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Why do you all think so many guys from U Michigan declared despite probably not being ready? (houstan being the maybe exception)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Dejan Bimble posted:

Why do you all think so many guys from U Michigan declared despite probably not being ready? (houstan being the maybe exception)

Diabate is French and not a dual-citizen, so he was likely not allowed to get any money from NIL deals. Also, he's more or less a 5, and with Dickinson coming back, he would still be stuck at playing the 4, where he wasn't quite right on offense/defense. It was also widely assumed he was a one-and-done.

Roughly same for Houstan, he came in as a probable one-and-done, just didn't quite play to that level. He's also Canadian, not sure about any dual-citizen bit. So part of that is Howard deliberately recruiting nationally-known one-and-dones, though Beilein did get a few (Brazdeikis and Wagner(s) come to mind).

The transfers are the weird bit. Zeb Jackson left the program mid-year after being personal reason-away for weeks, never found a reason why. Frankie Collins outright transfered possibly due to a parental choice/interference when Michigan brought in a grad-transfer PG, has a freshman PG coming in, and Frankie wasn't going to be The Guy outright for 30+ minutes. Brandon Johns made sense, as he had a massive falloff last year and definitely needed a new start somewhere.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

facialimpediment posted:

Diabate is French and not a dual-citizen, so he was likely not allowed to get any money from NIL deals. Also, he's more or less a 5, and with Dickinson coming back, he would still be stuck at playing the 4, where he wasn't quite right on offense/defense. It was also widely assumed he was a one-and-done.

Roughly same for Houstan, he came in as a probable one-and-done, just didn't quite play to that level. He's also Canadian, not sure about any dual-citizen bit. So part of that is Howard deliberately recruiting nationally-known one-and-dones, though Beilein did get a few (Brazdeikis and Wagner(s) come to mind).

The transfers are the weird bit. Zeb Jackson left the program mid-year after being personal reason-away for weeks, never found a reason why. Frankie Collins outright transfered possibly due to a parental choice/interference when Michigan brought in a grad-transfer PG, has a freshman PG coming in, and Frankie wasn't going to be The Guy outright for 30+ minutes. Brandon Johns made sense, as he had a massive falloff last year and definitely needed a new start somewhere.

Good to know. Thanks for the answer

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Houstan had one and done in his mind from the jump.

Diabate didn't want to do the school part any longer.

Both got drafted and can work on their games full-time rather than as a student athlete. Hard to blame them. If they flame out in the NBA, I imagine both could have pretty good overseas careers.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The "best high school player since LeBron James," Emoni Bates is transferring from Memphis to Eastern Michigan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He is from Ypsi but yeesh

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

He is from Ypsi but yeesh

Yeah. It turned out he was shorter than people expected, with a shorter wingspan, and tiny little hands. Disappointing

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This is a football move, but lol

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1542619910999838721?t=eCnJLK8-7jC5IftFjVXnIg&s=19

The wonderful Midwestern universities of USC and UCLA

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'll keep it basketball relevant by using basketball to say please also take Kansas, Big 10

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
It’s basketball relevant, it’s all teams except beach volleyball lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Way more discussion is happening the ncaa football thread in case someone happens to read this and not the other.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
So how many teams does the Big *ahem* Ten have now? 14? 16?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
16 and counting.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Couple days late, but Cyclones picked up a commit from 5* Omaha Biliew (he's from Waukee, IA, not Omaha). Possibly the highest rated recruit ISU has ever gotten. Probably helps the guy lives like 40 minutes away from Ames, but past coaches couldn't even get 5* recruits that lived in town (see Harrison Barnes). I normally don't follow recruiting, but ISU boards are blowing up over this. Otz could always recruit, so here's hoping he's building an even better team next year. This past year showed he was getting a lot of effort from the players, they just didn't always have the talent.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky is hosting an open practice/telethon to raise money for the eastern Kentucky floods. The players are also using NIL to sell shirts with the whole team on it with net proceeds going to flood relief. Apparently it was the players' idea to do something, especially Kentucky native CJ Frederick.

Say what you want about Cal as a coach, but he does a lot of good in the community. This, the fundraisers for the western Kentucky tornadoes last year, the Haiti earthquake, others I know I'm forgetting. And a lot that isn't in the public eye. I know he even still contributes to a charity in Memphis my cousin is involved in.

In basketball news, yesterday Calipari teased a big announcement during the practice, with rumblings of it being a home-and-home with Gonzaga. Tonight it was confirmed, Spokane this year, Rupp next year. Should be a pretty good game, especially the Oscar Tshiebwe/Drew Timmie matchup.

https://twitter.com/JackPilgrimKSR/status/1554604123185680384?t=q1DSjfesrQUCJPRBfV-3jg&s=19

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

UK has Michigan State (in Indianapolis), at Gonzaga, Michigan (in London), UCLA (in New York), vs. Louisville and vs. Kansas. Only Gonzaga is a true road game, but dang, that's a schedule.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

How is Duke still pulling in all these top 30 guys

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Paige Bueckers tore her ACL playing a pickup game and will be out for the entire 2022-2023 season.

https://twitter.com/DanielVConnolly/status/1554919684746665984?s=20&t=IPl6g4jFpsIB6kM0bLKNAg

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Chief McHeath posted:

UK has Michigan State (in Indianapolis), at Gonzaga, Michigan (in London), UCLA (in New York), vs. Louisville and vs. Kansas. Only Gonzaga is a true road game, but dang, that's a schedule.

Only reason I think Cal decided on this schedule is the recruiting class he is expecting to get this year. We are expected to get DJ Wagner alongside Rob Dillingham in the backcourt.

We haven't had a potential backcourt this good since Fox and Monk IMO.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Chief McHeath posted:

The "best high school player since LeBron James," Emoni Bates is transferring from Memphis to Eastern Michigan.

And has now transferred to jail on gun charges.

What a fall from grace, his dad did him zero favors.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Regnevelc posted:

And has now transferred to jail on gun charges.

What a fall from grace, his dad did him zero favors.

The sad thing is, during those first couple of games, dude looked legit as a spot shooter. Granted, anything else was a complete mess.

Don't forget, he reclassified to come out early by a year which also didn't help and it was obvious he was small (not muscular) on the floor.

I'll throw another Memphis name in the mega bust category. Adonis Thomas - the guy who was Zion Williamson when Zion Williamson was watching Saturday morning cartoons.

Dude stuck around another year after an ankle injury and was awful. Went from projected lottery pick to fizzle.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm having trouble thinking of anyone who reclassifying helped except maybe Ingram. And even then you could argue he might have been the #1 pick the next season instead of the #2 his season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I know there's beef here for whatever reason (I suspect we know the reason), but this is the biggest layup question to not look like an rear end in a top hat in the world Kim.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1574480161155825674

Like, you don't even need to opine on anything, just say something like 'I'm praying for peace and hope everyone goes home safely' and you're fine.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
This is cool

https://twitter.com/KentuckyMBB/status/1578030547930005504?t=ko02rH9GZh-jXoWdo5ua2Q&s=19

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Matchups like that are one of the pluses of College basketball over football. They're not afraid of losing one game to a good team since it won't sink their chances at the tournament.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
It's really cool that's a 6 game series. I'd say those are the two most reliable CBB programs that don't have a real strong in-conference rival, so you can get some real strong animosity and competitive games going in November/ December.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Matchups like that are one of the pluses of College basketball over football. They're not afraid of losing one game to a good team since it won't sink their chances at the tournament.

Something something Gonzaga's weak rear end conference wins

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

in favor of anything that gets zags and the cats to play stronger teams more frequently before march and playing each other is best case scenario

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yeah this and Duke vs Arizona looking to happen every few years now, I like where the sport is at right as far as someone who uses it to scout for the NBA.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I know after winning it all this gives me license to say things that might not be true for everyone but for like a decade now Kansas has been scheduling the best teams in the country and it routinely gives them a really hard schedule which helps in seeding and also helps in seasoning when it comes tournament time and I think it shows.

Remember when they were getting blasted in the first round, that doesn't happen anymore.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

I know after winning it all this gives me license to say things that might not be true for everyone but for like a decade now Kansas has been scheduling the best teams in the country and it routinely gives them a really hard schedule which helps in seeding and also helps in seasoning when it comes tournament time and I think it shows.

Remember when they were getting blasted in the first round, that doesn't happen anymore.

Famously that is Tom Izzo's strategy as well. MSU has an insane schedule this year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Famously that is Tom Izzo's strategy as well. MSU has an insane schedule this year.

Now that K has retired and UK went out in the first round last year I do believe Self and Izzo are 1 and 2 (not respectively) in postseason wins so

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

its cats year and everyone knows it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

40 lbs to freedom posted:

its cayuts year and everyone knows it

if you're gonna say it say it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009